broken Sony 24-70mm G-Master lens

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

broken Sony 24-70mm G-Master lens

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGvlX9BtiTQ&t=305s

Ran across this by accident I see DK has already commented
Looks to me like a clear case of a product fault. If I were him try the nice guy approach first, if that fails unleash the Panzers. I took both Sony and Fuji to task on repair problems via social media and they both caved in. If you go into that you had best be right about it and you have to be persistent. Hit them hard and frequently until you get the result. Sony initially resisted so I expanded my case to a global stage across their facebook platforms. Make it visual photos etc and it's a sure fire winner

Social media is a powerful tool if you find yourself in such a situation. What bothers me is I've had pretty bad experiences with camera makers, but not other products. The design looks faulty on that lens
bfitzgerald

Re: broken Sony 24-70mm G-Master lens

no comments surprising. It's not shocking to have something fail even an expensive lens. What is interesting is that they disputed it as a warranty repair when it seems to be just that ie manufacturing fault.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote:no comments surprising. It's not shocking to have something fail even an expensive lens. What is interesting is that they disputed it as a warranty repair when it seems to be just that ie manufacturing fault.
I don't see a massive amount of people with their 24-70 G lenses broken on their cameras. And I'm avoiding getting into denial mode. I think it is too adventurous to say that Sony have a problem here -what I mean is that the problem is with whoever run the Customer Service department for Norway, that definitely screw up the whole thing.

I remember one of those interviews with Japanese management, before the A9 announcement, where the guy said, when asked about "professional level camera", that they were considering it, and he mention that that camera had to be good for event/wedding photography because the mistreatment the gear endure. So, I believe Sony engineers "knows" about the photographers' challenges.

The heaviest lens I use on my A7SII/A7R is the 70-200f4, sometimes the SAL 24-70 f2.8 with the LA-EA adapter. But even with the lighter 24-70 f4 I pay attention to the way I hold the kit, most of the times by the lens, avoiding stress to the mount.

So yes, I think this is a customer service issue...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

It's not shocking that a lens mount broke away it does happen. There might be a design issue (as the video says they revised it). What is unusual is they rejected it twice for service ie warranty. I mean looks open and shut to me ie fix it for no cost customer has not abused the lens. I hope he got it sorted out I would be pretty disheartened to have that on a pricey lens