Repairing Sony 50/2.8 Macro

Info, discussion, repair manuals, downloads, home fixes, horror stories!
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Repairing Sony 50/2.8 Macro

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Few days ago, when shooting a patient (I mean photographing :evil: ) I noticed that the manual focus ring wasn't working when focusing from near to far; from far to near was OK.
So, after work I began to disassemble the lens. Step by step, and studying every move I made, kind of figured out the problem.
Whenever you remove the rubber ring there are 3 screws holding an outer cup-like collar responsible for manual focus.
Removed it after unscrewing them.
Without the collar manually focusing was OK.
Putting back the collar, MF was again working.
But whenever attaching the screws... it doesn't focus from near distance to far.
BTW, the screws get inside 3 oval windows on that plastic collar, and have a tiny distance to "wobble" in it. The collar has 3 drawer like places where 3 nail-like metals get in, and when turning the collar to either direction, the nails incline to one side grasping the real focusing rail inside.
So, obviously, the nails were inclining on one side but not to the other.
Therefore, I deepened the oval windows on one side et VOILA! :D
Now it works as new.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Repairing Sony 50/2.8 Macro

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Now, why did I write this.
If anyone encounters such a problem (and I'm sure this could be of an issue with the SAL100M28 too), maybe this could be of help.
Unfortunately I did not make any photos (sorry for that), but I do hope the way I defined and explained was clear.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr