Canon G15, G16: Some thoughts on my new camera

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Canon G15: Some thoughts on my new camera

Unread post by pakodominguez »

agorabasta wrote: Then there's the case of Sigma DN lenses that are not even recognised automatically by Adobe, yet the CA corrections are always applied even if the whole lens correction module is switched off. Moreover, those lenses work on Nex5N with full corrections too which means that the info is in the lens itself and is somehow translated into the raw file since the 5N was out much earlier than those DN lenses were even announced.
Hum?
Hard to believe third party lens transmit data to the RAW file...
About switching off lens corrections on LR, this is what Tom Hogarty answered:
"No switch for non-profile based corrections. Behavior goes back to '08. Haven't heard enough requests for a disable option."
https://twitter.com/LR_Tom/status/326821907167059968
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

pakodominguez wrote:Hum?
Hard to believe third party lens transmit data to the RAW file...
No other way to interpret the behaviour that I could think up.

Of that inability to switch off the embedded corrections, that's a very unprofessional approach. But then again, Adobe doesn't even know how to adjust saturation without unnecessary clipping in the weakest channels. They are very good at certain things while being totally pathetic at some specifics.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

bakubo wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:I'm quite interested in the Fuji X20 it seems to address some of the issues on the X10. I think that's the direction I'd head in, give it a bit of time and the price might be right for me.
I have held and played with all the Fuji cameras, including the X20. I haven't read any reviews so I know very little about how it works in practice, but it is quite nice to hold and the OVF is bigger and clearer than the G15. The X20 lens at wide angle intrudes more into the OVF than the G15. The lens always sticks out even when the camera is off so that right away took it out of consideration for me. The G15 may work out to be put in a jacket or cargo shorts pocket and easily taken out, but the X20 is a no-go for me. The X20 price is 50% higher than the G15.

I wouldn't pay the Fuji's asking price right now either...then again I'd not pay the over £400 for the G15
X10 is under £300, Fuji are well known for some very hefty price drops once it's been out a while.
I'll wait until later this year to see what they are at. But I do like the output from the Canon too looks very decent
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

pakodominguez wrote:Hard to believe third party lens transmit data to the RAW file...
I don't know about the E-mount Sigma lenses, but the m4/3 mount Sigma lenses do, I think. m4/3 cameras write lens correction data to the raw file. I suppose it is part of the m4/3 standard. Some 3rd party programs read it and use it (LR, for example) and some don't. With the programs that don't read it you need a separate m4/3 lens profile.

Possibly for the G15 and some other lenses LR just has the lens profiles within the program rather than as separate lens profiles. I don't know why they would do that though.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:I wouldn't pay the Fuji's asking price right now either...then again I'd not pay the over £400 for the G15
Whew, that is a bit high. I just checked Amazon UK and see it for £415 ($634) there. The black X20 is £484 ($739) and silver one is £500 ($763). The prices are quite high, but the difference between the G15 and X20 price is not as large as in the U.S. and Japan.

In the U.S. the G15 is $400 and the X20 is $600 (I only checked at Amazon). In Japan the G15 is about 38,000 yen ($382, £250) and the X20 is about 55,000 yen ($552, £362). At the current exchange rate the G15 I bought a couple of weeks ago worked out to about $385. I could have gotten it for $375 from an electronics shop in Akihabara in Tokyo that I have bought stuff from before and they could have shipped it to me (they are on the internet), but I decided to buy it from Amazon Japan since it is so much simpler and the shipping would probably be faster. I ordered it with the free shipping option and it was in my hand in less than 23 hours on a Saturday morning.

Just a side note. Last year we were in Japan for 6 months when the dollar/yen exchange rate was the worst in history (well, worst if you are using U.S. dollars in Japan). The exchange rate was in the $1 = 76 to 79 yen range while we were here. Even so I was able to get a good deal on a Canon S95 from Amazon Japan since it had just been replaced by the S100 (and I actually preferred the S95). I also got a good deal on a new Olympus 9-18mm, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-42mm, and Panasonic 45-200mm (all less than in the U.S. even with the terrible exchange rate). All the other m4/3 gear I wanted was too high so I waited until I got back to the U.S. This year the much better exchange rate ($1 = 99.5 yen) sure is a relief.
bfitzgerald wrote: X10 is under £300, Fuji are well known for some very hefty price drops once it's been out a while.
I'll wait until later this year to see what they are at. But I do like the output from the Canon too looks very decent
Yes, maybe the X20 will be down before long. Your prices sure are high in the U.K., but maybe there are better prices at other places than Amazon UK.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

So what about the image quality of the G15 Bakubo? Been looking around and found a review stating that the IQ was good for the size of sensor, but not at good as the Pana LX7. Have had Pana's LX2, 3 & 5 and quite impressed at low ISO, but what do you think of the G15? My wife takes pictures for books and some pictures would cover the full spread (A3 size) The Pana LX series could do that and even the old Fuji E900 of old at a stretch. She would need that quality up to ISO400 I would say. Apart from that issue of IQ I think the G15 might be for her.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

alphaomega wrote:So what about the image quality of the G15 Bakubo?
It is good.
alphaomega wrote:Been looking around and found a review stating that the IQ was good for the size of sensor, but not at good as the Pana LX7. Have had Pana's LX2, 3 & 5 and quite impressed at low ISO, but what do you think of the G15? My wife takes pictures for books and some pictures would cover the full spread (A3 size) The Pana LX series could do that and even the old Fuji E900 of old at a stretch. She would need that quality up to ISO400 I would say. Apart from that issue of IQ I think the G15 might be for her.
I have no interest in the LX7 since it doesn't have an OVF. You can download raw files for the G15 and LX7 and process them to see what you think. Good luck!
Last edited by bakubo on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I was walking around at Matsuyama-jo (castle) and I came across these newlyweds. I asked to take their photo.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5501.html

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:I wouldn't pay the Fuji's asking price right now either...then again I'd not pay the over £400 for the G15
X10 is under £300, Fuji are well known for some very hefty price drops once it's been out a while.
I notice that dpreview has their X20 review up today. I haven't read it, but if you are still interested in the X20 you might be interested in checking it out.
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

bakubo wrote: I was disappointed to discover that even though Adobe claimed that 4.3 had support for the G15 that when I loaded them and started working with the G15 raw files that although the raw files were handled there was no G15 lens profile.
I will have to check at home but I think you have to search for it and download it.
I can't remember if you have to install an Adobe app to do that - I think so.

Harvey
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

harvey wrote:I will have to check at home but I think you have to search for it and download it.
I can't remember if you have to install an Adobe app to do that - I think so.
If you continue reading in this thread you will find the answer.
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

I found that I was mistaken, it was the G9 profile that I downloaded. For G15 the LR 4.3 release introduced support but the lens is not mentioned on the list of supported lenses.
It would be nice to see more detail/evidence for the suggestion that the profile includes lens correction data.

Harvey
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

harvey wrote:It would be nice to see more detail/evidence for the suggestion that the profile includes lens correction data.
I am satisfied. See my post in this thread, but if you find something else then I would be interested to see it.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

This is at Ishite-ji in Matsuyama.

A public toilet. Yes, I placed my feet in the frame intentionally. :)

Outside Dogo Onsen in Matsuyama.

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote: The point of all of this is that it is pretty impressive that the combination of the new 12.1mp sensor plus the new, fast lens tests similar to the A700/50D/40D with similar focal length lenses. Of course, I am not saying that the G15 will get exactly the same results as a A700/50D/40D. Also, the G15 is a very different type of camera. I just thought these comparisons were interesting. I also looked at the dpreview raw comparison with various cameras and it seemed to show pretty much what DxO shows.
Well, I have had the G15 for a few weeks and I sure am liking it. That very fast lens really makes all the difference and having an OVF again for times when I don't want to use an LCD is fantastic. Using the OVF sort of reminds me of when I used my Olympus XA years ago. Quick to use. Something better will come along one of these days, but for now this rather compact G15, for the types of photography it makes sense for, is just great.

The Wild Bunch: