Oh dear A99 problem!

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Oh dear A99 problem!

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The dreaded turn off then on error!
Any suggestions welcomed. It does take a picture then the message shows up - then it locks and you have to pull the battery
Doesn't seem to matter what settings, tried a full reset, different lenses screw drive or in lens motor same result. AF/MF same
I did move the aperture lever, it does reset when powered (so that seems to work)
99.JPG
99.JPG (136.72 KiB) Viewed 7499 times
ValeryD
Viceroy

Re: Oh dear A99 problem!

Unread post by ValeryD »

Try cleanup connector for lenses
Everything in the life unusual!
bfitzgerald

No joy makes no difference, I even tried it lens release off with no lens.
Everything is working, menus, AF, aperture control (and DOF preview), it takes a shot (with no obvious problems with it ie image looks fine), then the error message comes up. The shutter is "open" as per usual, but it almost sounds as if it's firing twice (it isn't looking at it, but it has an additional sound after the shot is taken). I also tried first curtain off, and the sensor clean. So it is pretty much a one shot camera with remove battery between shots!

I did contact Sony support, I have no idea if it's possible to repair it - so I guess I will see
I haven't put a ton of shots on it since i got it in Dec 2018, and I believe it also had a shutter repair before. My guess is something is wrong with the mechanism. I did read some threads about the aperture ring can cause the problem, however it appears to be working stopping down when taking the photo, and the DOF preview is also functioning as I would expect
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

I'm just spit-balling... I had a similar situation with my NEX 7. I would take a shot and then it would lock-up, and then a while later I would hear an additional shutter sound. I would have to remove the battery to clear things up, but then the problem would repeat. I thought the camera was a gonner. However, removing, reinserting, and reformatting the memory card fixed the problem. Apparently the camera was getting confused while trying to write to the card.
A7 III - A99 - NEX 7 - A900 - A100 - RX100 IV
bfitzgerald

Thanks for the tip, I did try it. A few odd things going on, one Sandisk card it just didn't want to know, but it works in other cameras. Reformat then it was OK in the A99. But the problem shows still, tried slot 2 same/ It might not be a shutter problem maybe something else. I will see what Sony say, that should be interesting. If it's fixable for a reasonable cost I've no problem, if they have parts that is. If not I've got a full frame single shot camera, and video machine - which isn't really that useful! Worst case a sell for parts camera, but it would be better if it was fixable.
bfitzgerald

I got an email from Sony it's a send it back to Wales for repair. They did provide a "non working" troubleshooting link (sigh..) so I've asked for one that works. I'm also not sure about the import duties/tax thing aka Brexit. This is the list of their charges. You get hit even if you refuse a quote/repair, or if it's not fixable.
Looking at their rates I'm thinking a repair could be not that cheap. It might even exceed the cost of the price I paid for it.I also have to pay even if they do nothing. Wondering if I should cut my loses and sell it for parts/not working. At least I would get something back. I like the camera but I'm not sure it's worth fixing unless it can be done at a not crazy price.
5555.JPG
5555.JPG (117.83 KiB) Viewed 7227 times
bfitzgerald

Update!
Interesting I decided to put it up for sale for parts, then for one last bash took it outside to take a few shots.
After I checked the shutter count which is pretty low at 37.5K.
Had the same error come up after a single shot, so I kept removing the battery
Then all of a sudden it started working normally again, I fired off 100 shots, some at 6fps no error message!
Today powered it up, and seems to be working 100%, so I have no idea what the problem was or if it will return. So I'll hang onto it and just keep using it

Maybe miracles can happen? lol
bfitzgerald

From time to time it still does it, then it seems to work just fine. Sometimes 5 shots then it shows the error
Seems to happen if I don't use it for a bit, but then it's OK. I wonder what it might be? I did read about memory cards, so I might try a few more
It is usable for what I need so I will hold onto it. I did pick up an LAEA4, so perhaps when I get bored of the A6300 I might pick up a cheap FF body later on. One of those odd things.
If it completely dies I'll auction it for parts. A99's are still fairly expensive used, even A900's are for some odd reason.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

It looks like there's a bad contact somewhere. Try looking for a camera repair manual. You can just shake the connectors a little bit. Also disconnect the cables and rinse very thoroughly with alcohol.
Everything in the life unusual!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I know how frustrating this is for you. If you hadn't told me the brand my guess would have been Sony. I have 3 Sony cameras and all of them developed problems in a short time. :-( And my 2 Konica Minolta 7D bodies also had serious problems.

My 8 Minolta cameras (7 35mm film bodies, 1 digital) never had problems. And my 9 Canon digital cameras, 10 Olympus cameras (6 digital, 4 35mm film), 3 Panasonic digital, Mamiya/Sekor 35mm, etc. have all been fine with never any problems.
bfitzgerald

First time I've seen a problem so far, that includes A200, A57, 77, 77ii - so hard for me to say if and how reliable they are
I'm not a heavy hard user on gear, I don't throw it around and my shot count isn't anywhere near high bar maybe the odd marathon which isn't happening due to lock downs. Even then my years shot rate is modest.
I was using it the other day (A99) and it worked fine no issues, so I have 0 ideas what the problem was or is. I hadn't used it for some months when I picked it up, not that this should matter. I won't pull it apart at this stage. Neither would I feel comfortable selling it on wouldn't want someone else to have a problem down the road. So I'll just use it and see what happens.
I did see someone list an A99 on eBay non working (same thing one shot error) they said it got soaked in a back pack (makes you wonder how good the sealing is on these bodies?) They got over 350 euro for it parts only!

Either way I'll have to hold onto it and just keep it running as long as it does. I don't know how reliable the E Mount bodies are only had one for a short time which I intend to sell on later probably. It's one reason I have not bailed out on A Mount, if I have to keep the A99 then it's a bit silly to sell off the other gear, but I do think about it every other day. I suppose I could sell it as sort of working/for parts, though I quite like using it and I've yet to find anything that really grabs me to move to. And it would take a good while to move all the stuff I have bits and pieces - I have more value in APS-C lenses at this time
I've not had any Minolta body issues bar the first black frame which is fixed on my original body. People I know have found Canon to be reliable, bar the 24-105mm lens issues, that seems common. Bodies seem quite durable long term