Canon G15, G16: Some thoughts on my new camera

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Canon G15: Some thoughts on my new camera

Unread post by Birma »

Very good points Henry. We have such great kit to use and digital makes learning through your mistakes a lot easier (and cheaper!). I think that people photography requires the connection between the people in the picture and behind the camera more then the kit. DigitalRev TV have had a series of videos where they give pros very cheap kit and ask them to go out on the streets of Hong Kong to take pictures. Great examples of talent over kit.

Of course I still love dreaming about exotic kit!
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

For the last few days I have returned to FF...at least, temporarily. :) In February 2000 I spent a month traveling in Vietnam and when I returned home I scanned a small number of my Fujichrome Sensia (ASA 100) slides. I was using a Minolta Alpha 707si, Tamron 28-200mm Super f3.8-5.6, Tokina 20-35mm f3.5-4.5, and Minolta 50mm f1.7. I pulled out the old slide boxes and have been scanning more of the slides (most of these photos I haven't seen since March 2000). I am reminded how much better things are for me now when I travel than even just those short years ago. In October 2010 I was back in Vietnam for a month with my A700, Sony 18-250mm f3.5-6.3, Sony 11-18mm F4.5-5.6, and Minolta 50mm f1.7. All stabilized and I used ISO up to 1600 routinely when needed and a few times used ISO 3200 and 6400. With film I only had ISO 100 and no IS which meant fewer options. Now with m4/3 I have much less of a load and easily go up to ISO 6400 occasionally and IS with any lens.

Many of the photos in the Magnum exhibition I saw last week were old B&W images taken in the 1940s through 1960s. I think some were in later years too. What was the ASA speed of typical B&W films used in the 1940s through 1960s? I know that in the 1970s when I got into photography three of the most popular Kodak B&W films were Panatomic-X (ASA 32), Plus-X (ASA 125), and Tri-X (ASA 400). I assume that in the 1940s the B&W films were much slower. Does anyone know? I did some searching on Google and couldn't find any information about this.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

bakubo wrote:...
Many of the photos in the Magnum exhibition I saw last week were old B&W images taken in the 1940s through 1960s. I think some were in later years too. What was the ASA speed of typical B&W films used in the 1940s through 1960s? I know that in the 1970s when I got into photography three of the most popular Kodak B&W films were Panatomic-X (ASA 32), Plus-X (ASA 125), and Tri-X (ASA 400). I assume that in the 1940s the B&W films were much slower. Does anyone know? I did some searching on Google and couldn't find any information about this.
Henry, Lots of early systems were in use for film speed, even before Weston, which was probably the stand used by these guys. A lot of the film in those times would be ISO 12-40 today, pretty slow. Back in the '90s I reprinted a bunch of pics for my Uncle Claude, and a few of them were early Kodachrome, ASA 8! But at least it was color!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

You could push B&W Neg quite a bit further and Colour Neg a little bit more but E6 had to be done very carefully or the dreaded 'grain' would start to wreck the picture, bit like digital noise. My favourite B&W was Ilford FP4 using orange or yellow filters for landscapes.
My hero was and still is Ansel Adams for his superb B&W landscape calendars.
I still take a few B&W neg now and again on my Minolta XD-7 because it can be so atmospheric and dramatic, its some thing I have never quite achieved with digital, I'm sure it can be done but I have yet to equal my B&Q Neg pics.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I got an email today from B&H that says they have the G15 for $299 right now. I think the G16 is just too expensive. The G15 is still the one I would get and for $299 it is a great deal.
classiccameras
Viceroy

When my wife was checking out the G16 reviews she also noticed the Nikon P7800 which was their answer to Canon's compact. It got pretty bad reviews by comparison and we checked one out at my local dealer, the EVF was the worst I have ever looked through and I wondered why they bothered. It was also a slow camera. I don't understand how Nikon could market such an inferior product.
I used my Friends Olympus Stylus XZ 2 the other day and I am very impressed. you can add a plug on EVF same as used on the Pens, but the cost was prohibitive. Nice compact with the same size sensor as the Canon.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The G's are pretty good overall I've pointed a few people in their direction over the years and most have been pretty happy with the cameras (the viewfinders could be better though)
I see no point look at the G16, when the G15 is a decent deal

Saying that I was all set to buy an X10, but then the X20 came along (price ok but more than I wanted to pay) in the end the XS-1 price (curious about it but wasn't seriously considering it) bagged the deal. It's funny how things change on bargain clear out deals

The Nikon not use the latest one, the last model had no VF at all (silly mistake to make) I don't think they have the pull of the G series, Nikon users might go for them (as they can use their flashes etc)

I keep hearing about a 1" sensor X30 Fuji that might be a cracker, but probably a bit pricey at launch
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:I keep hearing about a 1" sensor X30 Fuji that might be a cracker, but probably a bit pricey at launch
Yep, bet it will be. New lens too, I guess.
classiccameras
Viceroy

The 1" sensor could also be destined for a high end bridge camera possibly a XS-2. Can't let Sony get all the glory with their RX 10.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I'm not sure on that, maybe Fuji do try new things. The XS-1 is a fine camera (weather has been a bit iffy here not had much chance to use it fully), but it isn't a £699 camera which is where they priced it at launch (it's nicely made but still the sensor whilst good isn't huge). You might be able to sell a 1" sensor at that price though, just about

I still think it's a good idea to buy later on and enjoy the bargain prices. The G15 is a pretty good price now too, this is the time to grab a deal. Same for the RX100 first version, prices are good now. Launch prices on cameras suck, that's my view!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I arrived in Tokyo a couple of days ago and have gone walking about in Tokyo a bit using the G15 again. I am flying off to Istanbul next week for about 4 weeks of travel around Turkey. I may pick up the new Oympus 9mm f8 fisheye body cap lens for my E-M5 and take it along on the trip too. Plan to take the G15 also.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Istanbul and Turkey sounds great Henry :) . I'm sure Yildiz could provide some tips on places to visit if she is around?

That fish eye will be great in the Hagia Sophia :).

Any chance of some cherry blossom shots before you leave Japan?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I went ahead and bought the fisheye yesterday. I wrote about it in another thread though since this thread is mostly about the G15.

I only have a tablet with me in Tokyo so I can't get my photos to work on right now. After Turkey I will do it.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Here are a couple of recent G15 photos from Japan at an izakaya (pub) and after a few beers at night. Getting a head massage. :) Note that these were unfortunately taken as jpegs at ISO 800 and I was using what I have discovered is a very poor jpeg setting (lift shadows) so don't judge IQ from these since I prefer raw. I like these photos a lot though.

Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Who had had the few beers Henry? the subjects or the photographer? :lol: pretty decent candids from a p&s (even if a top class p&s) just the same.
Greg