RX10 looks interesting

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: RX10 looks interesting

Unread post by bakubo »

Sony drops list price of Cyber-shot DSC-RX10

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/393363 ... t-dsc-rx10

Sony has lowered the price of its Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 premium superzoom. The MSRP in the US is now $998, down from $1299, and prices in Europe have dropped as well (though it's unclear if they're official). It's not known if this was a planned price reduction, or a reaction to the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 which is about to hit store shelves at a list price of $899.

Don't you just love competition? :) Yeah, I know there are always the internet fanboys who wish that whichever huge multi-national corporation they currently are infatuated with would kill off all the competition so that they would have a monopoly, but they are just foolish idiots. :lol:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

By the way, Panasonic also is supposed to have an LX8 that will be similar to the RX100 III so there may be a price drop for that too soon. See this:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 198#p89442

I love competition!
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I love competition!
So do I Bakubo. I am not going to pay £699 here in UK for the RX100III although I desire this camera. I am waiting for at least a £100 price drop. I had the LX2, 3 and also 5 and passed these on for the RX100. Hugely disappointed when LX7 came out with the same 10Mp size sensor. Looks like Pana has "seen the light" with their LX8 if rumours are correct. Could be a grand competitor to Sony. Only problem is that their recommended price is similar to RX100III. I will wait for comparisons and PRICE DROPS. A bit of BF "value for money" also has its place. Interesting to see how this whole thing about technological innovation and market share evolves. My money is on Sony and Pana medium term winning over the likes of Oly, Samsung, Fuji, Canon and Nikon at least in mirrorless.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Sure a bit of competition helps but prices for the RX10 were dropping as expected after the initial sales rush before Panasonic made its offering known. I saved some $250 dollars on the official Sony price when I bought mine some weeks ago. And yes it has dropped by another $100 since.

Just like if I was in the market to update to the A77 II, I could pick up one today for AUD 1129 from a reputable HK dealer including Australian tax. Which is interesting in that it has dropped by more than I would have expected at this point.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I see A77 II's for sale on ebay for £600 that shows you how badly some regions are getting ripped off. This VAT thing is also another cash cow for poorly managed governments, I dead against the tax which hits people regardless of their income. Richard Branson pays the same for a camera as we do, but he's ultra rich. Something rather unfair about the tax. Leaving that to one side even with the VAT the difference is stark

The new FZ should be pretty good, though this is what these bridge models should have been for a long time. Still think the price is too high though. RX10 price was never going to work near £1000 odd, not a hope I'm surprised Sony let it hit retail that grossly overpriced
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Absolutely right about the Tax Barry, but then the UK is often referred to by overseas companies as Treasure Island. Its the country where they will charge as much as they can get away with.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Here is a pretty good review of the Panasonic FZ1000 with some comparisons to the Sony RX10:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... ix_FZ1000/