New Trends

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
A1000

New Trends

Unread post by A1000 »

http://presscentre.sony.eu/Content/Deta ... wsAreaID=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back iluminated CMOS is here, and it shoots full HD at probably 30 FPS, I guess, and is 12 MP.

Sony best consumer and prosumer camcorders no longer use Carl Zeiss lenses, but Sony G; the less expensive camcorders still use CZ.

So it seems like all the past imager technology has been surpassed with the new XMOR-R sensors, and it was again not Canon, but Sony, who proved to be the leader in CMOS camera sensors, just as they are in CMOS video camera sensors.

XMOR sensors will also be used in cell phones, as Sony is about to sell OEM up to 12 MP camera modules.

It seems that CCD will be used primarily in the highest end pro video cameras, the rest will eventually all move towards back iluminated CMOS sensors.

Now, Sony has some major CCD manufacturing facility. I guess it will, in not too distant future, become more or less idle, at least the CCD portion of it, until CMOS-R fab lines move in.

Where does this leaves Zeiss? I'm sure that Sony has exclusive on their brand when it comes to AF 35 mm lenses, camcorder, and P&S lenses.

Kyocera contract with Zeiss will expire in not that distant future, so Zeiss will still be able to sell Contax lenses, or just the name, to others.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: New Trends

Unread post by alphaomega »

I also saw the entry on this new Sony sensor under Photoclubalpha Articles just made available this morning. I would be most interested in how this combination of new tecnologies could be made available for the Alpha DSRL products. In particular I fancy an A700 upgrade with a backlit APC-S CMOS sensor at 18 Mp and higher ISO low noise performance to surpass cameras such as the Nikon D700 and Canon 5DII and including Sony LV on a 3" movable screen without a reduced OVF. This sensor should be able to take the best lenses to the limit of their resolving powers at optimum settings. Surely if Sony can make a telephone compatible backlit sensor at 12 Mp they can make an 18 Mp APS-C sensor with the performance briefly outlined above. This would then become the ultimate APS-C DSLR camera.

As I am reasonably happy at present with my A700/A350 I shall sit back and wait for Sony to come up with the goods.
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

Something else interesting: The G lens is 60x zoom. I guess MP's and zoom No's sell. I guess the extra CMOS sensitivity will not help at the telephoto end. Let's see if Samsung could top Sony next year with 100x zoom, which will be 45-4,500 mm equivalent, with 100 digital extension extending it to 450.000 mm. Would a two ton tripod keep this Handycam steady?
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Digital zoom is nothing more than cropping. I don't see the advantage to it being in-camera. That's why I always go for the high MP count and high optical zoom, because if I need to enlarge a portion of the frame, I can do it better in software than the camera can.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

What is interesting is that the EXMOR-R CMOS is also Clearvid, which means diagonal pixel arrangement and 6MP interpolated to 12, so it is not true 12MP
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

A1000 wrote: Kyocera contract with Zeiss will expire in not that distant future, so Zeiss will still be able to sell Contax lenses, or just the name, to others.
Do you have any more precise information on this?

Cheers, Bob.
youpii
Heirophant

Unread post by youpii »

A1000 wrote: Where does this leaves Zeiss? I'm sure that Sony has exclusive on their brand when it comes to AF 35 mm lenses, camcorder, and P&S lenses.
Kyocera contract with Zeiss will expire in not that distant future, so Zeiss will still be able to sell Contax lenses, or just the name, to others.
I don't see Sony dropping Zeiss in the SLR market.
Zeiss is simply a magical name. From a marketing point of view, it's an outstanding product differenciator.
If you look in DPreview's forums, many photographers are switching to A900 only because of the ZA lenses.
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

No, I don't.

Check this http://www.cosina.co.jp/sitemap/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zeiss is just name and a design team. Sony can design as good lenses as Zeiss, but Zeiss allows to sell these lenses at premium cost and increases image of the Sony system.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... -xr520v:ss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These are specs on the new camcorder with XMOR-R
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

I think the biggest news is the GPS.

Integrated and for Video, that's new.

I hope to heck the AMC folks are with it and we will see new Alphas with GPS built in very soon. That's one of the 2 major issues I have with Sony right now. No GPS support and no TS lenses. Lets see if they can knock off both issues come PMA.
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

XMOR-R is the biggest new, IMHO

It seems that the image sensor division is far ahead of Sony camera department. That is why Sony sensors are applied by Canon, Nikon, Casio in a lot better way than by Sony.

Sony and Minolta have a lot in comon, propriotary formats (e.g. flash hot shoe), one flagship camera to help sell inexpensive cameras, electronic and other innovations.
moire2
Acolyte

Unread post by moire2 »

When will we see XMOR-R in a dSLR?
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

But how is something that Sony announced months ago that big of news with this now. It looks to be using the IMX057. I don't expect this sensor tech to come to the DSLRs anytime soon as the unit cell size they are using would make for a 282MP sensor when done in 35mm FF. Bit high rez than I think most are looking for there.

But integration of GPS on continuous video I believe has never been done before, and general GPS integration is heading towards DSLRs. This very well is a strong hint of what comes in models coming up. If backlit sensor comes to the Alphas that may be a much longer way out.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

PhotoTraveler wrote:But how is something that Sony announced months ago that big of news with this now. It looks to be using the IMX057. I don't expect this sensor tech to come to the DSLRs anytime soon as the unit cell size they are using would make for a 282MP sensor when done in 35mm FF. Bit high rez than I think most are looking for there.
Well, I wouldn't complain about 282MP, as that means we can do some awesome crops! However, I'd like to see better tonal range - on a par with film, or even better - and less noise. Actually, at 282MP, we're approaching 4x5 film. The question then becomes will we have the lenses that can resolve 282MP on a FF sensor?

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).