Canon G15, G16: Some thoughts on my new camera

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Canon G15, G16: Some thoughts on my new camera

Unread post by Birma »

I think it has become a pretty common feature, Henry. My iPhone has it, for example. Very useful when you have very bright sunlight in a picture.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:I think it has become a pretty common feature, Henry. My iPhone has it, for example. Very useful when you have very bright sunlight in a picture.
Not surprised that it is common these days. There are a bunch of other jpeg features on the G16 which I have paid no attention to also. Just discovered this HDR thing by accident and it is quite useful. It is great for high contrast images that are too much for the jpeg/sensor combo. Actually, it probably handles high contrast scenes without blowouts better than a single raw can do.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

bakubo wrote:
Birma wrote:I think it has become a pretty common feature, Henry. My iPhone has it, for example. Very useful when you have very bright sunlight in a picture.
Not surprised that it is common these days. There are a bunch of other jpeg features on the G16 which I have paid no attention to also. Just discovered this HDR thing by accident and it is quite useful. It is great for high contrast images that are too much for the jpeg/sensor combo. Actually, it probably handles high contrast scenes without blowouts better than a single raw can do.
This got me to looking a little more closely at my "new" a580, and it also has a HDR feature. Inexplicably, it can only be utilized when I'm shooting JPEGs. I know it would have to save things as a JPEG, but so does my "Sweep Panorama" mode, which I can still use when in my customary RAW + JPEG mode, saving the JPEG result only.

Seems like a shame that they don't let you do a HDR via a single button or dial setting. Anyone know if I can reprogram one of the other modes I don't use to HDR?

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty, does the A580 HDR mode require a tripod or can you handhold and the camera automatically align the photos to create a single, merged jpeg? The G16 can do this so when I discovered that I have found it very useful sometimes. The resulting HDR jpeg is not overdone so it really helps with high contrast situations. Of course, after I import into LR I can do PP on it if I want.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

bakubo wrote:Dusty, does the A580 HDR mode require a tripod or can you handhold and the camera automatically align the photos to create a single, merged jpeg? The G16 can do this so when I discovered that I have found it very useful sometimes. The resulting HDR jpeg is not overdone so it really helps with high contrast situations. Of course, after I import into LR I can do PP on it if I want.
Henry,
It doesn't require a tripod, but the images from my quick and dirty test show that it's sharper if I hold still! Here's an HDR that where I purposely did a "mini-sweep" to see it it would match.
DSC02939HDR-web.jpg
(143.9 KiB) Downloaded 2196 times
No real reason for it to be HDR, just wanted to check what it would do!

As I said in a previous post, you can only do this if you go into the menu and set the camera to save only JPEGs. That's a shame, because I can so 'Sweep Panorama' without setting it for JPEGs, even though it doesn't save the RAWs used to create it. A serious defect, IMHO! If you can auto-override the settings for one function, why can't you for a very similar function? Sony screwed up there.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty wrote: It doesn't require a tripod, but the images from my quick and dirty test show that it's sharper if I hold still! Here's an HDR that where I purposely did a "mini-sweep" to see it it would match.
Yeah, when I use the HDR function on the G16 I don't intentionally move the camera so I don't know how well it could handle intentional movement of the camera. Also, an HDR is made up of 3 quick consecutive exposures so in your case inside you may have had rather slow shutter speeds for each exposure. Of course, each one would have been blurred so combining them would result in a blurred photo. :)

Yes, it is unfortunate that the 3 raws are not also saved on the card.