Brain dead camera feature design (Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, etc.)

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Brain dead camera feature design (Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, etc.)

Unread post by bakubo »

I own Canon, Panasonic, and Olympus cameras and they all have the same brain dead, annoying behavior in one respect. I bet you have noticed this too and you just shake your head in wonder that these camera companies all have the same ridiculous design feature. I am hoping there is some camera company that gets it right though.

Here is the mind boggling design error I am talking about. It is about how the mode dial memory/custom settings work. The several cameras I have experience with from Canon, Panasonic, and Olympus do it this nonsensical way:

1. You set the camera up the way you want to.
2. Save that setup as a memory/custom setting on the mode dial.
3. Then if the mode dial is set to that memory/custom setting and you turn on the camera the camera will be setup just like the settings you put in that memory/custom setting! You are guaranteed the camera is set to a known configuration. How stupid is that?!?!?!

This obvious design fault doesn't get mentioned in written and video reviews so we are gobsmacked when we discover it after buying. Clearly Canon, Panasonic, and Olympus do not have any photographers working for them and ignore the pleas of all real photographers about this design error.

Clearly what we all want is this behavior:

1. You set the camera up the way you want to.
2. Save that setup as a memory/custom setting on the mode dial.
3. Then if the mode dial is set to that memory/custom setting and you turn on the camera the camera will be setup in whatever rather random way it may have been set when the camera was turned off (5 minutes ago or 5 weeks ago) and the memory/custom setting is totally ignored. You know, basically it should behave the same as when not using a memory/custom setting. No one in their right mind wants a memory/custom setting to return the camera always to a known configuration for instant use!

Is there any company that does this properly? Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Pentax?