lens Choice

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: lens Choice

Unread post by Dusty »

sury wrote:Looks like the consensus is to take A900 and two lenses or get a wide angle lens with A77II.
Looks like A77II stays home. I am not telling my wife about it, since one of the "rationale"
I gave was reduction of weight. :wink:
Alternately I can have a rationale to acquire a UWA lens and feed to my LL. I don't see a downside
to my situation.. :lol:
Sury,

While I still lust after an A900, my A580 has so much more to offer in image quality, hi ISO usability, as well as pano,over my previous DSLRs, that I wouldn't hesitate to take it over the A900 IF I was just cutting weight. Luckily for me, the old Marine in me still has no problem with packing everything I need, so I don't skimp.

I can't imagine that the even later generation A77II doesn't have even more to offer for you then the 900. And you may want that long reach for some shots that APS-c gives you.

Feed the LL and give in o the 8-16!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Birma wrote:Hi Sury, my 2 cents. Take the A77, sell the Tamron as you have the Cz in the same range, and get the Cz 16-80. Great general purpose lens and nothing better quality wise on aps-c. If you want an uwa I'd suggest trying the sigma 8-16 for aps-c.

Then again, if size / weight is an issue time to go e mount :). A6000 is incredible bargain right now, and nice e mount cz 16-70 to top it off.
Andy,
My apologies for missing your post. I did track A6000 since my Nex5 is on a "long term loan" to a niece. I wanted to buy that for the boss lady who wanted a small thing that she can put in her bag. Even Nex5 was big and I got her a HX50V and even that was too big and my niece took that back to India when my brother's family visited in Summer.
I have been a "pack rat" and has not sold a single lens yet, though the CZ24f2 is collecting dust and Tamron 200-500 is no longer needed now that I have 70-400G. The CZ16-80 sounds like a good choice along with 8-16 that Dusty and you were suggesting. Perhaps having those two in the arsenal in the order of getting 8-16 and then 16-80 will make my choices that much better and I do not have to debate and delay the decision till last minute and take whichever I "feel" like at that time.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Eiffel
Initiate

Unread post by Eiffel »

While I also own an A900 (with 24-85mm and 28-135mm lenses, among others), I find the A700 with the CZ16-80mm to be a better travel combination, as it is lighter, has a built-in flash/controller and as a single lens covers most of my needs. I'd guess the CZ16-80mm would also work with the A77MKII, but haven't had a chance to play with this combination extensively.
Proud owner of DK's dearly missed A900 ;-)
sury

Unread post by sury »

I would only guess 77II ought to be better than A700 in terms of image quality, Eiffel.
Thanks for the input on that lens.

Sury
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I have a "solution" for you, Sury: tell the wife you NEED to bring both cameras because you are planning to do still with one and video with the other...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sury

Unread post by sury »

Pako,
That is brilliant. :D In fact I should let her "have" the A77II for video and take it off her once in a while.... :lol:
and in the process get at 16-80 or 8-16 as a movie shoot "need". :twisted:
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Great plan Sury. But if you want the best out of video on the A77m2 and you use AF, you will want a very quiet lens. My 16-80cz doesn't seem to noisy but it's very noticeable on the video, even with a hotshoe mounted mic. So don't just settle for the 16-80. Get something better, whatever that may be. :)
sury

Unread post by sury »

Only other recommendation is Sigma 8-16. Price wise it is a wash. Given it could be either I wonder what would be better?
I am already talking "as if" I am going to get one of these......

Sury
chriznatch
Initiate

Unread post by chriznatch »

I went to Machu Picchu a couple of years ago with an a57 and an CZ16-80 and Sony 18-250. No regrets on those lenses. My only regret is not spending more time in the ruins in the afternoon. Everyone heads up in the morning, so you get a lot of crowds in your shots. Starting after noon, people hit the buses heading out. If you wait, you can get some priceless shots of a deserted city without people. Have a great time!
sury

Unread post by sury »

Thank you chriznatch. That is a great suggestion. Let me make sure that we have plenty time rather than rush back.

Sury
the_hefay
Viceroy

:) Sury, I love my 18-60. it's a good walk around lens. I wasn't trying to make it sound as though it was a bad lens. Just that if it's used for video keep in mind the mic will pick up every AF adjustment it makes.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

the_hefay wrote::) Sury, I love my 18-60. it's a good walk around lens. ....
What kind of lens it is? 16-80? :shock:
PS. Sury, CZ in Africa going to be CZ, better than Sigma. :P
Everything in the life unusual!
the_hefay
Viceroy

:oops: oops 16-80CZ
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

According to one review I read, the Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 ( non stabilized version ) is as good as the CZ for less money.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

A big difference between a 16-80 and a 17-50.

Quite a reduction in MP between the equiv of a 75mm and 120mm in lens reach.