Fast AF Telephoto lens suggestions?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Fast AF Telephoto lens suggestions?

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Lens just arrived serial indicates it's a later production model (2002), as does the middle pinch cap (another sign)
About as nice condition as I could get I held out for quite a long time to nail the right one

Optically it's stunning wide open at F2.8 across the range. I've never used the Sony 70-200 F2.8, all I can say is you wouldn't hesitate to use it at F2.8. AF is fast and seems accurate though I've only used it on the A99 so far, there are some drawbacks longer min focus distance, some CA at times though minimal in most cases way less an issue than the old Beercan (which I still use and have a soft spot for). Pure Minolta look and contrast it's a gem

A mount continues to serve up some awesome bargains :mrgreen:
DSCF6255.JPG
(692.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSCF6256.JPG
(673.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

While I was still invested in Minolta/Sony A mount I had an 80-200 f2.8 and it was a corker, one of the few lenses I really miss. I bought the Sony 70-200 SSM, thinking it would be an improvement focus wis, thoroughly testing it at all the most used focal lengths and apertures and it was no where near as sharp nor the out of camera colour rendition as good as the Minolta so I sold it and kept the 80-200. Enjoy.
bfitzgerald

Using it more seems I might have a problem. Everything was going great, but now it seems to be "sticking" at the infinity position, almost as if the gearing has jammed. As you know the cameras shift to infinity powered off, it does it most times if I move it around sometimes it unsticks and works normally.

I do notice a screeching sound almost like a whine in some positions. If I switch to MF it still sticks you have to force it to move, the camera body just can't move it if it's stuck (tried it on all the bodies) Anyone ever heard of problems with this lens? It's so well kept it seems unlikely it's had much use. I know the cheapo sigma's sometimes mashed up plastic gears, but a lens of this type must surely be metal all the gearing. If I take it off at infinity I can't turn the screw slot, also noticed at close focus it's also sticking.

What a tragedy, I find a perfect example of my dream lens, the optics are stunning, wonderful renditions of the out of focus areas, beautiful contrast, and looks like I'll have to return it. I'll play around more at the weekend, but it's not going to be too useful if it sticks focus - I did get it for action type stuff. First time I've heard of a screw drive lens problem or seem one myself all the other lenses I have never seen a problem.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

There is no such problem with my Minolta 80-200.
Very strange. As far as I know, no one has complained about such a problems with this lens. :(
Everything in the life unusual!
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

Really sorry to hear this. I never had any issues with mine in the 8 or so years I owned it, and it was second hand when I bought it. I seem to remember that there was some discussion about the HS version being too highly geared for the later film bodies and the digital bodies as it was designed at a time when the screw drive af was quite slow. Don’t know how much credence to put on that thought though as I used it on a Dynax 9 then 7d, A100, A700 and A900 with no problems..... Hope you get it sorted.
bfitzgerald

I got in touch with the seller so I'll have to arrange a return. Their camera tech said dirt might have hardened making it hard to turn the gears, it's not getting better only worse. Unless there is some other reason such as a problem with the mechanism. It was working fine for a few days no problems, then for some reason the sticking started. Unless something dislodge on the internal rails.

If I can get it fixed I don't know I'll send it back to them so they can look at it. I was barely able to do some tests shots as the focus even in MF was stuck in places.

All I can say is, optically it is absolutely stunning. It's superb wide open across the range. The out of focus rendering is beyond any other lens I've seen, it's ultra smooth. Having used a Canon 70-200mm IS II I would say the MInolta is superior, looking around at the new G Master Sony nothing I've seen from that comes near to this lens for the rendering it's pure pure magic. Even busy backgrounds melt away smoothly it's got that pop and contrast. Whoever designed this lens knew what they were doing, none of that onion ring nonsense that plagues modern lenses. It's not just resolution it's the look for me, and this has it big time. There is no other lens I would want to use in this focal range even top dollar stuff wouldn't interest me

I'll get in touch with them again to arrange a return, see if it's fixable or if not I'll keep you updated. Bit disappointed perhaps I'm super unlucky. Still I did get a taste of the magic for a short time
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

bfitzgerald wrote:I got in touch with the seller so I'll have to arrange a return.
I'll get in touch with them again to arrange a return, see if it's fixable or if not I'll keep you updated. Bit disappointed perhaps I'm super unlucky. Still I did get a taste of the magic for a short time
The lens is of course excellent, but something went wrong, perhaps someone before you tried to twist the focus ring in autofocus mode and made the primary problem.
Try to find the same from another seller.
By the time I have been using this lens, I can say for sure -
this optics is really unique.
Everything in the life unusual!
bfitzgerald

It feels as if something is jamming, it might not be gears but the rail on which the front element rotates/extends. Hard to know exactly. I did a search it doesn't seem to be common at all, but I did uncover this:
https://www.dyxum.com/dforum/minolta-af ... 05906.html

Nobody replied so I assume it's uncommon. It does feel like it's jamming, as if something is blocking it at times. Move the lens around a bit sometimes releases it, so I'm guessing something has dislodged. When it was working I did notice a slight screeching sound at the infinity mark as if it was metal on metal contact (not gear sound)

Another post here where someone dropped it and damaged it
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/33910696

It was working so my money is on something in there sticking the sliders or mechanism. It hasn't had any damage and it was working initially, but as the camera tech guy said it's not been in use for a good while, that might have moved something around who knows

It is unique I've never seen rendering this good on a zoom lens in that range, nothing I've seen from modern lenses seems even slightly close, they look somewhat clinical to my eyes (some are nice but never to this level). That contrast, smoothness is not something you see often, and it holds it right out to the edges even wide open. There is little to fault some slight CA at times, nothing dramatic mostly. Optically it's something special IMO - hopefully I'll get something sorted
bfitzgerald

Update on the lens, I shipped it back to Germany. They said they would fix or refund which is fine by me (I still have the warranty on it)
The lens service reported "hardened gear lubricant" as the cause, so they said they have serviced the lens and it's working. I'll update when it turns up again. Assuming it's working fine I've no problems with it then I'll be happy enough, there are not too many samples around in Europe in nice condition, they appear once in a while. I'd imagine it will show up early next week so I'll see how it performs when it's here again.
bfitzgerald

I got the lens back serviced, but it again started acting up. It's as if something is jamming it up
Whilst the lens looked in great condition, I have doubts about it so I returned it and got a refund. It locked the focus at certain angle, for some reason hence I think there is wear/play somewhere inside.
Main thing is I got my money back so I'll keep an eye out for another one. I have to buy EU or else you get hammered on customs charges!