Registration and content

News about new material on photoclubalpha
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Registration and content

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Starting in January, I plan to include premium content on the main website with subscriber access, while leaving all main content free. Subscriber access will also include PDF magazine downloads, as the YUDU and Payloadz options have either not proved satisfactory for readers, or have been a nightmare of errors (respectively).

I can not test the system myself and I'd appreciate some feedback on whether the front page and the Subscriber Only content link are working.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Registration and content

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Me like
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ianmiddy
Heirophant

Unread post by ianmiddy »

David - how will this work for existing 'paper' subscriptions ? - I'm not sure I recall seeing anything like a membership number on the delivery sheet...

Cheers

IDM
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I can't create an access to the files for paper subscribers via the website. However, the PDFs are hosted in another area and it will be possible to provide a URL printed on the carrier sheet for the printed editions, which will give access to the list of electronic edition files, and to password protect this document with a single shared password for all subscribers. That's about the best I can do, and it will go out with the January magazine mailing.

David
ianmiddy
Heirophant

Unread post by ianmiddy »

Thanks for the quick reply - looking forward to the New Year...

Cheers

IDM
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

We have a problem I'm hoping the software providers can fix, in that Guest access has been flagged as OFF for the entire content of the site. Anyone who registers (free) can view everything but this will affecting links and new visitors. Not what was intended.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Is there a login point on the home page? I couldn't find one. The registered user link doesn't take you to anywhere where you can log in, so you have to re-register is that it?
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

If you have you have ever registered on the website you automatically get a Free account (all the normal content) so need to do nothing. Over 400 people including most forum users had registered already, but the Forum registration may also get access as the system is supposed to be 'bridged'.

Anyway, I have now managed to fix the access controls and user status so that no-one had to register to see the existing content. We may have some content which asks people to register with a Free account (this lasts for three years), and we will have other content that may include eBooks, which requires the $10 a year Normal level membership.

I have just completed reworking the system, but I do not yet know if it's all 100% correctly working.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ok, so what about the existing Yudu account and login, is that being phased out? Or do people (like me) who have one just keep using that at Yudu, as I assume it wouldn't be of any use at Photoclubalpha?
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The YUDU system will be continued. Its renewals have been unreliable and the system does not inform of renewals, I have to go on to the site, dig down for a list of transactions, compare them with existing email addresses as it shows me no real names, and try to ensure people get what they have paid for.

The Payloadz system is what the new registration replaces. Their processing has been a disaster from the start and despite many, many emails and assurances they have fixed it, they never have.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Well my Yudu account is up for renewal sometime in the new year, I forget exactly when, but I'll have to try and stop the automatic renewal through paypal and swap over to the Photoclubalpha version I think, it sounds like a better idea....although I didn't seem too have any serious problems with the Yudu version it was a bit twitchy and glitchy now and then.
It probably won't stop Yudu sending their emails though, I bet.
Greg
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Would there be any problem if login account in the forum is dr. harout (with space) as for the main page I remember I couldn't register as that (didn't permit with a spacebar so did it with dr.harout (without space)?

P.S.: excuse this weird and dumb question :oops:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I am not sure whether spaces are accepted other than as underline space. None of the current usernames I can find uses a space, so I think they have always been excluded.

But you can set a nickname or visible name which has a space.

David
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

David Kilpatrick wrote:If you have you have ever registered on the website you automatically get a Free account (all the normal content) so need to do nothing.David
I had to re-register.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3