A380 330 230 details on Sony sites

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: A380 330 230 details on Sony sites

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I'm starting to wonder if these bodies even have an AF drive, the write up by Sony goes on about the new lenses being specially developed for these new cameras, and that they have a SAM (Smooth Autofocus Motor) built into them, possibly including the new so called portrait DT 50mm f1.8, the Macro DT 30mm f2.8 (who needs a 30mm macro? a 75mm might have been of more use), as well as the DT 18-55 f3.5-5.6 and the DT 55-200 f4-5.6 hmmm
Also a new GN20 flash, that implies it doesn't zoom...ISO400 here we come.... :lol:
Greg
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

I'd say for now the A230 still has the AF motor, but the next generation (next year, A240) won't. I thinkt third-party suppliers got the message and will update their Sony lenses as they did for the Nikon A40. Anyway an electronic link should be easier to implement than a mechanical one!

This politic also leaves plenty of space for a two A700 replacements. One would be an improved A700 and one would be a stripped down A700. With the new stripped down models like A230 there might be people who want more (larger body, wireless build in, optional grip, MLU, AEL lock, better battery, but maybe only 3fps and a230K display) without needing something better than an A700.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Another small point. ISO in viewfinder, surely going to make things more useful for the end user.
Where is it then!

Sony, you don't really listen a lot do you!
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

And an Auto popup flash...selectable at least, for some modes. That A380 is almost 100g lighter than the A350, that's some serious diet they put the little blighter on. :)
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I have made some comparisons:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2009/05/1 ... 0-or-a380/

David
harveyzone
Oligarch

Unread post by harveyzone »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I have made some comparisons:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2009/05/1 ... 0-or-a380/

David
Hi David,

You have stated:
Probably in order to help the 950mAh battery provide 500 shots under standard test conditions (230 images in Live View mode, A380), the GN of the built-in flash has been dropped to just 10 (m/ISO 100) compared to 12 - and with this reduction in power, the ability to control wireless remote flash units has been lost. To do so, you must add a new compact HVL-F20AM flash unit.
There seems to be some debate as to whether this is correct, or just interpretation of badly worded Sony text. Have you had this confirmed 'from the horses mouth'?
--
Tom
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The specification sheets are quite clear on this - wireless support only with accessory flash. What they are not clear on is whether the HVL-F58AM can work as well.

David
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

It is ambiguous - I think they mean that you need to buy a wireless flash (i.e. it is not included).

The latest from both Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HVLF20AM-Dig ... B0029U0XF6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and a Polish poster on Dyxum http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic46718&get=last.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is that the new flash will only work as a wireless flash commander on the A900.

I also read that the new HVL-F20AM flash does not do wireless ratio - but so far nobody has said if it will be able to control old Minolta wireless flashes like my 3600HS.
David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

braeside wrote: The latest from both Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HVLF20AM-Dig ... B0029U0XF6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also read that the new HVL-F20AM flash does not do wireless ratio - but so far nobody has said if it will be able to control old Minolta wireless flashes like my 3600HS.
When I spoke with Mr Weir at the Photo Plus Expo, he mention a cheap controller for the A900 because they knew (this he didn't told me, but both of us understood the situation...) they some how screwed up the design of the A900 when they suprimed the on board flash.

I insist, they have to offer this little guy for free to all the A900 owners...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

They said the same when the A200 came out. What they mean is you have to have 1 accessory flash to have wireless. not that there has to be an accessory flash on the camera. This confused me when I was considering my A200.they've worded everything exactly the same way this time.
David Kilpatrick wrote:The specification sheets are quite clear on this - wireless support only with accessory flash

David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Thanks - I've corrected the website post. It looks as if the several different statements and the specification table are all misleading (they all imply that an accessory flash is needed for both HSS and wireless flash - well, it's obvious an accessory flash is needed as a remote, so that hardly needs mentioning). The Sony specification page for the flash you posted seems very definite is stating that the 20 can not be used as a wireless controller with anything except the 900, that means (by exclusion) the A230-380 onboard must be a wireless commander.

I found something odd about the A350 just now, you can set it to wireless flash when there is no remote flash around, and get a blank frame. In fact, you can leave it set to wireless flash in error and use a whole variety of modes some of which will show a normal brightness LV then give you a very badly underexposed result. I've never done this, but an inexperienced user messing with the controls and settings could end up being really confused, seeing the flash fire, seeing the preview, and getting a black frame. Maybe there are some changes in the interface/settings on the new model to prevent this happening.

David
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

To summarize,
hvl-20 can be used as

1. On shoe with direct and bounce in all Sony SLRs
2. On shoe flash trigger in A900 but no ratio control
3. Off shoe slave like all other flashes and can be triggered by pop-up flash of all Sony SLRs(except A900)
4. Off shoe slave and can be triggered by all other existing external flashes

And 3 new SLRs have wireless capability with their pop-up flashes.

Am I correct?

Thanks
Ayan
Sony A900, A77, SAL-1680Z, SAL-70200G, SAL-135F18Z, SAL-50F14, HVL-58AM
harveyzone
Oligarch

Unread post by harveyzone »

adakshi wrote:To summarize,
hvl-20 can be used as

3. Off shoe slave like all other flashes and can be triggered by pop-up flash of all Sony SLRs(except A900)
4. Off shoe slave and can be triggered by all other existing external flashes
I don't think it has wireless capability. I think it has to be used on camera, either as a flash or as a controller.
--
Tom
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

harveyzone wrote:
I don't think it has wireless capability. I think it has to be used on camera, either as a flash or as a controller.
Got it.

From BH Photovideo site on HVl-20

• TTL flash operates with select Sony cameras which provide control over auto-zoom, high-speed sync (HSS), power level switching, wireless flash, bounce flash, modelling flash, and multi-burst functions.

modelling flash, and multi-burst functions?

here is the link
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... l#features" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sony A900, A77, SAL-1680Z, SAL-70200G, SAL-135F18Z, SAL-50F14, HVL-58AM
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The wording on from sony could def be better! Let's assume they can do wireless.
For now..
Most interesting thing I have noted, is..that there is 0 buzz about, on big forums..from users of other brands, it's not even raising an eyebrow or any interest.
That's a rather worrying sign.
Still puzzled as to why this new flash is AF assist light less..and why we have a mult tier flash system for high and low end bodies. Add to unimpressive release prices, and not that cheap DT primes..it's a bit of an anti climax for most folks.