I played with an A900 today

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: I played with an A900 today

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Jonathan K wrote: I expect that there will be a A700v4-like upgrade for the A900.

Jonathan
I expect that too.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Jardyn39

Unread post by Jardyn39 »

Just to add to the comments on the APS-C capture function on the A900 (Firmware 1.0):

With “APS-C Capt.” Set to ON, the picture saved is cropped to the APS-C size irrespective of the lens.

However, the behaviour of the OFF setting seems to be different depending upon whether or not the lens is detected as FF or not.

I’ve a Tamron 18-200 mm and the Sony 18-70 mm. At 18 mm and with “APS-C Capt.” set to OFF, the Tamron capture shows heavy vignetting in 6048 x 4032 pixels. Whereas, with the Sony attached the camera automatically crops the file down to 3984 x 2656.

I don’t have another APS-C Sony lens to compare, so I’m not sure if this applies to all non-Sony APS-C lenses or just the Tamron and Sigma examples I have.

To my eyes the viewfinder crop guides are not particularly clear in low light, so I much prefer to have the vignetting with the option to crop manually later on.
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

This possibly has something to do with the way in which 3rd party manufacturers 'chip' their lenses. My understanding (I think it was a Phototraveller thread) is that Tamron/Sigma reverse engineer mounts and chip their lenses with a lens chip that they know works (my 12-24 Siggy id's itself as a 28-80mm f3.5-5.6), so if the chip is a FF chip, then the A900 would not know to automatically crop for APSC. Good news for some lens owners :)

Philip
Rincewind
Acolyte

Unread post by Rincewind »

Hi Philip

Isn't your Sigma 12-24mm a full frame lens?
Why would it activate APS-C crop on the A900?

Regards.
Den.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Rincewind wrote:Hi Philip

Isn't your Sigma 12-24mm a full frame lens?
Why would it activate APS-C crop on the A900?

Regards.
Den.
First post Den. Welcome.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Rincewind
Acolyte

Thank you for the welcome :)

I've lurked for a while, but have been meaning to register.
It's a good forum, well worth supporting, so if anyone else is doing what I was, maybe it's time to join :mrgreen:

Regards.
Den.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Rincewind wrote:Thank you for the welcome :)

I've lurked for a while, but have been meaning to register.
It's a good forum, well worth supporting, so if anyone else is doing what I was, maybe it's time to join :mrgreen:

Regards.
Den.
Welcome, and thank you for the encouragement! All you other lurkers sign up and claim a user name! Post some pictures and converse!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Reading what Philip was saying, again...it looks like he's saying, that if Sigma can put a 28-85 chip in a 12-24 (just so it has a chip of some sort and can then assume an identity, even if it's not ideal), there might be a possibility that the have/will put an APS-C lens chip in a FF lens...not realizing the consequences with this new camera, which apparently will limit the sensor to only recording on the APS-C frame....(while there were only APS-C cameras around there wasn't the auto vignetting cancelling feature too contend with, as is on the A900), the lens would still work to some extent, except ADI flash, exposure calculation, DOF etc. would probably be out of whack if it was a variable f:ratio zoom.
Myself, I have doubts that Sigma would put an APS-C chip in a FF lens....
Greg
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

In the past Sigma has rechipped lenses that weren't functioning properly for free. if this is what they did then they might start re-chippin gthe lenses again.
Greg Beetham wrote: Myself, I have doubts that Sigma would put an APS-C chip in a FF lens....
Greg
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

Sorry for any misunderstanding of what I wrote. What I was saying is not that my 12-24 shows as an ASPC DT lens (it shows as a 28-80 in the exif, although the correct focal length used when a picture is taken is displayed), but that 3rd party DT lenses could well have FF chips in them enabling a FF view on the A900, thus circumventing the auto crop feature that prevents a FF view with DT lenses, allowing manaul cropping later. This is possibly why Jardyn39's Tamron 18-200 mm doesn't auto crop in the same way his Sony 18-80 does.

Philip
Rincewind
Acolyte

Sorry about my confusion Philip, yes that makes perfect sense to me now! lol
I assume older Sigma lenses (before APS-C) should be ok, unless the A900 point blank refuses to recognise the old Sigma chips that is!

To Kevin: Thanks for the welcome :)

Regards.
Den.