Warranty of Sony Cameras

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
brijanhub
Acolyte

Warranty of Sony Cameras

Unread post by brijanhub »

Has anyone had any experience oy buying a Sony camera or lens outside of the EEC, then having a problem during the Warranty period and being declined service. It used to be that major companies provided a World Wide Warranty but it now appears that Sony now restricts it to the 'Guarantee Area' Cannot seem to get a definitive answer from Sony.
Carlj
Heirophant

Re: Warranty of Sony Cameras

Unread post by Carlj »

Can't comment on the cameras, but they do have a region specific lockdown on their playstation range, even sueing importers....
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I think they may judge depending on circumstances. If you have moved residence from abroad to the EU, and brought a camera with you, they would be in the wrong to refuse your warranty. But I have been advised if you are resident here and buy via a grey import method, your warranty can't be registered in Europe and you would have to send the camera back to the country of purchase for repair.

David
brijanhub
Acolyte

Unread post by brijanhub »

I'm not talking about a gey import but a genuine Sony product. I wouldn't buy a Sony camera abroad as although it is cheaper in the US the ramifications of import duty & VAT when you bring it back into the country would ofset the Savings and although you might clear customs the first time you come back into the country there is no guarantee a subsequent re-entry may create a problem. A lens on the other hand is a little easier and is about £100 cheaper in the US but if the warranty is void then is it worth the risk :?:
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Personally I would say no. Buying a used lens via eBay is another matter, they can't easily get you for duty and it will be out of warranty. I've bought a few items that way.

David
Omega892
Oligarch

Unread post by Omega892 »

brijanhub wrote:...although you might clear customs the first time you come back into the country there is no guarantee a subsequent re-entry may create a problem.
You are darned right there.

I once missed, just grrrr, a train from Plymouth because of officious HM dockyard police wanting to see every purchase receipt for cameras and lenses that I had with me. I am sure this was a petty reaction to not finding any illicit tobacco or alcohol products in my luggage as it was not normally their remit as we had already cleared customs, HM Customs and Excise having come aboard before we went alongside, they using the whole of the upper hangar to deal with the entire ships company - officers excepted.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin