Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX100 smartphone camera attachment

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX100 smartphone camera attachment

Unread post by bakubo »

I guess you have seen this new Sony product already:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-c ... dsc-qx100/

$500 for it and you also need a smartphone to attach to it. Pretty darn big. Appears bigger than an RX100. Specs seem to be similar to a RX100 which is selling for under $600. I don't make predictions about what will be popular, what will sell, or what will make a lot of money. I can say that this looks totally uninteresting to me. I would just get an RX100 instead of a QX100 attachment for a smartphone. I am probably very odd though.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX100 smartphone camera attachment

Unread post by Dusty »

bakubo wrote:... I am probably very odd though.
Well, that part I don't want to express an opinion on, but as a fellow Jarhead ...... :mrgreen:

This is one of those thing that all the fad techies will have to have, then realize that it's still a separate thing entirely, and not really an accessory to their smart phone. Then they'll realize that it doesn't function as a camera without a smart phone, and complain that they could have got the exact thing as a full camera for $100 more.

I think they call them cybertoys.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Also you can get the QX10 with a tiny sensor and 25-250mm for $250 or get the WX300 with almost the same specs, but smaller and with a 25-500mm lens for $278.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

It won’t be long before someone will want a FF version… :lol:
Actually it might smuggle quite well, (as separate items) and I reckon it won’t be long before someone or quite a few someone’s stream add free live from a stadium or some other proprietary event, then the poo will hit the fan.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Maybe these Sony smartphone camera adapters will be a big hit. I don't know. They seem very uninteresting to me though considering the size, weight, and cost compared to much more capable Sony cameras that are generally smaller, lighter, and almost the same cost. Probably the cameras have more functionality and speed too. I read that the phone adapters don't shoot raw, for example.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yes Henry I agree, it’s of no interest to me, or you I’m sure, but I think I see what Sony is aiming it at, because it’s ‘connected’ it’s an instant portable paparazzi-social media gizmo, that’s it’s obvious intent. It remains to be seen how good the footage it can produce is, it should be quite a lot better than a phone by itself can produce, if it isn't Sony really wasted their time making it.
One thing that might limit the appeal for a corner pub or someone who can make use of it is the ability of the operator to take decent footage. That and those using one will most likely be ejected from a ‘closed’ venue once they have been identified, (if it actually turns out to be a threat to existing commercial deals that is)
Greg
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Greg Beetham wrote:It won’t be long before someone will want a FF version… :lol:
:lol:
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Dusty wrote: Then they'll realize that it doesn't function as a camera without a smart phone...
On both cameras you can control zoom and you have a shooter button -so yes: you can take pictures without a smartphone controlling the camera -but I think the interesting part of these cameras is using a smartphone or tablet as a remote controller -and for "connected" people to have better image quality and post their images on the fly.
Even better, Sony just published the API for some of the cameras that support the "play your memories" app for developers to work on more apps for these cameras. this API V1 is still limited but a huge step forward any other manufacturer. API V2 will include more cameras and functions.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

bakubo wrote:
$500 for it and you also need a smartphone to attach to it. Pretty darn big. Appears bigger than an RX100. Specs seem to be similar to a RX100 which is selling for under $600. I don't make predictions about what will be popular, what will sell, or what will make a lot of money. I can say that this looks totally uninteresting to me. I would just get an RX100 instead of a QX100 attachment for a smartphone.
Camera itself is the same as the RX100II.

I agree that I would prefer to buy the RX100II and not this module for two reasons: No raw and Android/iOS support only. If they or a third party add support for WindowsPhone, I'll re-think the situation again.

Still: I don't need a RX100II (I bought the original RX100 last summer, and used it for some months, then sold it because even if it is a wonderful camera, I always have my NEX with me, so no real need for a "real pocket camera" when I already have a pocketable camera) but I do like the remote control function through the Play your memories app. I guess the NEX7 successor will have the same function, and that is a camera that I will most probably buy.

Regards

Pako

PS: I believe this cameras will be a hit, same or better than the RX100
Pako
------------
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I don't make predictions about success or failure when it comes to cameras. I know that many people on the internet like to take their personal preferences and then extrapolate that to all people all over the world to predict success or failure. I don't. I have my preferences, but I know that they are mine and while some probably will agree there are others who won't. It isn't clear to me what these devices can do that similar cameras that are smaller and about the same price can't do except the easier connectivity. That is probably a big deal for some people though. I wonder how securely attached to the smartphone these things are? It is just a clip so probably it can be knocked off pretty easily and it all looks rather unwieldy with poor ergonomics. Anyway, it will be interesting if this is a new product type that will become popular.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I think these are very interesting developments and definitely an innovative approach. I doubt I will get one (no raw is a big factor) in this round of development. Reminds me of the Ricoh lens with matched sensor combinations all used on an interchangeable body, although of course the body in this case is a smartphone.

It will be interesting to see how they get used.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I honestly thought this was one of those "wind up" rumours fed to SAR. I couldn't actually believe it's a real product put to market.
Maybe it will take off, just seems so off the wall it's hard to imagine it being practical for smart phone users.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yeah I agree Barry, it first struck me as a solution to a non-existing problem, but then I thought maybe Sony isn't as silly as they look, there might be a paparazzi application for it. You could put the camera in one pocket and the phone in another and walk into some event, wet t-shirts or a celeb type shindig, war zone, or some sports event where all the photographers are 'licensed' to be there and get some footage live for social media transmission. Once it 'out there' nobody can get it back it's 'out there' even if you get evicted from the whatever-wherever, (or shot). :shock:
Greg
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

I bought a barely used QX10 for my wife last week. She loved it for the low light capability
of the camera in addition to instant upload of a FB resolution photos that she kept uploading
and updating on her FB account. She always wanted a smallest possible camera that she can
put in her purse but has magic to capture anything she wanted in any (lighting) condition. :lol:
Gave her a Nex-5 but did not like it. Too big and need to upload the photos to computer before
accessing them. I think most mobile users have not heard of these two cameras based on my
own circle of friends.
Now if I can make either my laptop or desktop recognize the camera, I could update the firmware.
Two laptops and one desktop refuse to recognize the camera via provided cable. But the camera
charges without any problem. Frustrating.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Hi sury,

Just out of interest, do you/does she experience any lag when pairing the camera with a smartphone or in use? That would be my biggest concern using this setup.

Mark