My RX100 first report - review now up

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
mvanrheenen

Re: My RX100 first report - review now up

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I agree with you assessment alphaomega, although the camera would've been perfect if the screen was tiltable. Taking lower angle shots is a real pain now.

I actually sold my Nex kit in favor of the RX100. Yes, sometimes miss the larger sensor, tiltable screen and higher ISO capability, but it's nothing I can't get over. The smaller size outweighs these factors for me.

Mark
johnstra
Heirophant

Unread post by johnstra »

There is a big difference between the Fuji X10/X20 and the RX100 - size. You can put the RX100 in pretty well any pocket. You need a big jacket pocket for the Fuji. This is a very important difference. I would say that the X20 is going to be a much better camera than the RX100 but if you want a camera that will be with you at all times then it's the RX100 for you and there is simply no point in making the camera larger by adding a viewfinder as it would negate the whole raison d'etre of it.
Bob Johnston
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I carry a case for a compact camera so I've no need to put it in a pocket. Something that is good for IQ is ideal for this purpose.
Sony deserve credit for the concept, and small size and the IQ looks very good too from what I have seen.

But there are times I get frustrated in harsh light with a back LCD, so a viewfinder is something I do like even if it's just once in a while I use it.
For this reason, Fuji have bucked the trend by offering a viewfinder in models like this. That is why IMO they are getting a lot more interest from photographers.
I'll probably give the X20 a bash in the year if it's free from the Fuji goofs we've had to put up with for a while!
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Had my RX100 out a few times now. My NEX-6 has had to stay at home. Very impressed by the images produced by this little thingy. Compared with my Lumix LX5 I love the bigger files and the ability to crop without worrying about remaining file size. Not managed to start video yet by accident. AF is fast and exposure accurate. I feel as if I have "found the holy grail" for a pocket camera. I have been through Fuji 900, LX2, LX3 and LX5. Bought the NEX-6 with 16-50 pancake and I now feel I have arrived at some sort of destination. No longer wonder about my next carry everywhere camera. It has arrived.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

If it had GPS I'd have one again straight away!

David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Found a mint boxed almost unused one on eBay for about the same price as I sold mine. Rebought. May regret it with Focus coming up, bargains possible, but I realise that this camera is much better than anything else when I thought at the time there would be further advances. Althoughn I use my NEX kit a reasonable amount, I can see that I just don't use it enough; I use my Fuji F770EXR a fair amount, but it is very challenged for ultimate image quality.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Found a mint boxed almost unused one on eBay for about the same price as I sold mine. Rebought. May regret it with Focus coming up, bargains possible, but I realise that this camera is much better than anything else when I thought at the time there would be further advances. Althoughn I use my NEX kit a reasonable amount, I can see that I just don't use it enough; I use my Fuji F770EXR a fair amount, but it is very challenged for ultimate image quality.

David
;-)
It is such a camera... I bought one last year, used it for a couple of months or so, and sold it. I'm always tempted to buy one again. But I already decided that the NEX 7 is my everyday "pocket" camera, I don't need more cameras, even beautiful ones like this -Even the wife ask me once in a while about this little beauty, that she liked also very much, and why I don't get one. Let's see what happens with the next generation...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

David Kilpatrick wrote:If it had GPS I'd have one again straight away!

David
I know is not the same, but can't you register a waypoint with your smartphone? then you add the location on LR4...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

While they are bigge than the RX100 and less flexible than the NEX series, the Fuji X100s looks to be a very desirable little camera as would be the various iterations of the Sigma DPM if only their raw files could be converted in Lightroom. The latter, in particular, looks to be a wonderful camera for landscape photography - and not just when weight is an issue.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

artington wrote:While they are bigge than the RX100 and less flexible than the NEX series, the Fuji X100s looks to be a very desirable little camera as would be the various iterations of the Sigma DPM if only their raw files could be converted in Lightroom. The latter, in particular, looks to be a wonderful camera for landscape photography - and not just when weight is an issue.
The Fuji X100s is not really small (bigger than any NEX) but it still is a desirable camera. I saw the Fuji REP the other day, he was carrying the camera so I took it for 5 minutes and played around with it. AF is better than the previous model and the hybrid viewfinder works wonderfully in both positions. But, as I told you before, it is far from been a "little camera"
Pako
------------
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

I was thinking about the new NEX-3N, that is really small. and pocketable thanks to the pancake kit lens 16-50. For 500$, it is almost as small as the RX100 and cost 150 less!
Well, the zoom is shorter (75mm equivalent against 100mm on the RX100) and it is not f1.8 at he wide end. I believe the RX100 have better video modes.
If I shop (again) for a pocketable camera, I think the NEX-3N will get first on the list.
Pako
------------
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The RX100 AF during video - and the sheet quality of the video, for sharpness - is better than Alpha or NEX.

This is not very exciting, as it is just a technical exercise, but -

http://youtu.be/gvmHFG2e1xY

View it at full 1080p. I do not think a NEX could do this, I've had reasonable tracking of focus with the 16mm f/2.8 but of course the NEX does not focus close like this - not down to a few cm.

First day at Focus, I used NEX and RX100. Second day, only used the RX100. Nothing else.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Hi David,

I saw the video on Facebook. The lens on the. RX100 is specially good at the wide end (the rest of the zoom is average...) and sharp wide open. I don't believe the SEL 16-50 is a match for the RX100 lens. -the only reason I'll consider to buy the next RX100 generation is if Sony improves the zoom quality at thje long end.
Pako
------------