Question Again on RAW and DRO

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

Question Again on RAW and DRO

Unread post by Mike-Photos »

The A900 manual says about RAW:
You cannot verify the effects of D-Range Optimizer other than those of DR (Standard) if you play back and enlarge an image recorded in RAW format.

The A700 manual says:
You cannot verify an effect of D-Range Optimizer advanced even if you enlarge the image recorded in RAW or cRAW format.

These seem to be saying the same thing, but I never realised that DRO Standard effects show on the A700 preview. Does this also mean that DRO Standard affects the RAW, or does the camera re-apply DRO Standard when displaying?
Mike
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Question Again on RAW and DRO

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It probably means that DRO standard, which is just a tone curve, is applied to the embedded preview of RAW files (but not to the RAW data) while Advanced and Manual settings, while involve analysis of the raw file and writing a special JPEG, don't also re-tone the embedded preview of the raw - just any JPEG shot along with it. As far as I can see, Tone adjustments are also reflected in the preview file you view with cRAW or RAW and so are sharpening settings - so if you select -3 sharpness as I did today, you can't expect to see a sharp magnified image, and it effectively disables any focus checking!

David