Phase One announces IQ250 50MP CMOS medium format back

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
alphaomega
Viceroy

Phase One announces IQ250 50MP CMOS medium format back

Unread post by alphaomega »

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/24 ... =title_0_3
Had to happen. Apparently made by Sony. Excellent images at ISO6400. Major step forward from CCD at ISO400 max if you are lucky.
Also Hasselblad with the same sensor and the rest of medium format camera makers may be following. With this kind of step up in performance you either follow or you are left out. Who would buy a CCD camera if the CMOS version will provide 14 stops of DR and ground breaking ISO performance. Sony are increasing their sensor development activities and solidifying their position.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Phase One announces IQ250 50MP CMOS medium format back

Unread post by Birma »

So is the advance here to do with ISO? I thought the Phase One Backs already went up to 80MP?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Phase One announces IQ250 50MP CMOS medium format back

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Well,I wouldn't care much at all about 50MP CMOS with an area of 44 x 33mm - Leica S, OK, has the lenses for that but Hasselblad and Phase One don't. It's going backwards in sensor size, which has actually increased to over 50mm (even the old ZD22 was 37 x 49mm).

Generally, you don't need 50MP for portraits and stuff where the smaller sensor is OK. You need 50MP for architecture, landscape, commercial and for these fields you need good wide-angle optics.

For me, the A7R is 'medium format'. We've done our three years of using four different medium format cameras. Even my professional friend and Phase One advocate Kenny Martin is selling his Phase One. His staff may still work with them but perhaps not for long. He's sure he can do everything he needs now on Nikon D800 (etc).

David