Memory Stick Issue

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
bossel
Viceroy

Memory Stick Issue

Unread post by bossel »

Just got our new T900 (yes, T, not alpha :? ) and a brand new Sony Memory stick. Camera is a gem and seems to work fine (it's amazing how it detects faces and how you set the focus point on the touchscreen... But it doesn't recognize the MS (it's a pro duo 4gb magic gate). It says 'Reinsert Memory card'. I tried with a MS (also 4GB pro duo) from a collegues cell phone and it works fine. He tried my card in his phone and it works fine. Ever heard of this? Will try tonight in my A700...
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Memory Stick Issue

Unread post by Javelin »

New card? might be dead I suppose. have a look at the end of it where the contct strips are. if the end is damaged those, for want of a better term "lane dividers" may prevent a contact from being made. I don't think a bad format would prevent it from being read.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Maybe it doesn't understand high capacity (4Gb) :?
If it works on your A700, then that's it.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Doc, it's a 12Mp camera and needs high capacity MS. And there is a 'cashback' going on, I have to send in the invoice and will get a free 8GB MS from Sony France.

Oh and, ah, hmm, it does work in the A700. But my firends 4GB MS worked in the T900 - I think there is some mysterious incompatibility issue. Or just a physical issue with the contact seperators as Javelin mentioned. Will test further tomorrow...Have 1 week left before leaving on vacation. Might just pop into a shop and get another MS and keep the other one in the A700 as backup.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Magic Gate - that's a security lock mode? Do you need to password/enable the card in some devices?

David
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Do you need to password/enable the card in some devices?
Dunno, the card seems to work in other cameras but not in the T900. Also, other cards seem to work in the T900. I can go to memory-card management in the menu and select 'format', even this doesn't work. Now I just tested with an old 32MB card my friend brought and it works! Will rush out tonight and buy another 4Gb card, leaving Sunday morning so I do need some storage :D
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bossel wrote: Now I just tested with an old 32MB card my friend brought and it works!
Will rush out tonight and buy another 4Gb card, leaving Sunday morning so I do need some storage :D
Looks like the best move to make, buying a brand new card. Taking the T900 to the shop to test how they comply would reduce further complications as well.

And ...have a good trip. :D

Yildiz
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

the 4gb pro duo magic gate card is special somehow and I think only works on devices for copywrite material. the sony compatability chart shows that it's the only MS that doesn't work on any cameras. must be special for MP3 players? I didn't have time to readd all about it
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Also I came across this, a guide to spotting the fake MS cards. theres been a lot of these around I guess.

http://reviews.ebay.com.au/FAKE-Sony-Me ... 0001535703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the compatability page

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/support-i ... dl=DSCT900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Thanks Javelin for the info. When I have a minute I'll check this out - maybe it's really a fake card, you never know.

What leaves me puzzled, that card works in other devices including my A700. And my T900 seems to work with any MS but not that one card. This morning my friend brought a really old 32MB MS to work and we tried it successfully in the T900. Must be some kind of incompatibility issue. Anyway, he offered me his 4GB card we tested successfully yesterday, in case I couldn't find something before my holiday. Also, I had opened a post on dpreview and someone answered that he had a MS that didn't work in one device, so he just switched it with the MS in another camera. Could it be that MS has exremely small tolerances?

Anyway, popped into a local shop tonight, bought another Sony 4GB pro duo magic gate and it's just working fine. Go figure!
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

there is a note but not an explanation on that compatability page about 4g cards and the T900. just do a broweser search on the t900 and it'll be the 2nd or 3rd hit down the lower end of the page
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bossel wrote:Anyway, popped into a local shop tonight, bought another Sony 4GB pro duo magic gate and it's just working fine. Go figure!
Then you're all set to joyously soak up the Sun while the T900 happily soaks up the memorable instances ...

:D
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

aster wrote:Then you're all set to joyously soak up the Sun while the T900 happily soaks up the memorable instances...
Well, I'll be careful with the sun :? Anyway, tomorrow we get up at 4am :( and we only just booked our hotel in Bodrum :mrgreen: Hope to be back 10 days later with good memories! Though I won't share any pictures for a while, the camera stays in Turkey with my wife a bit longer...
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bossel wrote:
aster wrote:Then you're all set to joyously soak up the Sun while the T900 happily soaks up the memorable instances...
Well, I'll be careful with the sun :? Anyway, tomorrow we get up at 4am :( and we only just booked our hotel in Bodrum :mrgreen: Hope to be back 10 days later with good memories! Though I won't share any pictures for a while, the camera stays in Turkey with my wife a bit longer...
Hi Bossel, :)

We have the Powerboat races on the Bosphorus for three days at the moment. They sped for the pole positions yesterday and today and tomorrow the sprint and endurance categories are being raced. This meant that I and and a couple of other enthusiastic photographers were standing on the banks and docks to photograph the event. I stood under the Sun for only 1 hour and I'm already a little pinker than I was where the skin was exposed. Yes, you should be careful with the Sun.

Have a safe journey and stay in Izmir,
Yildiz