Alpha A100 A700 used professionally ?

From portraiture to photojournalism, fashion, weddings and whatever
petercoupe

Alpha A100 A700 used professionally ?

Unread post by petercoupe »

Hi all,

Up till now I have mainly used film for almost all my work, but I have recently been getting involved in digital.
Having been a happy Minolta owner I plumped for the Sony A100 as a first 'serious' digital SLR. I am enjoying the camera, and am impressed with the quality it gives me, plus I can use all my old lenses.
I have a couple of portraits and a wedding coming up in the Spring, and was thinking about 'doubling up' my film cameras with the Sony A100.

Has anyone used these cameras in anger?
If so, are you - and your client(s) - happy with the results?

Please don't tell me that pro photographers only use Nikon and Canon - that would mean I'd have to pay back all the cash I've earned using my Minoltas over the last 20 years!!

Any comments would be of interest.

Thanks
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Alpha A100 A700 used professionally ?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The only thing I would be careful about would be low light at ISO 1600. Good light - that is, dull light but not shadowy - is OK even at 1600. Surprisingly good actually, even with the original firmware. You will improve the camera's performance if you upgrade the firmware to v1.04, the latest revision. For a wedding, I might even consider not shooting raw, because setting DRO+ and using JPEG greatly improves the dynamic range and detail of many wedding situations. It is best to use Hi200 for wedding pictures, with or without DRO+, as this setting guarantees that you won't get burned out wedding gown white.

David
bobwalk3
Acolyte

Re: Alpha A100 A700 used professionally ?

Unread post by bobwalk3 »

I am a retired newspaper photographer and have photographed a lot of weddings using film. Several years ago I made the switch to digital and I love it. I have been using a KM 5D and I am about to add an Alpha 200. I really don't want to be bothered with presenting proofs and going through the process of selection and constructing an album so I have tried to make the process simple. I shoot several hundred pictures; edit; put them on a disc; make contact type proofs; present them as a pckage (like giving negatives away, once a real no, no) and I'm done. Many, many young couples are computer savy. They can print their own or go to a local self print. I have a price schedule for prints if the customers wants me to print. (I'm paid in advance for my service, of course.) Please visit my web site - take a look - robertwalkerphotos.com