New Sigma 18-35mm f1.8

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

New Sigma 18-35mm f1.8

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/18-35 ... il_m_1_new

http://petapixel.com/2013/04/18/sigma-d ... f1-8-lens/

Hey they've def done something different here. But I would expect the price to be pretty hefty too. Will be interesting to see how this does optics wise
mvanrheenen

Re: New Sigma 18-35mm f1.8

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

And it will be Canon, Nikon and Sigma mount only :-(
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Recent test from DxO Mark proves it to be insanely sharp, sharper than other lenses on an APS C camera
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Public ... erformance
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote: Hey they've def done something different here. But I would expect the price to be pretty hefty too. Will be interesting to see how this does optics wise
800$ for such a lens doesn't seams "hefty"
They will introduce this lens in Sony A, Nikon, Canon and Pentax mount
http://www.adorama.com/SG1835DCSO.html
Alas, it is a DT/APS-C lens
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Winkler Prins
Initiate

Unread post by Winkler Prins »

Mark K wrote:Recent test from DxO Mark proves it to be insanely sharp, sharper than other lenses on an APS C camera
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Public ... erformance
Well Sigma are going to have to do it NEX-style before they get my money...
bfitzgerald

Uk price is £699 bit less than I expected. I did anticipate the price being quite a bit higher, when the release news came out there was no suggestion of price.
The lens looks interesting, not sure it's my cup of tea. Optics looks very good, though it's not a light lens and it's open to some debate if folks will find the wider end at f1.8 useful.

Not a bad idea though it's certainly caught people's attention as something quite different.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Seems like an interesting lens, certainly with the fast aperture and reasonably short MFD. Not for me, but could lead to creative images!
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

I like the 1.8 max aperture for low light... I may pull the trigger for use for the night time band performances, though the 2X zoom is a bit short. I suppose to make more range would make it a huge, expensive lens. Any idea on release date?

John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

If Sigma do bring out a Sony A mount version, then I suspect they have done their home work sufficiantly well to warrant the go ahead which must say some thing about the the future of A mount.
It must also be destined for the NEX mount but its going to be heavy and big for the NEX body. More interestingly, is if they bring out a M/4/3 version.
This just might stir up Canikon.
Juanito200
Viceroy

Adorama and others have the Sony version for pre-order.. You can't, however, have their interesting USB docking system for A-mount...
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
bfitzgerald

Well if they don't do the dock for A mount I can't see people wanting to buy many Sigma lenses. Maybe it will turn up at some point, but looking at the AF reports on this lens it appears to be one lens that could use the dock for AF tweaking.

Personally I'm not into Sigma much, I tip my hat at this offering for being different. I can't see it being a must buy though if you have a 16/17-50 f2.8 with a couple of fast primes maybe 35mm or 50mm, it would be quite hard to see where this would find a place in most people's bags. Nice idea though
Juanito200
Viceroy

I've read those reports too, and they are giving me pause.. The AF system on the a77 will only let you set one change, where the Sigma dock would let you adjust more focal lengths.. I am in the market for a fast zoom, but I may go with the Sony 16-50 f2.8, as it is an established lens. Also, I bet I could a find a 16-50 f2.8 at a Sony store around town, where as I doubt there is any chance of me finding the Sigma in any store in the entire Dallas metro area..I may wait to see if any Sony early adopters use the Sigma on the a77, and discuss their experience. I do like that idea of such a fast zoom. It would be great for when my kids are in the stands during a football game...