A Little bit of G.A.S.

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

A Little bit of G.A.S.

Unread post by Dusty »

So, and old friend called recently. Seems the photographer had bailed on his daughter's wedding, and asked if I could step in.

Doing his oldest daughter's wedding in 2008 was what got me into digital in the first place.

Taking a look at what I have: my 2 350s still take good pics, but since I dropped both of them and broke the rear screens in the same month, I updated to a couple of 580s. I had bought a 700 from Pako, but after a few years it would lock up after every photo, so it's toast. Some wonderful person here sent me their 700 when they no longer had need of it, and it's still working great.

One of my 580's has become flakey - a stuck contact somewhere, cant figure out where, that causes it to continuously flip thru the settings, making it hard to set it how you want to. So, can't trust that one, and the other one has been showing no lens info at times, even though it doesn't seem to effect the photos.

Since Alpha mount is in reality dead, and I don't have the money to switch mounts, - e-bay to the rescue!

There were a a couple of tempting a65s, which I was outbid on, and would have been a problem as I believe they have the updated flash shoe, and my flashes are the old shoe. I picked up a very nice a550 for $120 from a camera dealer in Indianapolis, and also my very first Zeiss, the 16-80, for a sweet $215. Arriving tomorrow should be another 580, listed only as "used, working good" for $220.

With this bit of kit I'll feel confident I can do a great job for him again, and extend my Alpha line for a while longer. I still wish Sony would put together an a770 and an a990, but it seems the future with them is e-mount.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Dusty

Re: A Little bit of G.A.S.

Unread post by Dusty »

It seems like the G.A.S. hasn't totally left my system yet. This morning there was a Sigma 8-16 - a lens I've lusted after for quite some time - just sitting on e-bay with no one bidding on it.

I had to go meet the wedding party to get a review of the venue, and it was going to end before I got back, so I hit the 'make offer' button, and put in $350. It immediately popped up as accepted, and it's now on it's way.

When I got home, the a580 was sitting in the parcel box, and It looks to be in better shape then any of mine. I set it up and shot a quick pick of one of the dogs, and it looks just fine.

Now, when I get that ultra-wide in box next week, I'll have to see how it does. After reviewing the venue, I may be glad I got it. The place is pretty tight, and in keeping with modern weddings, has a large entourage: 12 in the wedding party. On top of that, it's themed. Lord of the Rings. Shouldn't have just cut my long gray beard!

Dusty
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Interesting A mount GAS in 2021!
I was looking at that lens going back a bit it seems to be quite good from what I see. Ended up with the Tokina a 11-16mm
I could have sold you that for less ;-D
Sony dropped out of OVF far too soon IMO, other makers might find a back lash on the EVF only stance if they as expected go that way
Choice is good none isn't!
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Barry, I wish I would have known you had one you were willing to part with. DK's opinion of the Tokina makes me want to have one, and I wanted one right before they stopped making it in Alpha mount. Right after that, the used price went up to more than new, for Alpha.

Since it's a bit faster, it would be better indoors, and have a shallower DOF. The main reason, however, I wanted the Sigma was that it gives me a greater than 90 degree FOV, and I like to take photos inside buildings.

I did have one more burp today. I picked up an F58 Sony flash. I have a great Metz, and the F42, but the 58 is much more flexible. Someone had one for $20 (I was the only bidder) because "you have to hold the battery door shut." Well, I have packing tape! I'm also very mechanically inclined, and may be able get it to latch properly on it's own.

Dusty
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

In Europe I still see it for sale at quite a good price (about 320 euro new) I paid not far off 500.
Was it worth it? I got my money back and more with interior shots. When I was digging around for an UWA on crop, speed didn't seem that important
However it's really quite good at 11mm F2.8, 16mm needs a bit of stopping down still very decent. I found the corners to be good on the one I got
Limited range that is true, shame the 11-20mm didn't come to A mount.
I found it bizarre that Sony kept the old Tamron/KM 11-18mm around since forever. That was one lens that should have been updated - badly. Their mistake so Tokina clearly saw an opening there and I think they sold a decent number of those lenses.
For me 11mm wide enough, then again 17mm is on FF (they are close the Tokina a fraction more field of view). The sigma looked interesting if you needed even more!
There are some pretty cheap A mount bits flying around particularly the flashes sell for peanuts. It's not a bad time for bargain hunting - except bodies which are up in price, bar the old stuff which is still cheap.
I'm just trying to offload my crop stuff (or as much as I can), before I make a decision about what I do with full frame A mount/if I continue with it or ditch Sony entirely

At the moment I have the Tokina if anyone is interested they can PM me, it is up for sale on a few places