Great Advertisement for the Sony A900

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Great Advertisement for the Sony A900

Unread post by Javelin »

he's got some amazing shots there but some of them are funny. what sport could that be? there ralley cars ATVs helicopters and motorcycles. all mixed in with pedestrians and then you come across 2 pictures in a row where all the men are in fetal positions holding their ... man bits :/ looked like fun untill I got tot hat part....
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Very nice indeed. Thanks for posting Don.
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

Sonolta wrote:A very nice a900 piece done by Jacek Bonecki.

http://www.swiatobrazu.pl/sony_dslr_a90 ... dakar.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Sonolta
Yep, great, I read it ... well sort of :lol:

Cheers, Bob.
marktuma
Initiate

Unread post by marktuma »

Great link, and translate.google.com does an ok job of giving it in English so you can get a feel for what he's saying.
caporip
Grand Caliph

Unread post by caporip »

excellent series of shots I didnt translate the article but did it say how the a900 (and the 24-70) stood up the punishment it looks like it received?
Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you....
My Flickr site:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rb56/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
marktuma
Initiate

Unread post by marktuma »

It's not 100% clear as some words don't translate, but I think he says it took it all and kept going. He cleaned the outside with compressed air, and cleaned the sensor, but it kept going. I think he says he was changing lens outdoors, so some dust getting in is not surprising!
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

It would seem Sony intends to "under promise and over deliver" when it comes to weather-proofing their up-market cameras.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Hawk
Oligarch

Unread post by Hawk »

My english isn't good yet polish is my native language. So if you're interested in translating something from this article let me know. I'll do my best to at least give you idea what it means in polish.
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

Hawk wrote:My english isn't good yet polish is my native language. So if you're interested in translating something from this article let me know. I'll do my best to at least give you idea what it means in polish.
That would be great Hawk, no need to cover the rally :D but if there is anything interesting about the camera, that would be most welcome!

Cheers, Bob.
Hawk
Oligarch

Unread post by Hawk »

Here we go. Forgive me typos and grammar or any other errors. I was too lazy to read my post again and correct them. I just pressed "Submit" :)

Camera had it first test during golf tournament in Spain. Author was using it unprotected in heavy rain for three days.

The real test was Dakar rally. Usually it was like that: you see subject, step on breaks, take photo and keep driving. Many photos were taken through cars window. There was simply no time to put camera in bag so it was sometimes flying all over the car along with bottles of water.

Daily distance was usually between 500 or 800 km so sand was almost everywhere, even under lens caps. It was common to step out of car into cloud of sand to take photo of cars passing by. And those were normal conditions in which a900 usually worked. Author wasn't using any kind of camera protectors, not even bags. Camera was working normally. None of buttons or knobs had any problem. Nothing has lagged or hung.

Sensor and focusing screen were a different story. Author was changing lenses when sand or dirt was still flying in air. These elements just had to collect dirt no matter what. Because of that author has carefully protected huge blower and was using it in hotel rooms to clean camera inside. According to his notes a900 LCD display is more what is needed to see if dirt appears on images. Using external computer/display isn't required.

Only once camera displayed an error. It was about... and sorry but here I'm not sure what is english term for this, literally it is aperture lifter or pusher. After detaching lens and pushing it with finger problem was gone.

Camera was used in smoke, with ash in air and very high temperatures when lots of cossets were being baked for barbecue for over thousand people. While author was shooting in this conditions quite heavy rain appeared. Camera was covered with some mud like thing in few minutes. It was feeling like having camera glued to hands. Author kept shooting. Nothing unusal yet most of pro photographers hid in resteurant tent.

Another adventure with humidity took place in Vina del Mar near Valparaiso, Chile. Author had one day off and went to beach with surrealistic pier and huge rusted crane. While shooting from underneath of pier he was washed by wave and dropped his camera. a900 landed on sand and in water. Owner was stiffened as he thought the camera went dead. He took it away with tears in eyes and started cleaning and drying. After 30 minutes he was shooting again - water and salt didn't make it inside camera or lens.

Camera wasn't also affected by range of temperatures it was exposed to. Usually there was around 40 degrees celsius during noon and even more inside car. On the other hand temperature at >4000m above sea level was below 0 degrees celsius. LCD wasn't affected too giving great display all the time. Also batteries weren't discharging at faster rate.

Once again author mentions that he uses camera without any protections and doesn't care if it bumps around. Camera was flying from rear to front seats or fell on floor while in car. It was common thing there and those were conditions in which a900 was used... and it survived. Camera body gained just two scratches and was fully functionall after Dakar, and thats how pro camera should be made - solid, resistant. Same for lenses (and Zeiss ones had proven they're hard despite being criticised on the net for not having good sealings).

To protect his lenses author have chosen zeiss polarizers with T* coatings yet he thinks that when lens is flying around in car caps are way better protection. He was amazed how good his zeiss glass were looking and working after Dakar.

Final note says that author doesn't want to favour a900. Other photographers were using various brands in same conditions and they also made it through alive and working. He chosen a900 because he was using old Minoltas in previous editions of Dakar rally.

There is also a word on AF speed. Shots were sharp even when car was approaching with speed near 200 km/h.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Many thanks Hawk! It reads fine, though I do not know what a cosset is...

Frightening story, maybe exaggerated a bit. Just be sure not to buy his secondhand kit on eBay!

David
Hawk
Oligarch

Unread post by Hawk »

According to online dictionary that I used for few terms: cosset - male sheep or young sheep.

And yes, we should avoid author of this story on eBay selling his lenses :)