Sony Survey

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Sony Survey

Unread post by Dusty »

I've been forgetting to post this. A few days ago I opened up a Sony e-mail. In it was a link to a survey about their DSLRs. They asked which one I had, what lenses, theirs of 3rd party, which features I liked, which I didn't. Which features I never used, which features I would like (select from list). Which features or areas of performance I would like improved.
What would it take to get me to buy another/upgrade.

Some of the things were stupid, like look more expensive, but some were things we talked about here, like higher ISOs, faster FPS, less noise, more DR, etc.

All in all. I thought it rather well done, and found nothing glaringly lacking.

I know my answers are not what everyone else would give, but then again, they were focused on my perceived needs.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Re: Sony Survey

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

They have had such web surveys in the past, the problem is usually they have preformed answers, and all the answers are what they want to hear. And tend to have the tone of the following which is down right frustrating.

"How much of a pixel increase would you like to see: 5, 10, 25, 100MP?" huh, where is less
"What features don't you use: knobs, DOF preview, OVF?" wait wait, where are you going here, I use those.
"What do you love the best about your Sony: Being a Sony, The color, The value, The incredible lens lineup?" ....Who said I loved anything about it.
"What new features to you look forward too: PSP docking support, dual Memory Sticks, RAW encryption?" wait wait, what are you planning....
"What feature will be key to you buying another sony: Additional Button, more colorful menus, auto pop up flash?" hey, that's not what I need to stay.
DonSchap
Initiate

Unread post by DonSchap »

Hey, I've been dying to get SONY's ear on some ideas, like:

1) A full-fledged INFO button/menu (complete digital manual and tutorials)
2) interchangeable sensor upgrades, (to reduce costs) that eliminate the need to replace the entire body (just unplug, as a removable module, the LCD, computer chips, shutter assembly and Sensor - from the rear of the camera and replace with upgrade)
3) Thermal failure warning (in low temperature environments)
4) Thumbprint activation (to prevent theft and unauthorized review of images)
5) Micro/Mini/SD card compatibility
6) Split memory image writing, if desired ... w/ RAW on one card & VFJPEG on the other.

That's a start.
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Actually, Don, they had a whole set of questions about manuals, should they include tutorial DVD's etc. They also asked about including the manual in the camera, something like you want, but it was in a section about features you most want, and I had to pick 3 or 5 (I forget) out of a large list. The INFO button didn't make my list.

I wish I would have thought to take screen shots of every page.

Dusty
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Okay, I was able to get back in to the survey and took screen shots! From them, I've prepared the following, broken up into several posts since some had to include screen shots.

he survey is specific to the a350 and a300 only.

Sometimes I'm paraphrasing or distilling down the questions. Most are single choice of several possible check boxes. I'll usually give you the top and bottom of the range, the steps in between you should be able to assume.

Some are multiple select, sometimes limited to top 3 or 5.

You are first asked for your gender and age range.
Then which camera you own, and is it body only, body w/ DT18-55 and/or DT55-200.

Question 3 photography is my: profession, secondary profession , hobby, I take lots of pics but its not a hobby, I take special occasion pics.

q4
q4.jpg
Q5 I've owned other: DSLRs, Film SLRs, both, neither.

q6 Which other brands have you had.

q7 How satisfied are you w/ your purchase very + thru very -

q8 How often used - everyday thru every few months

q9 How many pics do you take at once: less than 10 thru 200+

q10 what subjects do you shoot. large broad selection, pick one or all

q11 Typical locations you shoot at. large broad selection, pick one or all

q 12
q12l.jpg
q 13
q13l.jpg
continued next post....
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

survey continued.

q14
q14l.jpg
q15
q15l.jpg
q16 how satisfied are you with: grip, menu, weight, operational ease, size, overall.

q17
q17l.jpg
qs 18 - 24 live view: do you use it. like it, how often and what do you use it for.

qs 25 - 29 Lenses: how many do you own on CZ, Sony G, non-G, M/KM G, M/KM non-g, others.
which do you regularly use
which types do you own - wide, tele,, macro, etc.
do you own the kit lens
rate it's: finish, picture quality, ease of use, size/weight, overall.

continued next post....
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

the last of the survey.

q30 note the lack of an "I already own that" option.
q30l.jpg

qs 31 - 33 manuals: do you carry them with you, how often do you read them, long list of ways to make them better, including putting them on the LCD.

q34 have there been times you couldn't take pics as expected

q35 what kind of problems have you had: OOf, slow AF, exposure, etc.

qs 36 - 37 do you adjust pics after taking, what do you adjust: WB, noise, d-range, color, exposure, etc.

qs 38 - 39 do you shoot RAW. Why.

All questions after that are trying to define you for marketing segment: kids/ages/income, etc.

I hope this gives you all an idea of what Sony is trying to do, and a clue to future (possible) areas of development.

Dusty
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Thanks for all this info Dusty. It's an interesting depth of questioning and a nightmare for any report compiler or statistician/analyst to handle!

David
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Thanks for all this info Dusty. It's an interesting depth of questioning and a nightmare for any report compiler or statistician/analyst to handle!

David
Are you kidding? A program does it anyway, but what an opportunity for data-mining! Woo hoo! I had about 22 hours of statistics and statistics-based classes in pursuit of my Psych degree. It looks like a good comprehensive survey...almost exhaustive even in the check-box lists!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --