Tamron have gone a bit nuts too

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Tamron have gone a bit nuts too

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

http://www.parkcameras.com/24635/Tamron ... -Fit-.html

Wow that's an insane price for a macro well over twice the original 90mm. Glad I got the older one I'm sure the new one is good, again no discount for no VC filter size 58mm also not welcomed.
I'm sure the price will fall and quite a bit, but I'm wondering if these third party lens makers have missed the appeal of more affordable lenses.
Same story on the new 70-200mm f2.8
http://www.parkcameras.com/24638/Tamron ... -Fit-.html

Really not much cheaper than the OEM makers. Again prices will drop
Screw drive or not (hey who cares with the good prices on screw drive lenses) I think the market is being updated with VC lenses to appeal to Canikon users (which I can get) but it seems in body AS users are getting ripped off on prices (no VC so why not a bit cheaper?) And third party lenses are just getting quite a bit more expensive.

Tamron would want to cut the price of both of those a lot to make any sense.
Andy B
Heirophant

Re: Tamron have gone a bit nuts too

Unread post by Andy B »

Couldn't agree more, Barry. Glad I still have my 4-year-old Tamron 90mm macro. The no VC thing with no price discount is irritating, and I refuse to buy any Alpha-mount lenses marketed this way.
bfitzgerald

Problem is they do have some nice offerings. I'm not in a hurry to pick up any of the new ones though.
I'm sure they would get more respect by offering a bit back on prices for non VC lenses.

Mostly the 17-50 and 90mm are the 2 lenses I've consistently come back to across various mounts. I can see the 70-300mm as appealing to some in need of a good non fast tele zoom. I do wish Tamron would make more primes though I'd love them to have a bash at a 50mm and 35mm. Or do a 16- something mm as an alternative option for kit lens upgraders.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Barry Fitzgerald wrote
I can see the 70-300mm as appealing to some in need of a good non fast tele zoom.
I have the new Tamron 70-300mm motorized and I would not say that it is "non fast".
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

I think that Barry meant fast as in wide aperture rather than AF speed?
bfitzgerald

I was talking about lens speed ie aperture rather than focus speed.
It's a bit of a no brainer in that price range. Sony 70-300mm G is heaps more expensive (better put towards a faster lens IMO no idea why anyone would spend nearly £700 on a slow lens like that) and probably not better on an optical level.

Also the older Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 is actually still cheaper than the Sony!
cosmonaut1959
Oligarch

Unread post by cosmonaut1959 »

I am using a converted Leica R 90mm. Other than being MF I can't see getting a better 90mm than the Leica. Prices are low if you shop hard enough.
a99, Carl Ziess 24-70mm
a77, Tamron 18-270mm
Fuji Xpro 1, 18mm
Leica M4/M6
bfitzgerald

According to this there are no optical advantages to getting the new Tamron 90mm macro v the old one (bar better CA control) of the AF motor/VC. Depends how much you put into their scores though

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Public ... omparisons