550 v 700

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: 550 v 700

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Save some cash and get one of the inexpensive remaining a700 kits instead. You'll have a weatherproof camera with a professional level of control and far superior aesthetic.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
HFnotts
Initiate

Unread post by HFnotts »

I'm a bit puzzled. If you do a lot of walking the implication is for landscape images, so why need 5fps?
Not a criticism, just curious.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

HFnotts wrote:You convince me.
A 700 has been ordered but none available now at £499
Congratulations.
Now, even if it is "too late" I think I'll go for the A550 because is at least (...) 2 years younger, technology wise. Then, you could just eBuy-it in 6 months and buy the A700 replacement...
;-)
Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Sony UK doesn't want me to see an A550 earlier than they choose. I've already got one dealer into trouble (earful from Mr Sony for even talking to me about obtaining an A550). I suspect they think it may take away sales from remaining A700s - I rather doubt it. I would suggest the A700 is an exceptional bargain and we may not see a camera like it again, certainly not at the current price.

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I have been very confused about the launch of the new a5XX series. Have Sony launched it or not? It has to be the least-hyped camera ever.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

KevinBarrett wrote:I have been very confused about the launch of the new a5XX series. Have Sony launched it or not? It has to be the least-hyped camera ever.
Launched?
long time ago...
Available?
Ah! that is the question! It is on pre-order @ Sonystyle.com
I think it willbe widely available in a couple of weeks.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Sony UK doesn't want me to see an A550 earlier than they choose. I've already got one dealer into trouble (earful from Mr Sony for even talking to me about obtaining an A550). I suspect they think it may take away sales from remaining A700s -

I think it's the other way around, they want the current stock of A700 to finish before you review the A550, so you can't tell everyone that the A700 would be a better buy. :) Once the A700 stock is all gone you will have no choice, but to say the A550 is the best non-full frame camera in Sony's current line up. :)
RubberDials
Heirophant

Unread post by RubberDials »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Sony UK doesn't want me to see an A550 earlier than they choose. I've already got one dealer into trouble (earful from Mr Sony for even talking to me about obtaining an A550). I suspect they think it may take away sales from remaining A700s - I rather doubt it. I would suggest the A700 is an exceptional bargain and we may not see a camera like it again, certainly not at the current price.

David
The delay in your review is rather exasperating, as it is likely to be the only one to offer a meaningful comparison with what's gone before. The Dpreview-style of spec. slug-out is nearly worthless.

Regarding the a700, it is a bargain if you haven't already got a Sony DSLR, but it's not worth buying if you have an a350 and an a100. After all, you can't see the handling niceities in the pictures you take. Appreciating the camera begins to be an exercise in camera-club-bore top trumps, where people with a little plastic cover on their LCD talk about how they need a 'rugged, pro body'... etc.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I've just been reading the A550 manual, it does not appear to even have program shift, I know pro features like this are pricey and only people who spend £1000 on a camera deserve it :lol:
destrianlives
Initiate

Unread post by destrianlives »

The A700 is built tougher as well. Though the A550 is better speced it may not deliver enough image wise to justify the additional money your gonna throw into it.
Check out my free lighting articles at http://www.studiolighting.net and search for "David Griffin" or The Prince of Cheap
calpon
Initiate

Unread post by calpon »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Sony UK doesn't want me to see an A550 earlier than they choose. I've already got one dealer into trouble (earful from Mr Sony for even talking to me about obtaining an A550). I suspect they think it may take away sales from remaining A700s - I rather doubt it. I would suggest the A700 is an exceptional bargain and we may not see a camera like it again, certainly not at the current price.

David
I have 2 A700's and I am worried I may have to cannibalize one for the other in a few years if Sony loses interest in a high featured APS-C (as has been rumored on the forums).