Minolta podcast...

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Minolta podcast...

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Worth a listen if you have 50 minutes spare, some interesting points raised
https://classiccamerarevival.podbean.co ... xum-power/
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: Minolta podcast...

Unread post by classiccameras »

Interesting history., is there any one out there using the Minolta DSLR's, before Sony got their sticky little mitts on the brand
bfitzgerald

The "mind of Minolta" as they say
IMO it remains one of the tragedies of the camera industry that Minolta isn't still around - they were unique, of course they made mistakes but pushed innovation in a way nobody else has since (in my view).
Konica Minolta did co-design some lenses with Nikon, including some for Z mount - so it appears they are still semi active in imaging
I still from time to time ponder if at some point it's time to jump on a different train however late that might be :mrgreen:
classiccameras
Viceroy

Just look at the work Minolta did for Leica, in the 35 mm days, The Leica R4 with Copal square vertical running shutter, was a Minolta product/design It was a trade off with Leica as Leica gave Minolta the technique to make Black Chrome', Some of the Leica lenses especially zooms were re badged Minolta. I still have a collection of Rokkor lenses,
Jumping on a different train has been an option for any photographer, I have jumped ship a couple of times over the years and some times regretted it.
I think any brand you move to will not tick every box, may be some more than others, But! One reason I switched to a high end Bridge camera, Pentax have been owned by several companies but they have always kept and promoted the name Pentax, its more than Sony have done for Minolta. Sad.
bfitzgerald

You are right it's not always better on the other side, and F/EOS mount isn't likely to offer anything much new at all. Both makers have lost interest in SLR's that is quite obvious (sooner than many thought too)
I think Sony have known for a good 8-10 years A mount was not their priority, it might have been better for everyone had they been a bit more upfront about that and called it quits sooner. Whilst even 5-6 years ago I had no doubt it was on a limited run, some might have invested more heavily into the system when the A99ii came out, that sent entirely the wrong signals IMO to buyers/users that they were still invested in the mount - when clearly they were not. I fortunately didn't invest heavily in expensive glass or new bodies - you won't get the lens prices you want for G/Zeiss stuff, the A99ii is quite in demand though.

It's a double edged sword my head says I have what I need, and can use this stuff long term it does everything I need. I can get hold of what I want if I break things and prices will be good moving down the road. The other side is I want nothing at all to do with Sony, party down to this and the LAEA5 is IMO for most a complete waste of time and not what A mount users needed a poor gesture from the company. Partly down to the oddball direction they have gone with camera design. It's just got very little to nothing to do with Minolta's thinking. Yes it is sad
Looking back though, I was never very comfortable with Sony from day 1, I did try to switch mounts twice - both times complete disaster!
classiccameras
Viceroy

Interesting, as we see all the main brands go for down sizing their systems ( at crazy prices ) the existing APS-C systems from Canikon must be on a stay of execution or at least until their mini system sales out do the older cameras and that won't happen over night. There is a swing in the direction of the smaller mount cameras, but its a messy change over and ill prepared in my view by all but especially by Sony from A to E, they acted rudderless for a coupled of years. There is only one small mount system that is established with no change over mount to worry about and has a dedicated following and that's Micro 4/3, They have not had the change over crisis. or have drifted about with no place to go, they are already there. I wouldn't change systems for another brand, for no reason, it will need to be for a sensible and in my view logical reason and that is size and weight.
bfitzgerald

It looks like the entry level stuff is going rapidly, and lenses/bodies being discontinued by Canikon. I'm not sure where APS-C Canon users go (they have nothing to offer in RF and EOS M seems more casual users v action/sports)
Interesting times - though I suspect things might contract even more in the next few years -even with a few blips here and there.
I'm not sure size is a huge factor, granted it is useful to have small gear to transport, my son suggested Fujifilm ;-D
It's all about £££ $$$, very expensive to move systems or invest in the new MILC without adapting lenses (which could save quite a lot)
Moan as I may about Sony with the gear I have and so much of it, I'd be looking at quite a long time to offload that lot - and some items I'd take a bath on. Funny thing is the bodies seem to be more valuable now, MBP shifts them quickly A99ii went for 2k Euro in a few hours!

Perhaps people are "digging in" and picking up spare stuff v offloading and investing in MILC
Every time I try to downsize I end up chickening out and failing to list anything! Who knows one day I might whip up the courage or perhaps do a small step try out with another maker. ie don't sell off the entire kit. Maybe I can find something I like!

Sad really all those who invested in SLR gear are now being dropped quite quickly I see quite a bit of angst from Canikon users on this. Canon are probably best placed to weather it with their adapter solution. I could one day see myself offloading and picking up some. Rokkor lenses
classiccameras
Viceroy

The one thing in Canikon's favour is the huge used market. Yes, indeed its tough deciding what to off load, I guess what you hardly use should be the first to go. I doubt there is an alternative system that would tick all your boxes, plus if you did build a new system on another brand, perhaps you would be more choosy as to what you really need rather than you must have.

Rokkor lensed are superb and there are very few matches in the digital world equal, probably applies to Canon FD and Nikkor lenses to.
Canon are still massive globally although its a shrinking market.
I joined this site because it was for Sony/Minolta users and its been great, mainly because I was a Minolta manual 35mm SLR user, but if Sony want to transition to a different mount for goodness sake make a nice looking easy to hold ergonomic body,

So far my Micro 4/3 system ticks most boxes for me plus it has a growing used market. My GX7 was used as was the 14-42 and 14-140. Its a pity Olympus didn't stay with the OM bodies, plenty small enough and APS-C for digital but mirrorless was but a dream in those days. I had an OM-2 N superb camera and optics, I yearned at the time for an OM-4. but Canon got the better of me which I never regretted.
bfitzgerald

No shortage of stuff for Canikon so perhaps the not likely far off demise of EOS and F mount won't matter that much - but it is coming and faster than some think. Clearly they are cutting back on bodies and lenses, with little to nothing happening on either mount.
Minolta were often criticised for changing their body design often, on the other hand we not have Sony following Canon by not changing anything! Strange to me because if you don't like what's on offer - you'll continue to not like the same thing repeated over and over!

Sony desperately need a good body designer, who came up with the concept of hard edges on a device you hold in your hands? Perhaps Canon seem to have been more faithful to their EOS look, Nikon not so much but having used one it's a much nicer camera to hold than the FF E mount bodies I've touched. It's never obvious which direction to take Canon as usual give you the bare minimum with the RP, one to watch if they do update it and put IS in the body (that would be a big pull IMO adapting non IS EOS lenses). Nikon give more but seem to have their own minefield of compatibility issues, they have no support for screw drive lenses at all, which is baffling.

I suppose with Sony it's take it or leave it, just I tend to have more leave it days then take it ones! Then I pull some of the old lenses out and still love the look of them. But I will have a clear out 20 lenses is ridiculous and I don't need that many, and I've too many film bodies (dumped a few bad film 5's). Once you have a film 7 you don't need anything else. I might be better off offloading some APS-C lenses and a body too, the A6300 has done it's job and will be up for the chop soon - nice sensor in a very odd body. I could offload that and another crop body and some lenses and raise quite a decent bit of cash, to do what with I'm not sure! It probably makes more sense to be full frame if I do tough it out on A Mount for a while longer

There is also a part of me that would like to get back to OVF's! I'm a bit bored of looking at displays all the time, spend far too much time looking at screens, and truth is I started using the 5d more and more even with it's mediocre OVF it was refreshing and appealing. I badly wanted an OM4Ti at one point great camera really impressed me.
classiccameras
Viceroy

I like using my Canon 650D because its got a nice un cluttered OVF. I must admit that most cameras with EVF are pushing too much info into your eyes, and it can get tiring and distracting, also some times confusing.

As for body shape, Pentax seem to be getting it right with their DSLR's, their OVF are the best I have seen. In my view adorning the bodies with LED lights in a vain attempt to attract buyers fell flat on its face. ( Olympus E series the worst ) on a digital camera and easy to use. Plus they have IBS, another bonus point. Pentax are building up a good used market, plus after market lenses are available.
What put me off was the way below par Jpegs from Pentax, although things have apparently improved on recent models. As you know I have always been a Jpeg fan, Olympus and Fuji being the best. Pentax kit lenses were so so for optical performance plus the big price hike a couple of years ago.

I might just re visit some of the reviews although none are that truthful or are just biased. As for Pentax's future, who knows, they have a tiny section of the DSLR market, but no signs of collapse yet. Will they join the compact ICL market, may be, Back in the day Pentax were one of the big 3 and many Pros used them. I loved the Fresnel screen and split image focussing of the early SLR's, it was almost impossible to take an unfocussed picture, unless other factors came into play. I think Pentax tick as many negative boxes as they do positive, but it all depends on what you want it for.
Early OM4T cameras were battery eaters which put me off but later models Ti were much improved.
bfitzgerald

Pentax always did feel pretty good in the hand, and they seem to be pushing the SLR with the new K3iii - evidently a great OVF. However at 2K cost it's a non runner for anyone except heavily invested K mount users. It's great it's still around, but long term it's not a viable system for most. They never had much third party lens support (way less even than A mount), and now they have none so it's native Pentax or a few used Tamrons/Sigmas. Might not be a problem, but if I had 2K I wouldn't be buying an APS-C camera!
The other SLR mounts are neglected but as far as Canikon goes they have a ton of stuff out there - will be interesting how long they keep those going.

I'd wager RF mount is the safest out there, the cost of lenses is pretty hard to swallow. Z mount is the most adaptable due to the shortest flange distance, really down to Nikon if they can drag themselves back into shape. I would be pretty amazed if they bail out such a big maker not impossible - would be quite dire if they did.

Also keeping an eye open for what if anything Sony does with body design (probably nothing!) and that LAEA5 if they extend support. If not I'd say my interest would wane over time. I did sell off my Dynax 60, I've been going through non useful stuff to offload it. I might drop the APS-C stuff if I can shift a few lenses. Just a general clear out of items, and I'll see where things are then. I can run with what I have no problems it works and does the job. But like I said if I were into buying a system now, I just wouldn't really consider E Mount viable for me, based on their body design mostly. They have a ton of lenses and third party support, that's an obvious strength. If the cameras are not fun or nice to use, that's a huge problem for me. It surely makes much more sense to down the road adapt the A Mount lenses, it's a huge shame Sony turned the LAEA5 into a sales pitch v a viable adapter for users - that doesn't sit well with me and I'm sure it doesn't with many others.

Always thought Olympus should have done the OM thing full frame digital, that's just my take but I like their lenses a lot
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:58 pm So far my Micro 4/3 system ticks most boxes for me plus it has a growing used market. My GX7 was used as was the 14-42 and 14-140. Its a pity Olympus didn't stay with the OM bodies, plenty small enough and APS-C for digital but mirrorless was but a dream in those days. I had an OM-2 N superb camera and optics, I yearned at the time for an OM-4. but Canon got the better of me which I never regretted.
I should note that the Olympus OM-1 was actually a bit larger than the E-M5:

OM-1: 510g, 136 x 83 x 50mm
E-M5: 425g, 122 x 89 x 43mm
E-M1III: 504g, 134 x 90mm x 68mm

The current E-M5III and E-M10IV are also compact. The E-M1III has a built-in handgrip so that makes it a bit thicker. So, if you like the OM-1 size/weight then you would love the E-M1III size/weight. If you now have second thoughts and don't like the relatively large/heavy OM-1 anymore then maybe an E-M5III or E-M10IV are the size/weight you would like. :)

If you add a motor drive to the OM cameras then they are much bigger and much heavier! Think about all those AA batteries too! :lol: If that is what you have such fond OM memories of then the E-M1X will give you a thrill up your leg! :lol:

My recollection is that the OM-2n body cost something like $450 when it came out in about 1979. Adjusted for inflation that is about $1670 now. Of course, back then you had the additional significant expense of film, processing, and taxes on all of that too. We've got it good these days! :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:53 am If you add a motor drive to the OM cameras then they are much bigger and much heavier! Think about all those AA batteries too! :lol: If that is what you have such fond OM memories of then the E-M1X will give you a thrill up your leg! :lol:
OM-drive-3.jpg
OM-drive-3.jpg (19.31 KiB) Viewed 6702 times
om-2_bulk_drive.jpg
om-2_bulk_drive.jpg (151.69 KiB) Viewed 6702 times
OM-drives.jpg
OM-drives.jpg (18.64 KiB) Viewed 6702 times
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

e-m1x.jpg
e-m1x.jpg (96 KiB) Viewed 6702 times
OM-catalog.jpg
OM-catalog.jpg (114.5 KiB) Viewed 6702 times
classiccameras
Viceroy

Yes, indeed, in the 35mm days we were stuck with the running costs of a film camera, but I never ventured into bulk motor drive,
Digital has certainly given us a good deal in running costs and much more. The Pentax ME was slightly smaller than OM