A380 330 230 details on Sony sites

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
alexramos7
Initiate

Re: A380 330 230 details on Sony sites

Unread post by alexramos7 »

What about OVF on a330/a380??
Do them have 0.74X or more??

The integrated flash is taller than 200/300/350...

Here the first test and comparation between the actual kit 18-70 and the new 18-55...

http://artaphot.ch/index.php?option=com ... &Itemid=43
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

That's interesting. It would be Sony Switzerland who make a decision to allow someone to use the camera - my friend Mr Hernquist and his colleagues, I think, who have a very different attitude to such things as user group magazines! Contrast that with the British operation. I emailed Paul Genge over a week ago, out of courtesy, to ask whether there would be a press launch and to tell him we had some details of the cameras. No reply. Mind you, Paul's last comment on this relationship was simple enough - they don't tell me anything because if they did, I would be under an NDA. Since I seem to be able to find out anyway, I am better off without being told!

Could mean they actually don't mind the advance publicity - photoclubalpha is more value to Sony UK as an 'outsider' than we would be with an NDA preventing everything from being published.

David
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

well DPR has the release and Carl has a preview on his site.

The new flash will work as a controller for the others. They didn't say about how functional it is as far as zomes and groups though.

No MLU <--- Poor Barry, hes gonna need a paper bag the breath into.
no Spot AEL either.

I guess Sony does feel these are advanced features.

Slower shot to shot.

we already know about SD cards and smaller battery.

the 30mm seems to be missing in action though. and is it me or do none of the new lenses have hoods?

Carl said the bodies aren't bad to hold onto so he didn't pan the grip , he was worried about it before.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Javelin, these cameras are not for me, and I wouldn't even look at one as a back up being honest.
I can see the desire to make things simple, but I remain convinced the dumbed down controls etc, will hinder in the long term, more than help. Some of the controls look frankly awful, esp exp compensation, an empty top plate..no SSS switch, small grip. represent a significant downgrade in handling
Maybe they will sell ok, waiting for the uk prices, though they won't be very competitive with the initial release prices. Also features wise, they are at the bottom of the pile..if newbie users wants them, they won't appeal to those looking for the best bang per buck. Battery gets a downgrade too..I cannot see a remote release socket either, really... sony don't know how to compete in the market.

The only good things I see are a higher raise pop up flash, at least sony saw the logic in having SD and MS..
New flash looks ok, I am sure A900 users will be happy for use as a wireless trigger, lack of AF assist light is absurd though.

I don't think it's going to work being honest, I think the new buyer is looking for something better. Small and lighter is fine, that alone won't sell a camera.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Sony UK says the flash can be used as a wireless trigger (they don't say much about this though - not even mentioning the compatible remote guns). Also, the card slots are in the camera side not the base, which is good - but SD and MS are not parallel, they have a switch between the two, so so simultaneous or sequential recording. And the fps speed is dropped to 2.5fps across the board, no 3fps any more even for the 230 and 330.

Some have said the 'down' position of the flash looks ideal for macro but it appears this position switches the flash off - the on-off switch is the swivel action, raise it and it turns on. So that idea is a red herring.

David
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

David Kilpatrick wrote:SD and MS are not parallel, they have a switch between the two, so so simultaneous or sequential recording. And the fps speed is dropped to 2.5fps across the board
Don't worry, at 2.5 fps you'll have time to flip that switch back and forth to record on each card! :lol:
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
kysham
Heirophant

Unread post by kysham »

Hmm... any news if there is any vertical grip made for these new alpha bodies? I don't see it in the lineup of new accessories so far....

The new flash can trigger remote flashes wirelessly but can it be triggered remotely itself (meaning, can it be used wirelessly with the existing wireless system). Hang on.... I hope it doesn't mean that the pop-up flashes on these new bodies are not capable of triggering the external flashes and will require the purchase of the new flash to do so.... that will be a bad move.... Any news on that front?

On the other hand... the new lenses with SAM looks interesting..... :wink:
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The pop-up flashes are reduced in power from GN 12 (old models) to GN 10 which no doubt helps with the battery economy (500 shots per charge even for the A380). If the pop-up also does not act as an AF illuminator, and does not act as a controller, the power consumption may be less for those reasons. There is no sign of a vertical grip, the card slots are in the left side when I thought originally they might be in the base of the camera, so that leaves the option open.

I feel that a vertical grip would negate the appeal of these cameras. I can see exactly where they are aiming - Olympus E-4xx and Pentax Km, Canon 1000D size (450g body weight). I think they will be displayed separately in Sony Family showcases along with the coloured handstrap, handbag, etc. I have one daughter and one daughter is enough to educate me about what is wanted in a DSLR! She uses an A350, but spent a long time choosing the right bag (a Lowepro D-Res top loader) for minimal size and acceptable style. Otherwise, she just would not carry the camera to work or when out and about.

Despite negative comments about the bodies, I think they look very clean and stylish with a specially nice surface finish. Also, having used the current Canon and Nikon entry level models I do not believe the Sony A2/3 series suffers from poor high ISO noise in comparison - even the original A200-350 range. Canon's 10 and 12 megapixel entry level models are limited to ISO 1600 for very good reasons, and don't even attempt the 3200 which these all offer. Nikon is more adventurous but not the 'miles better' which is so often repeated. I have a Canon 400D (same performance as the 40D) 10 megapixel and there is no way EVER you would want this instead of an old A350 - I reckon the A380 will be better not worse. And the Canon 450D while rather nicer in colour than the 400D is still well behind the A350 for 'success rate' over a range of shooting conditions and lighting.

We need to know whether these cameras are compatible with the A700/900 remote control, whether there will be a battery grip, whether the onboard flash is a wireless controller or not. We already know they have spot metering, custom WB setting, improved DRO, and at least one innovation - self timer which will fire a burst of 3 or 5 frames continuous, to allow various expressions/blink-avoiding capture. They may also have a new AF module as the screen markings are different (there are no longer angled corner markings).

David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

OK, built-in flash does not do wireless - found that in the specs. And the cameras work with the remote supplied for the A700/900 (not apparently supplied with these though).

It does do AF illuminator.

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Can it be used to fire the other flashes? and what about the more advanced wireless controls
bfitzgerald

Well removing wireless via on-board, was the one feature that if it was gone from the A200..would have been a chop too far.
I know the sony fans are going to say..but "the new user won't be doing wireless flash". Cough, the new user won't be using ASM modes either probably. Let's rip them out too ;-)
Pure Nikon copy cat, I don't deny I do moan, but surely this is exactly the wrong direction to head in. Worst of all, had sony unveiled an A500 (cut down A700, but with most of the features), they could have avoided much of the angst and critical responses from many on these forums.
I think the market for SLR's is a male dominated one, and these cameras just are not going to appeal to that buyer. They are old and stale in a very competitive market, all that has changed is the look, it's nowhere near enough.

And for my last super rant.
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/ne ... 82748.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The Alpha 230 will cost £530; The Alpha 330 will carry a £610 pricetag; while the Alpha 380 will make its UK debut costing £720."

"Sony's has also confirmed that its new 50mm f/1.8 lens will cost £160 and the HVL-F20AM flash unit will go on sale for £150"

Erm a £530 model to replace a £250 one! And the flashgun £150..well the 42 costs near that! Buy 2 s/h 36 units for the same!
And the "Pièce de résistance" The not that cheap 50mm f1.8DT £160!! Who's brain died at Sony HQ??? How about £90 for the lens, and £99 for the flash??
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Reference bfitzgerald above and reference to an A500 to reduce the "angst". I posted a comment last Saturday incorporating this statement:
I do believe that Sony will release a successor to the A700. I cannot envisage them leaving a gaping hole between the 2/300 series and the A900. I hope for an upgrade incorporating a 15-17 Mp CMOS sensor to beat the Canon 50D hands down on IQ higher ISO performance. If Sony deliver that I shall pull up my wallet.
I still believe that Sony will come up with a successor to the A700. It may be later in the year. They have shown with this release that they intend to stay in the race. You can argue about their motives and whether they have brought out the right cameras. Time will show. I firmly believe that this continued commitment will spill over into an A730 or whatever they are going to call it. I hope for a spec. that is as good as the A700 but with a new APS-C sensor containing more pixels and better high ISO performance. That will be when I shall pull out my wallet. Frankly I do not personnally see a good reason for coming up with a model between the A380 and a successor to the A700. Is there a case for a FF model below the A900? I really do not think so unless Sony releases a whole new set of lenses for sports shooters and invest vast amounts of money into backing the professional sports and events photographers. I think that is a long way off. I see Sony consolidating in the beginners market as they have just done; providing the enthusiasts with an A700 upgrade and releasing more lenses and accessories in the medium term. That will cover beginners, enthusiasts and semi professionals. I may be totally wrong but that's life for the "forecaster".
BTW I also stated that if the new A380 has better higher ISO performance than my A350 then Sony should issue a firmware upgrade to the A350 along the lines of V.4 for my A700.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

bfitzgerald wrote:
And for my last super rant.
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/ne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 82748.html

"The Alpha 230 will cost £530; The Alpha 330 will carry a £610 pricetag; while the Alpha 380 will make its UK debut costing £720."

"Sony's has also confirmed that its new 50mm f/1.8 lens will cost £160 and the HVL-F20AM flash unit will go on sale for £150"

Erm a £530 model to replace a £250 one! And the flashgun £150..well the 42 costs near that! Buy 2 s/h 36 units for the same!
And the "Pièce de résistance" The not that cheap 50mm f1.8DT £160!! Who's brain died at Sony HQ??? How about £90 for the lens, and £99 for the flash??
I agree these prices are crazy. Let's wait and see what the street prices are going to be. In any event I am not going to buy any of this although I might consider the 50 mm macro if the street price is reasonable and the lens gets a good review.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote: I think the market for SLR's is a male dominated one, and these cameras just are not going to appeal to that buyer. They are old and stale in a very competitive market, all that has changed is the look, it's nowhere near enough.
Barry,
I think you got THE answer: Sony needs to expand his user base, if males already choose their champ (and 50% went for Canon), let's get the girls -not a bad idea after all!

About the prices, the 50mm 1.8 will cost about 150 US$, and that's similar to what an old Nikon or Canon 50mm 1.8 cost. They must give the new flash for free to A900 owners...

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

Street prices may well be "a bit" less than the AP quoted ones. However, the fact remains..Sony are replacing the very cheap and (I hear well selling) A200 with something that is going to be x2 the price. The LV models are priced above the A700, the 50mm is going to hit the stores above the Nikon (£110 odd) and Canon (£85 odd) prices. And the flash is surely only going to appeal to A900 users looking for a cheap wireless controller.

The words "big mistake" spring to mind. Sony should have just kept the older ones selling at better prices..and worked on a few new things. Sales are going to bomb in the UK, unless they get some pretty hefty price cuts in, and fast.