How Bad Is Sony Quality Control ?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

How Bad Is Sony Quality Control ?

Unread post by peterottaway »

Most of the recent commentary has been about Sony firmware and in camera processing. But at the same time a number of members have made comments about quality control issues with both camera and lens construction.

In fact we have had the example of a problem A700 in the last couple of days.

Given that there a number of members do have experience with other brands of digital SLR's, exactly how bad really is Sony in comparison to Nikon, Canon, Pentax etc ?

I have owned 3 different DSLR's - a Nikon D70 which at about 6 months began to develop any number of annoying problems and then died, a KM 5D that when the battery was reinserted into the camera after recharge the camera's power system was found to have died ( end of week 2 ) and the A700 which apart from the firmware issues has worked.

To be blunt about it, whether my next camera will be the Nikon D300 replacement or the Sony A700 replacement depends on this quality control issue.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Re: How Bad Is Sony Quality Control ?

Unread post by stevecim »

you have a point, but unless you get raw data from the manufactures you will never know what the true quality level is.

No manufacture aims for 100% quality, cost to much, they will accept a certin % of faulty cameras. and this would be different for different models.

It's only when things go really really bad, or when a company builds up a rep. of being bad that we have any idea on their quality control.

we the end users will never know if Sony had say a 5% failure rate or if Nikon have 7% failure

Cheers, Stephen
DonSchap
Initiate

Unread post by DonSchap »

Word came in from California, on one of the boards (I forget which), that a new SONY buyer had recently purchased a A300 or A350 from a camera retail chain (name withheld) ... only to find the focus way off and effectively useless. He had purchased several lenses along with the camera. It didn't matter the lens he mounted, it didn't work. So, he took it back. Then, the store went through all their stock and EVERY A300 or A350 camera had the same issue. That was amazing. He eventually wound up with an A700, just to have something to use, but if something like that can "sneak out", who's asleep at the switch?

That's a quality disaster. :evil: I know it sounds like hearsay ... and I suppose it is, but the bottom line ... if true, is sad.

I was hoping that with the higher cost of the SONY logo on these lenses, it might imply a little more concern for quality, especially since they are trying to improve market share. A SNAFU like that could spoil it all.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

What about all the batteries that Sony have had to replace?
fastson
Heirophant

Unread post by fastson »

alphaomega wrote:What about all the batteries that Sony have had to replace?
Possibly Sonys biggest failure.

I've never had issues with my two Sony dSLRs (A100, A700). Overall, all my Sony products have been very reliable. My VAIO computer had a clouding effect on the LCD screen though, but they replaced that screen.
Flickr - Sony A100, Sony A700 - SAL50F14, SAL16105, SAL1870, Minolta 35-70 F4, Minolta 70-210 F4, Tamron 90 F2.8 Macro
DonSchap
Initiate

Unread post by DonSchap »

I am currently struggling with a rear thumbwheel short (in one spot, the control shorts and sends the aperture settings and IMAGE Playback running). This is the third shot at trying to this repaired. Kind makes the camera unreliable. The repair technician cannot seem to replicate the problem, yet the moment I turn it on, when they send it back ... there it it is, as I turn the wheel. :(
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

DonSchap wrote:I am currently struggling with a rear thumbwheel short (in one spot, the control shorts and sends the aperture settings and IMAGE Playback running). This is the third shot at trying to this repaired. Kind makes the camera unreliable. The repair technician cannot seem to replicate the problem, yet the moment I turn it on, when they send it back ... there it it is, as I turn the wheel. :(
Don, you probably have a strong electromagnetic field on and around your fingers. :lol:
Seriously, is there a specific setting when that occurs, or is it independent (i.e. A, S, M, P, or other settings from the menu?)
Change the setting for the rear wheel, i.e. from shutter to aperture or vice versa.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

DonSchap wrote:I am currently struggling with a rear thumbwheel short (in one spot, the control shorts and sends the aperture settings and IMAGE Playback running). This is the third shot at trying to this repaired. Kind makes the camera unreliable. The repair technician cannot seem to replicate the problem, yet the moment I turn it on, when they send it back ... there it it is, as I turn the wheel. :(
I have started to have an intermittent problem with my A700 control wheel also. I posted about it and discovered that many people are having problems and they all say it will get worse. :( I have never had this sort of problem on any of the many other DSLRs and FSLRs that I have owned. You can read about it here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=30539266
Last edited by bakubo on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dynaxfl
Acolyte

Unread post by dynaxfl »

My brand new CZ 24-70mm out of box made high pitch noise whenever you try to focus, feels like internal parts need lubrication. It was annoying but got exchanged at the local Sony store w/o any problem.
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

dynaxfl wrote:My brand new CZ 24-70mm out of box made high pitch noise whenever you try to focus, feels like internal parts need lubrication. It was annoying but got exchanged at the local Sony store w/o any problem.
I wonder what happens to all these replaced items. Sold to the next customer or back to the factory?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I wondered the same about the two 16-80mms I returned to warehouseexpress. Did they return them to Sony, or just check the packaging, check the lens, and fulfill the next order? I hope and trust they returned the lenses to Sony, otherwise there would be no alarm bells ringing at the Sony end re QC. But this often happens with new stock in short supply. Dealer can't get a replacement, items on back order, has an apparently brand new lens returned because some picky awkward customer says it does not focus quite right and sound funny when you shake it.

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Depends on customs law too. Suppose you have bought from a representant's office or dealer a defective item in a third world country. That item has already been paid at the customs (the VAT and other taxes, upon entering the country. Yes that is add, I know), so when the company wants to send it back, it cannot get refunded, no way! So there's one alternative: fix it on place.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dr. Harout wrote:Depends on customs law too. Suppose you have bought from a representant's office or dealer a defective item in a third world country. That item has already been paid at the customs (the VAT and other taxes, upon entering the country. Yes that is add, I know), so when the company wants to send it back, it cannot get refunded, no way! So there's one alternative: fix it on place.
Hi,

You're so correct about the added taxes Dr. Harout! We pay 18% VAT+ 'Special Consumption Tax' which brings the retail price of some items to almost 2-3 times that of the UK, USA or Europe where the currency is EURO. This is overwhelming and discouraging the attempts of new purchases, which would help during this time of an economical crisis to liven the market. Everyone's holding back and going tighter on their personal purchasing habits.

I'm very fortunate that I got Sony equipment that never gave me any trouble and came out of their boxes all in perfect condition. It would be an ordeal to return and try many other samples to find a good sample.

Yildiz
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

So far with my Sony experience in DSLR :

A700:
- since the official launching date of Sony, only the back control wheel that some time go crazy (like scrolling all my picture in a row without stopping, and having difficulty to stop the aperture to go to the maximum value).
- Body, other button, etc OK.
- Mirror is working good after having hit many time old M42 lenses who i have forget to removed the aperture pin on it (BEWARE OF THAT ! :-) ).
- Firmware : some black screen trying to write pictures, Need to re-insertthe battery to get the camera back.
- I have drop the camera two solid time on the ground and the camera is still working (the second time i have to put crazy glue on the Flash mount, cuz the flash was there when the camera drop on the ground).
- LCD need to be protected by plastic (i have got some scratch on it before).

A900:
- Nothing so far, except that i need to clean my Sensor more than i have to do on the A700.
- LCD one small scratch on it ... , Now i have got the Plastic protector, but too late :-(

Lenses:
- 50mm F/1.4. I have use two since i have DSLR, and found nothing wrong with it. But only that the frond hood is not that easy to put and remove , a little bit to tight.
- all my other lenses are Old Minolta classic and heavy duty lenses ... :-) (i have drop three time the 85mm F/1.4 solid on the ground and nothing have been able to break it... , the 28mm f/2.0 one time on a brick, only small scratch on the hood).

flashes:
- The Sony version of the 56HS : Same as Minolta. Nothing wrong with it. Drop it on Rock in an external shooting (it was on the hand of a person there in Wireless mode) and only the battery compartment is not staying at his place now when I'm opening it (but close it is ok). The LCD is protected by a kind of plastic, because it has not broken, even if there is a big scratch on it).

Yes, I'm dropping my stuff on the ground ... , but for me , ma camera usually follow me anywhere :-). One of my Best friend who is experienced photograph told me at my beginning that those equipment are made to be use, and not to shine... :-) And with this attitude, i will have more success to take better shot, and being afraid to use it.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

Sony used to be the top, now with Stringer heading it, it is just another Sanyo or JVC - TV people call JVC the Junk Video Company