POLL: How much do you use the video function?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.

How much do you use the video function of the A55/A33 and NEX 5/3?

very often
13%
often
17%
occasionally
21%
rarely
4%
almost never
46%

Total votes: 24

Scooterman
Oligarch

Re: POLL: How much do you use the video function?

Unread post by Scooterman »

stevecim wrote:
Scooterman wrote: What I said if you read my entry was, the lower end of the market is what Sony have aimed at, the next lot should be aimed at ones who take their photography more seriously the A-77 and up, Canon have done this strategy for years the lower end 1.6 crop sensors are aimed at “Happy Snappers” where as the 1.3 and above (1D) series are aimed at the pros, also the ones with strong arms.
So will soon see if Sony’s marketing strategy will work.
Sorry Barry it does look like EVF’s are in from now on.

Richard
Sony have no interest in the top end of the market. Can/nik first built up the top end of the market and then used it to drive mass sales into the low end.
One of the main selling point for Can/Nik is "it's the cameras that the Pros use" many buyers will buy a low end DSLR because it based on the same tech that's found in the high end models. No Pro user is going to buy a high end camera because it's based tech found in the low end bodies.

Sony will never compete with Can/Nik for the top end of town, they are not interested in setting the rest of the systems needed to support the Pro user. They are not even willing to have International warranty on the G/Z lenses like Can do on the L lenses. The whole point of the SLT is to take low end users away from Can/Nik it's not about Pro users. No Pro user is going to buy a SLT9xx type body because it can do video with AF a Pro user make his money out of taking photo's not video. If you had to make money from video , high end video camera will always out do a high end SLR when if comes to taking video.

You could be right in your assumption about Sony not being that interested in the pro market.
I still feel that many pros want a good smaller camera that can do the business for them and many do use them, including the NEX system, I have tried and used both Canon and Nikon Pro cameras 1D* and a 3 series Nikon both very good cameras but carting that amount of kit about is a nightmare.
As for shared technology between the pro level and consumer cameras especially Canon they are like “Chalk and Cheese” but I think you get what you pay for as with every thing, what I find with the A-580 it is very good value compared to the other brands, no it is not a “Pro” camera but it does what I want it to do in my price range.
Ps. the A-580 and the A-560 are available in the UK if you look for them.
Richard
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Scooterman wrote:Ps. the A-580 and the A-560 are available in the UK if you look for them.
Richard
You just have to be a bit more determined....ha ha ha ha ha ha :lol:
Greg
sorry Richard...I couldn't resist :D
Scooterman
Oligarch

Greg Beetham wrote:
Scooterman wrote:Ps. the A-580 and the A-560 are available in the UK if you look for them.
Richard
You just have to be a bit more determined....ha ha ha ha ha ha :lol:
Greg
sorry Richard...I couldn't resist :D
Hi Gregg,
It's like every thing in life if you don’t seek you wont find. :wink:
Also in this day and age to find what you want also at the right price is very important.
Like I wanted a Sony 70-400 G lens, most places on the high street want £ UK 1400 + for one. :shock:
I have ordered mine from an internet supplier UK based for under £ 900 with a warrantee, to me I would rather have that and £500 in the bank :D .

Keep snapping Gregg
Regards
Richard
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Enjoy Richard, you will certainly be able to do some damage with that baby. Spare a thought for us, Sony Style price here is $2700 AUD.
Greg
Scooterman
Oligarch

Greg Beetham wrote:Enjoy Richard, you will certainly be able to do some damage with that baby. Spare a thought for us, Sony Style price here is $2700 AUD.
Greg
Well if it as good as I hope I may sell my Sigma 100-300mm f4 also my Tamron 200-500mm lens.
I may see the new 500mm f4 lens at the Infocus show shortly, and then I will be drooling. :wink:
Regards Richard
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

mike2008 wrote:May I ask what it is you find so interesting in this question? Are you looking for evidence to justify some preconceived notion you have, or what?
Why do you always feel compelled to add your negativity? I don't think I have ever seen any evidence at all that you care one whit about photography and almost nothing about cameras even. All I have seen is that you care deeply, religiously about the huge, multinational Sony corporation and how successful they are at making money. You certainly give the impression that the camera product is just a widget and you would be just as much a rabid Sony fan if the product was washing machines, tampons, or beach towels. This is a formal invitation to not look at this thread anymore since it annoys you. Why not post some of your photos and videos in one of the existing photo threads or even start your own? You can even create your own poll if you like.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

tom power 53 wrote:The question asked by the OP to me is not a good one. Apples and oranges.
I am not sure why the poll question is not good. What is wrong with this?

very often
often
occasionally
rarely
almost never

Seems like such a simple question to me.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I should have worded the first and last option slightly differently. Assume the options look like this:

very often or exclusively
often
occasionally
rarely
almost never or never
tom power 53
Heirophant

Unread post by tom power 53 »

bakubo wrote:
tom power 53 wrote:The question asked by the OP to me is not a good one. Apples and oranges.
I am not sure why the poll question is not good. What is wrong with this?

very often
often
occasionally
rarely
almost never

Seems like such a simple question to me.
Maybe it is a good question in some ways. It is just that it questions the frequency of use - not importance of the feature to the person responding. To me the two (frequency and importance) would need to be weighed together to get any meaningful insight as to the video features value. I guess I am assuming - maybe wrongly - that you are trying to see if this feature is worth having on the camera or not for most people.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Henry, your questionnaire seems totally useless with this particular user group.

We here are mostly still shooters (not all of us are even photogs). Some of us would possibly use a good camcorder almost exclusively for the stills, had its still-taking capability been especially good in some particular respect.

Essentially, you are kinda asking carnivores if they ever practice vegetarianism, or vice-versa.

So could you please tell me, what's the point? There must be some point, right?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

tom power 53 wrote:Maybe it is a good question in some ways. It is just that it questions the frequency of use - not importance of the feature to the person responding. To me the two (frequency and importance) would need to be weighed together to get any meaningful insight as to the video features value.
Nothing is perfect. I suggest you start a poll that asks the question the way you prefer. It is really simple to make a poll.
tom power 53 wrote: I guess I am assuming - maybe wrongly - that you are trying to see if this feature is worth having on the camera or not for most people.
No, I just wanted to see how much people are using the video function so I don't understand why I see, what I perceive to be, so much defensiveness. Why do several people seem to be offended that the question is asked?

I asked because Sony said they wouldn't do video until they could do it right and then came out with the A55/A33 when they were able to do it right. David has posted a video or two, I think, but I have seen very few others. Sony finally created their still/video integrated camera that is done right so, I think, it is natural to wonder how much people are using the video function. I think it was a mistake on my part to include the NEX 5/3 in my poll though.

Maybe the reason there have been so few videos shown is because no one has started a thread dedicated to them. Maybe I will start one so people will have a place to post them. Thanks for giving me the idea!
Last edited by bakubo on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

agorabasta wrote:Henry, your questionnaire seems totally useless with this particular user group.

We here are mostly still shooters (not all of us are even photogs).
Yes, it is seems that one or two have no interest in photography.
agorabasta wrote: Some of us would possibly use a good camcorder almost exclusively for the stills, had its still-taking capability been especially good in some particular respect.

Essentially, you are kinda asking carnivores if they ever practice vegetarianism, or vice-versa.
You are probably right about that, but there are some A55/A33 users here. I don't know if they are typical A55/A33 users or not, but this is the forum where I can create a poll. :) Also, I wanted to find out about users here. Of course, it isn't a scientific poll and if anyone thinks that only scientific polls should be allowed here then I suggest that you contact David and ask him to remove the poll function from the forum since it is impossible to use it to get a scientific poll.
agorabasta wrote: So could you please tell me, what's the point? There must be some point, right?
Actually, I just answered this in the post I just finished. Please look at it.
mike2008
Heirophant

Unread post by mike2008 »

Everyone here is interested in still photography, you should ask on a video-orientated forum if you want to see if the video from the DSLT is well-liked or not.

I think you should calm down a bit.
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

I bet a lot of people who don't even own A55/Nex, like Walt, have voted in this poll. The poll is screwed up and does not represent actual Nex users who will answer differently.

I wish there was a way to check who actually voted in this poll. I am willing to bet most of them don't even own Nex and A55 but voted in the poll anyway :)
Last edited by OneGuyKs on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

bfitzgerald wrote:He's not out of luck as DPR had a poll up about this too and with a fairly large response. The vast majority of users responded by saying they used video fairly infrequently or very little. The conclusion was that video is not a "must have" for most folks who are interested in stills photography..

DPR is still photography only site and polls on that site are not true representative of users. Ask on divx web site how many people who own DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras use it for video, and the answer would be 99%.