whats the best way to clean the sensor of dust?

Info, discussion, repair manuals, downloads, home fixes, horror stories!
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Re: whats the best way to clean the sensor of dust?

Unread post by stevecim »

Thanks Kevin and DR.H

I have not opened the packaging yet. :) The sales did tell me to all ways let the can site for 1/2 hr , never shake it, and always spry the first bust into your hand and only use it in short bursts, but on the can it states Never use it on a camera mirror, so I don't see how you can spary on the sensor with out getting some on the mirror, I might just keep it for the out side of the camera (the LCD frame gets dust in hard to clean joints) or it becomes part of my PC repair kit. :)

Cheers, Stephen
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Wow Stephen, am I glad you received the note. :D

And thanks Kevin. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

It is best not to use the compressed air cans for electronics altogether (which is, unfortunately, for what they would seem best suited). I'm not sure what their use is otherwise...it is kind of like the instructions written on "roman candle" type fireworks...they say "DO NOT HOLD IN HAND," but what else does anyone do with them? :shock: I'd say it was a very irresponsible salesman that suggested you use the compressed air--was he in a position to also sell you another camera later?

P.S. I LOVE roman candles...
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

KevinBarrett wrote:I'm going to urgently point out that you shouldn't use any method of cleaning that "presses" on the sensor. The mounting and motors for the SSS can be goofed up with too much pressure on the sensor. You'll end up with an imager that is out of alignment and no more SSS.

I just use a rubber bulb-type blower, inverting the camera so that the dust doesn't fall back into the mirror-box like the manual says. I haven't needed to do anything else yet.
I have had to use the wet method (Copperhill) on my KM5D, A100 and A700, when I had dust that would not shift with just the rocket blower.

It is important to note that the A700 and A900 use Tin Oxide coatings on the low pass filter and you must not use normal Eclipse fluid, instead you must use Eclipse E2 fluid.

According to http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Sony - Uses Eclipse E2 fluid in house for sensor cleaning.

I note I have one stuborn spot on my new A900 and I think I may have to resort to E2 fluid on that, as the blower has not moved it at all.
David
fastson
Heirophant

Unread post by fastson »

I've only used a bellows before, but now I came across big bits off dust that didnt budge.. since I refuse to pay the ridiculous price for visibledusts swipes, I got the Butterfly instead. Yeah, it was pretty overpriced also but at least I can use it more than once. AND it has a built in flashlight. :wink:

Worked pretty well, the sensor is now clean.
Flickr - Sony A100, Sony A700 - SAL50F14, SAL16105, SAL1870, Minolta 35-70 F4, Minolta 70-210 F4, Tamron 90 F2.8 Macro
Aart Roest
Acolyte

Unread post by Aart Roest »

Well, I'm trying to find a better way. So far I have only dared following the SONY advice of using only a blower. The one I use has a 1mm opening and no brush. Using this blower, it removes the dust from the center of the sensor quite well, but the dust particles on the borders and in the corners seem not disturbed. I check this while photographing a white sheet of paper, manual focusing end lens stopped down to f22. On every picture they reappear, tiny bulbs of "dark matter".

I have read about an electric driven brush which generates static electricity and after having done so it attracts the dust away from the sensor. It is being marketed by a Canadian firm. Who has any experience ? Costsabout GBP 100 for the larger version.

My Canon friends advise use of swabs. Why does Sony reject to these ?

Professional cleaning, whar would be the price ? Anyone any idea ?

Just a few questions to which I would like to know any answers...

Thanks in advance...!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It is not a great idea to use swabs on any moveable - SSS - sensor as the sensor is spring carriage mounted, and can be physically pushed out of the focal plane. It may return precisely, but it could also fail to return or the pressure of the swab could misalign it in other ways. Also, swabs solutions and materials vary. Some are suitable for titanium oxide coated cover glass (anti dust coating), others will make it smear and eventually erode the coating.

The Visible Dust 'Arctic Butterfly' brush is what you refer to. Reports vary from people who have managed to deposit extra dust by using it, to those who find it works perfectly. You are not supposed to brush the sensor at all, just to charge the brush with static and it will make the dust fly off the sensor on the brush. You then spin it again to remove the dust, and spin it before the next use to charge it with static. I suspect that people who end up with more dust than before have tried to use it as a brush, which it is not - it is a static device.

David