Rumor or Real - Sony HD 720P & Touchscreen

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Rumor or Real - Sony HD 720P & Touchscreen

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

After editing 1080p and 720p on my iMac and trying to get clips down to a size which could be uploaded - 720p is probably a better choice for card space, less compromise with compression quality, less need for some superpowered computer system to do any edit work. Canon will probably put 720p in an APS-C body, not to compete with 1080p in the 5D MkII. Nikon already made that choice in the D90, so maybe 720p will be the standard for DX/APS-C format DSLRs.

This rumour fits in with something leaked to me from Australia just after the A900 was launched. An A900 pre-release trial photographer mentioned that Sony's Australian exec/s had hinted at ultra high speed action (he said up to 50fps) and a mirrorless, shutterless shooting mode. I didn't place too much weight on this leak, as it sounded similar to some others based on the smaller Sony sensor used by Casio for ultra-high speed. This was rumoured as an A700 replacement, not A200/300. What would be amazing would be full resolution 30fps for very short bursts - 720p for continuous filming, but bursts of maybe 10 shots at 12 megapixels.

The specification for the IMX021 was 10.5 fps at 12 megapixels, maximum. So, call it 20 fps at 6 megapixels and 40fps at 3. 720p is barely 1 megapixel, it should not present any real problem getting 24/25/30fps or other required speeds.

If they could make an EVF with 100Hz refresh and 1200 x 800 WXGA resolution, it would be almost as good as an optical finder.

They could call it the A720 and that would make complete sense :-)

David
lattiboy
Initiate

Unread post by lattiboy »

This excited me to no end today! I seriously considered picking up a used D90 just to mess about with a 50mm f/1.8 shooting HD video. I've held off on picking up a camcorder for sometime now in hope of a Alpha HD dSLR. In body IS would be the icing on the cake. Please Sony, do this!
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

It doesn't fit right as it was stated. As it tries to sound like an A300/A350 with a bigger view finder but maintaining the phase detection AF.

That's not going to happen. You can make the OVF a bit bigger, but that's it. No mirror system can do 30fps.

As I've said in the past, I don't expect the Sony A300/A350 LV system to last, maybe 1 more permutation, maybe a few different attacks at it, but it's dead end. It makes the camera more complicated, not more solid state. So it won't last. If you do this off the main sensor, and use contrast AF, everything starts to work with this. You can get a big view finder back.

Only if they do the HD video with the secondary sensor would this work with phase detection. Which might not be a bad design.

I think we are hearing of more of the "A500" many of use have talked of. It's the camera that is missing, and is what one would expect next. Take an A700, give it a plastic body, put the same sensor package as the D90 in it, make some tweaks and you are there. Just do things off the main sensor.

Sony may have changed their minds some and decided to do main sensor LV. Which could explain the rumors of replacing every body in 2009. While as is, every body but the A900 should be replaced in 2009. If they want to offer main sensor LV, this could trigger an A901 this year as a small updated model.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

The Camera my wife bought has a touch screen. it works really well and if they combine that with quick navi like on the A700 the interface will be super fast! the only thing is the DPR noses might have trouble changing the settings on the touch screen... maybe they can leverage the eye start system to keep that from happening.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Video capability off of the main sensor should mean there's no reason to compromise the viewfinder with a pentamirror design, unless it's truly an entry level model, in which case it cuts costs. The touch screen is pure frippery, but seems to fit with a strategy of offering P&S functionality on entry-level DSLRs to catch bridging users...useless to me though.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Perhaps I am guilty of thinking too much inside the square, but what is suggested seems to point to something designed to replace the A200/A300/A350 and to attract P & S and video camera owners rather than SLR enthusiasts.

Given the costs associated with tooling up the production of camera's such as the A700 and A900 and the lower sales of the more expensive models, I have been expecting Sony to try and recoup their costs by introducing more models based on these two bodies.

With the A700 body you could use a similar sensor unit to the Nikon D90 but keeping the 5 fps and 1/8000 shutter speed and intro LV and 720 video as the A600 and then have an A750 with a 15/16 MP, focus adjustment etc at a price less than the Nikon D300 replacement.

On the A900 body it would depend on whether Sony saw a business case for producing a second FF sensor family say at around 16/18 MP. Such a sensor would be reasonably easy to design given the experience in the 25MP sensor but is likely to cost almost as much to make. Potentially Sony could probably get a higher wafer yield from a less complicated design and it's production knowledge of the 25 MP sensor. So Sony can either accept that the A900 is a prestige loss leader or it produces an A800 FF at a similar cost to the Canon 5 Mark 2 and any future Nikon D700x/D800 and replaces the A900 with a higher specified model but costing less than the Canon and Nikon high end models.
KevinBarrett

Sony will have to gain a LOT of DSLR market share, and in a much better economy, to justify fragmenting the market segments as much as C&N.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

D90 is a nice camera and Sony needs to do something similar. However videography using a still camera is still a gimmick than a real thing, especially that one found in D90 without AF.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

There is a danger that Sony might draw an incorrect set of conclusions based on the sales figures of the A700/A900 by comparison too their Nikon and Canon equivalents, they might think they need to get into video and LV with the release of updated models too counter the opposition and appeal to more customers. I think that would be a mistake, the reason they don't sell more of their more serious cameras is, they still do not offer a complete system yet, with a full set of well priced lenses (still no f4's, or TS's in sight), and accessories (they need to fix the macro system..flash, bellows, micro lenses), and why on earth did Sony not take the Minolta meters onboard?? probably the most highly regarded meters on the market, the colour meter and various ambient/flash meters....the mind boggles..and fix the hotshoe adapter/studio situation properly, one would think after all this time they could at least do that.
There are probably other items I can't think of offhand, but the thing is, for Sony too be taken seriously and have people look at their more expensive camers they have too start attending to this sort of thing, not messing around with flim flam.
If they think the market needs a main sensor LV and video type (EVIL) SLR, then by all means make one, separately, with an A-mount if they want, but not by trying too redesign/fudge the existing design and ending up with something that is not user frendly and not fully functional at either still frames OR video. :roll:
Greg
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

KevinBarrett wrote:Sony will have to gain a LOT of DSLR market share, and in a much better economy, to justify fragmenting the market segments as much as C&N.
Agreed! Although they've already hit #3, they need to eat away at the C&N marketshare if they plan on having continued profits to sink into R&D. While they are already a market leader in bang-for-the-buck category, I think there would be a big market for a simple, yet high quality, starter DSLR.

I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but I know a lot of P&S owners who want a SLR, but don't want to buy one with 'too many controls, buttons and wizmos'. These are people who bought SLRs in the 70's and early 80's, or got such ones passed down from their parents. They only want an interchangeable lens, simple, quality camera.

They would want a P,A,S and M mode camera, since that's how they learned to shoot, and not worry about modes they would never touch. A lot of these guys were also darkroom hobbyists, so they would have no problem applying different profiles in PP from RAW. However, looking thru the various modes on my camera, they think it confusing and a bit intimidating. They basically ignore similar settings on their P&S, but think that they're paying for that 'high end doggie-doo' on the DSLR, while P&S cameras are cheap enough that they don't care.

No, they are not Luddites, they just want the simplicity which they used to have on their old X-700, AE-1, etc., in a digital format. I believe that if Sony offered a camera like this, with a high quality 12- 14 MP sensor, (that puts it way above all the entry-level 10 MP systems), at a $400 price point, they would gain tremendous market share and lock a whole new set of customers into their system. I would even go so far as to say throw out the SSS, if need be, to get to this price point.

This new customer base would give them the market share they need to produce more models, lenses and other accessories.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

Why do people think they touch screen is crazy? That's probably one of the most possible things there is.

Touch screens that size are all around (Iphones and other new phones). The more you do on the screen, the less buttons needed (cost savings for cheap cameras).

Also some things would work great. Think of zooming, with a touch screen you could zoom with a finger drag, move the image around. If you are working in live view with contrast af, you could touch with your finger a metering point, or poke several points and and have it average them, you could select anyplace on the image, think of this with intelligent preview. Take a shot, then select new metering points, touch where you want it to focus, and it take the shot, or another test shot.
KevinBarrett

I prefer the tactile experience of buttons and switches...it's better for muscle-memory and faster interface. Also, I generally try to keep fingerprints and smudges OFF of my screen.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

75 to 90mm touchscreens are still quite expensive and would require additional hardware support as well as more sophisticated software. And for D-SLR's, it is likely for the first couple of generations at least would require that most of the buttons and dials to be retained.

Have you tried to use a smallish touchscreen with gloves on ? And this applies to heat as well as cold.

Also as I have some arthritis in my fingers, devices such as the iPhone are difficult for me to use. I am certainly not the oldest member of this forum.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Just thinking loudly...
Would a professional videographer (if that is the word) make movies/clips with a DSLR having video capabilities?
Would a DSLR maker pay a professional (one time job) to shoot a video clip with a DSLR to use as a marketing weapon (in other words: fooling the people)?
Would a professional photographer rely solely on video clips made with a DSLR?
Would a professional videographer sell all the video/movie equipment to buy a DSLR with video shooting ability to continue his/her job?
Who really needs or will use video on a DLR (amateur? newbie? show-off-er? xxx fanboy?...)
Similar questions can be edited for touchscreens... hey, how about voice activated DSLR or holographic imaging... :D :wink:
Finally, what would you think about RATSP?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I think on my A700 they could do everything you use the little joystick for on a touch screen and never have to look back. I don't think it would aggrivate your arthritis at all. you need only one functioning finger and don't even have to disturb a joint to make your selection on the touch screen and be done with the changes quicker than navigating by bending the little stick back and forth and pressing it to go one step at a time through the menues. It's not good for everything but it would certainly be better than the joystick. what you lose with it though is the tactile feel. I know some things that have come out recently have touchscreens that click under your finger when you've made a selection which would be even better but I don't think it's sony that has that
peterottaway wrote:75 to 90mm touchscreens are still quite expensive and would require additional hardware support as well as more sophisticated software. And for D-SLR's, it is likely for the first couple of generations at least would require that most of the buttons and dials to be retained.

Have you tried to use a smallish touchscreen with gloves on ? And this applies to heat as well as cold.

Also as I have some arthritis in my fingers, devices such as the iPhone are difficult for me to use. I am certainly not the oldest member of this forum.