CZ A-mount 24 real CZ 25 FE mount

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

CZ A-mount 24 real CZ 25 FE mount

Unread post by peterottaway »

Has anyone out there actually been able to sample the new 25mm and compare it with the CZ Sony ( Zony ) 24mm ? At the moment the 24 mm is available and about $ 150 cheaper than quoted prices the new Batis lens.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: CZ A-mount 24 real CZ 25 FE mount

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Can't compare with the Batis, but I can tell you the performance of the 24mm ZA SSM is transformed by using the A7RII. It hunts a lot before fixing focus on all the other A7 bodies, but just zips straight to focus and tracks perfectly on the A7RII with LA-EA4. I'd say it compares directly with the 28mm f/2 for speed, but I'm selling my 24mm. Reason is that I will normally use the 28mm for everyday lower light shooting at f/2 as it is so much smaller and lighter and needs no adaptor, and the 16-35mm f/4 FE will cover at 24mm, and buying both these lenses and the A7RII has put a large credit bill in place to be paid in September... so no real choice.

I will miss the exceptional close focusing of the 24mm, which at 19cm from the focal plane is very close to the subject indeed - lots of adaptor and lens within that 19cm.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

The reason I asked about the 24mm A mount is that I am very undecided about buying the FE 16-35 / 4.0 as for some time I have barely used my Series 1 16-35 / 2.8 as a zoom. And 24/25 mm would suit me just fine as this is a long time favorite length.

I do have the 15 mm and 35 VSL, 18mm Y/C, 21 and 28mm Contax G plus the 24mm Olympus so in many ways it is pointless to buy anything at all. But I'm still of the opinion that a high quality modern AF lens may come in useful in a traveling kit.

The counter argument is that even with a couple of adapters I could just as easily carry the existing 15 or 18,24 and 35 or the 21,28 and 35. Especially as unless I'm going to be shooting in a very dark space and desperate for time, I will be stopping the lens down.
Last edited by peterottaway on Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Or another alternative would be to sell my current 16-35 and 24-70 lens and buy the PZ 28-135 lens and a G AF adapter. Currently the PZ is selling for just about $200 more than the new Series 2 16-35 zoom.

A bit of a heavier weight solution but probably no more so than a Nikon 810 and similar len(s).