From A900 to A99 - Manual Mode - confused!

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
Thick as a Brick
Acolyte

From A900 to A99 - Manual Mode - confused!

Unread post by Thick as a Brick »

Hi,
I've just moved from the A900 to the A99, (ordered in May, arrived last week - Park Camera's). Trying to work my way around this new electronic mastermind from Sony so I can take control of creating the image. I've noticed that when in manual mode the display and EVF are subject to the value of the aperture, so if shooting at F1.4 my view is nice and bright, at F16 I can't see a thing either on the display or through the EVF. Any other mode is fine. Is there a way to change this so no matter what my lens setting I get to see the scene I am shooting? I admit I've not had a chance to go through the extensive menu list - it must be there somewhere?

Any pointers very much appreciated :)

Love my A900 and tbh there is not much difference in image quality but the A900 weighs a ton and for lengthy shoots and a big lens you need to take a protein shake.

Cheers

Adam
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: From A900 to A99 - Manual Mode - confused!

Unread post by Birma »

Congratulations on the new camera :)

I'm away from my camera at the moment so I can't check. Could be worth checking the preview button menu to see if you have something set there.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Congrats on your new camera. BTW you made a wise choice.
Regardless of having newly invested on E mount, I still keep my a99 and lenses and use them of course.

As for your question, if you want to opt out of the regime you are in which is rightfully named WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) then go to the MENU, 3-rd item from top (the one with the toothed wheel) and from beneath it on page 3 you'll find the last item called "Live View Display", set it to "Setting Effect OFF" et voila.

Happy shooting my friend.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Adam, one more thing, whenever you return to other shooting modes (A, S or P) don't forget to change the setting effect back to ON.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Thick as a Brick
Acolyte

Dr Harout,
Many thanks - that's done the trick. I mostly use manual or aperture Priority for most of my shoots and its working for both - phew.
I see Sony are bringing out a Mk II - heck I just got the Mk I, (after a very long wait) I did wonder if the A99 would be upgraded to a Mk II after seeing the A77 go that way but it had been a while so guessed Sony had abandoned the A mount route, still the more I use the A99 Mk1 the more I am liking it.

Brill Cameracraft magazine, got one from WHS the other day - going to subscribe, use to enjoy Advanced Photographer until they went online only so stopped.

Thanks again

Adam
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Thick as a Brick wrote: I see Sony are bringing out a Mk II - heck I just got the Mk I, (after a very long wait)
I don't know how much you paid for the A99, but I read the UK price for the A99II is ‎£3000.

Just call me Jethro, Jethro Tull. :lol:
Thick as a Brick
Acolyte

Thanks Jethro - that would make a great name for a rock band :D
Thick as a Brick
Acolyte

I think the a99 and a900 initially sold for close on that price, got my a99 for half that price plus a grip and 3 batts