Minolta 28-105mm RS Review

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Minolta 28-105mm RS Review

Unread postby bfitzgerald » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:29 pm

I am gradually working through the lens reviews so patience is required :D
Have to use them enough to come to conclusions about the performance

My video review is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEt7UL5-bpE

Conclusions are in short solid zoom lens which will work best for FF users, though it holds up pretty well on APS-C if you can live with the 42mm equivalent at the wide end.
The lens surprised me in a few ways it's usable wide open at the top end, albeit with a bit less contrast. It's pretty consistent across the range and stopped down a bit resolution is very good.
V the 24-105mm my thoughts are simple both lenses are quite sharp that is not the issue neither disappoints (price relative to performance of course). The 28-105mm has less vignetting, less distortion (still has some tele end not quite as much as the 24-105mm), better flare control, less CA by quite some margin and it's just easier to work with ie less post processing tweaking - but it's a bit heavier than the 24-105mm and not quite as small (both are compact lenses)

I would consider it as a very fine choice for a standard lens on 35mm. I know the Tamron 24-70mm G2 isn't on A mount - the previous one is, however it's just too damn heavy for me as a normal lens. I'd rather bag a faster prime for low light and save lugging it around. On crop situation is different a lens like the Tamron 17-50mm is quite light and small you don't feel it. Is 28mm wide enough? Well 24mm is nice at times for most uses I'd say it is. Add a 100-200mm F4.5 and you have a 2 lens landscape kit which takes up little space in the bag.

I have more lenses to look at this one is a keeper IMO. If you are on full frame and can get a good copy it's a bargain

Return to “Lens Lore”