Going backwards - A580

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Argonaut
Oligarch

Re: Going backwards - A580

Unread post by Argonaut »

David Kilpatrick wrote:It is also true that the contrast detect AF does not work with screw drive lenses, only SAM or SSM, exactly as with the LA-EA1 on NEX (in fact it dates from around the same time and the CD technology is probably identical to the NEX-5n).

David
I don't use live view much, but I just checked it and my 580 auto-focused my Sigma screw drive tele by the light of one Ikea desk lamp just fine.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I have a bunch of old Minolta MD lenses, 50-mm F/1.7, 50-mm F/1.4, 45-mm f/2, 28-mm f/2.8, 135-mm f/2,8 all in good working order, is it possible to fit them to a A-57 with an adaptor. I know every thing then has to be done manually, but it would be good if some one could explain especially what their focul length ends up as on a APS-C crop. How much is an adaptor.

Thanks

Pete
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Popular opinion has it Pete that it's not worth the bother, you have to use an adaptor with optical element/s in it which does not add anything to the MD optics, you would most likely be better off with a NEX and an adaptor, the conversion then would be just the same as with A-mount, 1:1.5
Greg
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I agree with Greg.

I have used my MD 50 1.7 on a Nex 3 with a glassless adapter which was a wonderful combination. Really loved using the MD glass, but didn't like the Nex. I eventually sold both as I wasn't able to convert the 50 for A-mount with a glassless adapter.

Mark
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Thanks Greg and Mark

Since I asked the question, I have seen several threads on other sites saying don't bother on 'A' mount.

I think I will look for some KM or Sony A mount primes.

Pete
mvanrheenen

Unfortunately that would be the only alternative. You could however also try M42 mount lenses. Some real good quality lenses in that mount too and converters are glassless and relatively cheap.
Winkler Prins
Initiate

Unread post by Winkler Prins »

mvanrheenen wrote:I agree with Greg.

I have used my MD 50 1.7 on a Nex 3 with a glassless adapter which was a wonderful combination. Really loved using the MD glass, but didn't like the Nex. I eventually sold both as I wasn't able to convert the 50 for A-mount with a glassless adapter.

Mark
Try using an less cheap-ass NEX. The difference will be huge. And don't expect it to be an Alpha 900. It is not about you, it is about the resulting images.
mvanrheenen

I have no idea where you are going with your comment Winkler, but it sounds like an accusation. Could you please explain why you think that is warranted as I don't think I deserve it.

I bought the Nex 3 when there was no better Nex, only the 5. I was pleased with the image quality of the Nex, but the handling wasn't that great. Eventually I sold it for a RX100, which is more pocketable.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Winkler Prins wrote:Try using an less cheap-ass NEX. The difference will be huge. And don't expect it to be an Alpha 900. It is not about you, it is about the resulting images.
That's an absolutely awesome idea! We would love to see a bunch of your images!
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

bakubo wrote:
Winkler Prins wrote:Try using an less cheap-ass NEX. The difference will be huge. And don't expect it to be an Alpha 900. It is not about you, it is about the resulting images.
Ha ha good one H, images from the peanut gallery, that'll be a first. :lol:
Greg
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
mvanrheenen

@Atgets_Apprentice: lol :)
Winkler Prins
Initiate

mvanrheenen wrote:I have no idea where you are going with your comment Winkler, but it sounds like an accusation. Could you please explain why you think that is warranted as I don't think I deserve it.

I bought the Nex 3 when there was no better Nex, only the 5. I was pleased with the image quality of the Nex, but the handling wasn't that great. Eventually I sold it for a RX100, which is more pocketable.
It wasn't an accusation, however if you think it sounds like it, you must deserve an accusation. If it makes you feel better, share it with us.

What I am trying to say is that your opinion of Nex 3 is not important at all. Obviously you are biased, not even being able to acknowledge that there was a better Nex camera than Nex 3. However Nex is not like Nex 3 anymore. Handling has improved and compared to rx100 is way better. To conlude, your statements are pointless, that's all. Don't be offended, face the truth.
Winkler Prins
Initiate

bakubo wrote:
I know but you guys can't be trusted. So why would a newbie expose him/herself? Apart from the fact that this is the equipment discussion. I show my images to anyone who is able to find them on the internets. And I value the opinion of people I trust and respect.
Winkler Prins
Initiate

Greg Beetham wrote:
bakubo wrote:
Ha ha good one H, images from the peanut gallery, that'll be a first. :lol:
Greg
By the way, this forum is dead. Bfitzgerald has already left. The forum won't relive until you have left. Stop being rusty and scaring newcomers. Get out of your small circle of friends and connect to other people.