lens Choice

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Re: lens Choice

Unread post by peterottaway »

What PP are you using ? I have Iridient Developer, DxO Optics Pro and Capture One 9 Pro for Sony ( as of a week ago). Because I'm most used to it I start with DxO and then go to I D as necessary.

I'm more and more of the opinion that not only the inbuilt lens correction function, but your raw processors reaction ( probably not the right word ) to it can make quite a difference to how good you think a copy of a lens is. Sure you can get a lemon or a copy that is almost impossibly good but for the rest in between ?

I must admit to being one of the Abode haters out there and haven't had any Abode program on a computer since 2010 at the latest. But when you look at a number of posts where there have been quite heated arguments about colour, exposure or lens performance - it seems often that the different sides are using different software and processing methods.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

I am using Lightroom and the photos are JPEGs. Funny thing is LR thinks it is 18-200 lens when what I have is 16-80. 16-80 does not even show up.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Of course it doesn't mean that Lightroom is not carrying over correctly from the camera the JPEG lens correction coding but it does make me wonder somewhat.

It would seem that the Lightroom programmers and testing staff ( if any ) are not making much of an attempt to get the best performance out of the camera. Good enough is good enough and all that. After all it is not like screwing up on the Nikon 750 / 810 or the latest Canon 5D where the bosses will be rapidly called to account over it.

I'll get back to something more positive now like trying to work out Capture One or whether do I really need to add Affinity Pro to my iMac ?
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Sury, I noticed that in LR the jpg's and arw's from my a77m2 have the correct lens for the exif data, but when using lens profile corrections there is a very limited number available for the jpg's while my limited supply of lenses are all available for arw's including the 16-80. However, you can still manually adjust and (I believe) create a profile for the 16-80 for jpg's.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Sury,

Happy New Year to you.
I'd probably say the same. The majority need the exposure altering in LR but now I often just dial in +2/3, it really depends on how much sky is in the shot and how much deep shadow is present. I found because I use a lot of the smaller focus groups, the exposure accuracy seemed to improve. I haven't read up on the manual but the exposure may be linked to the focus sensors in which case if you use a lot of "wide", it will often have a lot of sky in it. Just a load of my waffle but others might know for sure.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Jeff, Thank you. I will experiment with Raw and see how "auto" does it. My jpeg auto in LR always boost the exposure and rightfully so.
Mike, I have center with wide selected. Perhaps making it center and selecting the point might improve.
It is worth experimenting. Thanks for the pointer.
Wishing all a (belated) happy new year too.

Sury
sury

Unread post by sury »

pakodominguez wrote:

Contact my friend Gabriela Valdez [email protected] 0115184229456, she will build a package, following the program you already decided, for you r budget -I organized a photo safari to Peru few years ago, I asked her to take us to different places and asked her for 3 stars hotel/transfer/restaurants service. For dinner we usually ate light and I managed to find nice restaurants following the mood of the day. My brother used to take his students to Cusco and he used to ask 2 stars or just "Student class"...
Pako,
We have not heard from Ms. Valdez. Just to let you know. Perhaps it is a busy time/season.

Sury
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

sury wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:

Contact my friend Gabriela Valdez [email protected] 0115184229456, she will build a package, following the program you already decided, for you r budget -I organized a photo safari to Peru few years ago, I asked her to take us to different places and asked her for 3 stars hotel/transfer/restaurants service. For dinner we usually ate light and I managed to find nice restaurants following the mood of the day. My brother used to take his students to Cusco and he used to ask 2 stars or just "Student class"...
Pako,
We have not heard from Ms. Valdez. Just to let you know. Perhaps it is a busy time/season.

Sury
I'll going to call her (I understand they are taking February off, and they will be coming to NJ/NY, so we need to organize a couple of things anyways)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

sury wrote: Mostly inside of cathedrals, I presume, unless it tends to be cloudy and darker due to winter but being sub-equatorial I am presuming
it should be ok to lose 1-2 stops. Is that a reasonable inference?
Peru is right in the tropic. In the tropic you don't really have 4 seasons, or even "winter" and "summer" but a dry season and a rainy season. The sunset in February (summer in Peru) will be probably 1.5 hours later than during wintertime, not 4 or 6 hours apart like what you can experience in San Francisco or Canada or northern Europe. Now, what is "summer" in the coast of Peru, is rainy season in the mountains and the jungle. April is the beginning of the dry season, is quite beautiful in the mountains because everything is green and nights are not that cold.

All year long, dusk last very little, so don't expect that kind of photographs without a tripod anyways. Some churches are well light, but not Cuzco's Cathedral (that is beautiful, but dark). I'll go for dramatic chiaroscuro shoots...
sury wrote: I am using Lightroom and the photos are JPEGs. Funny thing is LR thinks it is 18-200 lens when what I have is 16-80. 16-80 does not even show up.

Sury
LR profiles are 100% made for RAW. Some custom profiles that you can download and install are for RAW or JPG. You can find the profile, duplicate it and change the code in order to make it work on JPG (look on this forum for and old post were DK build the first profile for the SEL 16f2.8, there is a conversation about how to hack it )
Anyways, if you are going to a beautiful holidays in Peru, you are not going to shoot JPG, right? You are going to shoot RAW...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sury

Unread post by sury »

Thank you Pako. If you put it this way "if you are going to a beautiful holidays in Peru, you are not going to shoot JPG, right? You are going to shoot RAW...", I think I will have to shoot it in RAW. :D I always did it in JPEG in all my travels. Usually I did RAW when the lighting conditions tend to be poor or challenging. But with the A77M2 accepting SD cards and the prices of SD cards being what they are, RAW is not all an issue as far as storage capacity goes. I already have 2 64GB cards, and picking up couple of more is not an issue at all. Well, RAW it is then...... :)

Sury
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

sury wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:

Pako,

Sury
Gaby have not receive your email.
send me your email address by PM and I'll put you in contact with her.

Best
Pako
------------
sury

Unread post by sury »

Pako,
That explains it. Sent you a PM.

Sury