Civility

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Civility

Unread post by aster »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Don has been sent a warning (because of his completely unjustified attack on Aster - Yildiz). I've said before that I do not want to ban Don as he has periods when he can be helpful and almost come over as a warm human being. Maybe this is not a good week for him. Written words, doesn't matter whether it's in a letter, a text, an email or on a forum are sometimes too easy to write in anger, contempt or whatever. I do not believe that if you met Don personally he would treat you the same way. If he was really like that, there wouldn't be a single cheerleader, squirrel or cichlid willing to give him a smile.

David
I haven't even seen what he wrote out of his imagination above and won't look to see. There must be some really nasty words up there if you sent a warning but in any case I know I won't like him in person either and glad there's no way we'll meet. I didn't know this person or his photos before I came to this forum and I'll be better of not knowing his future whereabouts.

And I don't think there's any warning powerful enough in preventing his insults. But I am not pursuing the actions anyway...either way.

Yildiz
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Don, this forum is not a photographic contest. There is no requirement that anyone should 'outshoot' others. As for your language towards Yildiz, calling her 'a (banned term) and (banned term)', a 'worthless piece of pooh' and suggesting she 'buy a gun and use it on yourself' is just plain juvenile as well as offensive and hurtful. Adult intellects visiting this forum can judge you as your show yourself.

David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Sadder than I thought. These pBase galleries have been deleted? And you have KEPT and COLLATED all these comments? They have no place here, and nothing to do with your pointless unpleasantness to other forum members. But, as evidence of what you are all about, you could not have posted anything better.

David
Tkevan
Acolyte

Unread post by Tkevan »

Wow,
Don has been a busy little bever, eh?
Nothing like rendering another thread unreadable. :lol:
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

OK, Don, so why not just post your pBase gallery links here instead of all the comments - or indeed, all the photos?

The thread was caused by you. It was entirely about your behaviour here. You are a good photographer; you can be helpful. You could be liked. It's in your hands, not mine.

I find it hard to believe that a good photographer, who clearly wants to be appreciated, should have become a name that makes people decide to not participate here (I get emails telling me that). If I had to suggest a New Year's resolution to you, it would be to make yourself what you should be. You should have been a hero of Minolta/Sony/anyother newsgroups and forums, instead you've somehow made yourself the villain. That has been entirely your doing, no-one else's. I've tolerated you because I find it difficult to believe that a man who lives with so many cats can be all that bad.

Every day I get PM requests to ban you, and explain why I do not. Do me, and yourself, a real favour; show your best side here, treat everyone with respect, post images and links in moderation, be selective and relevant in your responses.

David
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Have to admit I have struggled though the mega image posts on this forum (at times). So I think 3 per post is just fine.
Nothing wrong with being a bit of a rebel, but one needs to have a cause...
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

Hey Don, I'm afraid to say it but you seem to become more and more of a Sonolta fanboy by the minute :wink: <--

*ducking* :)
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
dynaxfl
Acolyte

Unread post by dynaxfl »

I have to say I have learned a lot from Don. Honestly at the first, I was a little bit annoyed by his "massive" posts and lots of photos, because it seems the topic could get lost focus a little bit, I even set up to ignore his posts for like 5 minutes. Then I was very curious why David would not ban him, so I reverses the setting and started to read all the posts. I have to say we can learn a lot from Don if we are just a little bit more patient. I'm amazed how much information / link he can provide. So guys, just be a little bit patient and you will be benefit from that. On the other hand, I think Don should be also a little bit patient on your so called "fanboys" because i believe the learning is always mutual. :)

Overall I think this is a great forum that I can get so much useful information here.
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Well I think sony do benefit (as do other companies) from a bit of constructive criticism. And that paid off on the A700 V4 firmware update, thanks to a number of folks hammering the issue over an extended period of time.
My own stance is somewhat neutral with regards Sony as a brand. I have no major complaints with other products I have purchased over the years, that were made by Sony. On the other hand, simply because I am a Sony/Minolta user, does not mean I rush out to buy purely Sony based stuff in other areas, so no, I am not a sony fanboy at all. I simply, like many others, pick the product that best suits my needs, be it Sony or any other maker.
For example buying a Sony cybershot isn't on my list. Not that they are bad cameras, in fact somewhat improved over time as it happens. Just that I am anti Memory stick, and refuse to buy any product that supports just that format ;-)

Now, onto more pressing matters. I am still waiting for that A200 firmware update (add A300/350 too if you wish)
Looking for:

MLU
AEL spot toggle
and better jpegs..

That would do me. I would encourage users to post their feelings on the sony blog, and get things moving on this front. Ok, it might not work...but it never hurts to try. Sony have improved a fair bit since the A100 was launched, and addressed some of the concern areas that I had. More work to do, but for now, I am content enough to stick with A mount.
alfake
Heirophant

Unread post by alfake »

Sonolta wrote:This may be my last day or two in the forum for a while as it's my New Year's resolution to get rich or famous this year
Don, I wish you the best luck with your projects. And don’t forget us, the poor guys of this forum, once you become rich and famous!
Alfonso
p.s.: I hope you will keep in touch from time to time and let us know, at least, the outcome of your projected new acquisitions (of equipment). I would be particularly interested in your final decision on the bridge camera model… (I am also interested in that kind of camera, although not in a hurry).
mcddeb
Initiate

Unread post by mcddeb »

Don,

I really don't understand your reaction at all. Obviously, you are a very talented photographer and I am impressed by the sharpness and clarity of your photos. Why should you care if someone doesn't like your style of photography? For the few that do not there are many who enjoy your work and are willing to pay for it, so let it go. If people fall in love with their camera equipment and think it's the best, well hoorah for them, if that makes them fanboys - so what? No one makes the perfect, affordable camera that can be acquired and conquered by most people, not Canon, Nikon or Sony or the rest. We all make selections that work best for ourselves at our budgets.

Criticism is hard to take. My personal way of handling it after I unclench my jaw, is I step back and consider what is being said. Does the criticism have any merit, are there ways I can improve or avoid the problem, behavior, etc. No one is perfect, no one knows it all, no one is going to be understood or liked by everybody and that is ok. I think the only thing that will hold you back from achieving the success and riches that are your goals, is the behavior you have exhibited in this thread. I do not say this to insult or upset you, but to help you. You won't be the first person whose career is derailed by an explosive temper. As you pursue your stated goals this year, you will hit harder walls than what has been expressed in this thread, you don't need to unravel at the slightest hint of disfavor. There is a 4 letter word to use for distractors .... Next! Move on to the next person, the next project, don't waste your time, energy and talent on those that do not accept your work. It's not their taste - so what, who cares, that's art--- next!

They say living well is the best revenge, so here's hoping you have a prosperous successful 2009, I'll be looking for your name in photography periodicals. And how DO you get such brilliantly clear and focused photos?

Sincerely and best wishes

Debra
DonSchap
Initiate

Unread post by DonSchap »

In my experience, I have learned one thing that seems to be Universal, for what it is worth. Your camera is very similar to using your favorite paint brush. What comes out of it is your decision. I doubt very much that people close their eyes when they paint ... and let "Zen" forces deliver the goods. The same thing applies to photography, in my estimation ... you, the guy (or gal) behind the viewfinder decides on what gets shot and how. Usually every decision takes place in your mind BEFORE you press the shutter release to "sculpt" your creation with light.

Obviously, there are those "by chance" moments where you only get ONE TAKE ... and then your experience usually comes into play to deliver the masterpiece (hopefully). I do believe we are all kindred spirits when it comes to our need to master this art. Some do it instinctively, many other (perhaps most) do it by trial and error and that old friend, the "learning curve." Hence, newbies!

I find that reaching out and assisting others up the hill is a heck of a lot more satisfying than being the ONLY ONE able to make the capture. "Heroic imagery" may have its moments, but you still need an audience to appreciate it, be it family, friends or the entire world you are trying to share it with. I tend to enjoy teaching by doing ... and explaining the pit-falls encountered when you get a little too brave with your work. Arguing a point of view with details can be tedious ... and then I find myself pausing and remembering to "KISS" (Keep it simple, Stupid!).

The weird thing is, every pebble, stone or boulder we stumble upon usually gets the same treatment by someone else behind you, unless you take the time to clear it away. Photographic techniques and knowledge follow along the same type of treatment. Skills are learned, developed and put into use as things present themselves. Those paths are not all the same ... but my point is, be patient. Frustration is usually just a temporary perception. It is up to the "experienced one" to seize the "moment of reception", where the student/follower is ready to learn, and clear the path, or help the others to do so. Life can be so lonely ... when you are the only one at the top ... of your game. Bring a "friend" up with you and enjoy the view.

Peace in the coming New Year. I think we shall all need it.
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

DonSchap wrote: Peace in the coming New Year. I think we shall all need it.
I'm afraid you're right and I agree with what you said.
Happy New Year.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
mcddeb
Initiate

Unread post by mcddeb »

Agree and well spoken Don.

Debra
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

DonSchap wrote: Bring a "friend" up with you and enjoy the view.
Don,

I just had to say that I popped across to look at your Flickr site and we both fell about here laughing at this :lol:

Especially the comments below it from seanhoxx.

About time we had a smile in this thread :)

Brian
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter