How about the 3D DSLR?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
DonSchap
Initiate

How about the 3D DSLR?

Unread post by DonSchap »

With the Billion-dollar Avatar-3D returns ... for 3D Immersion, how far away is an Alpha 3D single-lens DSLR?

Consider this SONY Development for example ...

Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: How about the 3D DSLR?

Unread post by Javelin »

media and electronics companies are breathing hard over 3D now. theres a lot of competition over technologies to make it happen. the move from NTSC to digital and HD is starting to be seen as a stopgap on the way to 3D in the home. the missing piece is still going to be how to deliver content. the internet remains too slow so far and theres still large gaps in the population that don't even have broadband yet.
gilroy
Acolyte

Unread post by gilroy »

I actually would like to start capturing content in 3D in a better fashion. I do it now very shabbily with a tripod that has some sidewards play on the head. I compose 2 images next to each other on a 3rd canvas I cross my eyes to view - which is terrible :| so I don't do it often.
The Fuji 3D cam is step forward, but anything using the A-mount would be awesome. Then I can at least photograph in 3D and hopefully someday the appropriate mechanisms will be in place for viewing and sharing.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

there are rigs to hold 2 bodies side by side for 3d. both home made ones and also bought ones.
Onthe STF over at cpreview these been a few stereo shooters over the years I see the pictures of their rigs are all gone but there was one with F707's one with 717's and the last one was a poster named marion with R1's

It looks like a lot of fun but there isn't a good way to display them.

When I was a child (maybe 4 yrs old) i had an eye damaged by a tree branch and was kept with covers on my eyes for 2 weeks I think. when they uncovered my eyes they made me do a bunch of tests I was pretty fasciated with one of the tests where they brought out a steel book like object (a few of them actually) and they turned out the lights and flipped open the book and a giant wireframe drawing of a house fly popped out of what seemed like backlit sides of the book. I was struck by how even the light was and surprized by the 3d fly and my instructions were to grab the wings of the fly which of course weren't really there. Never heard of or seen a test like it before.

the watershed will break open when there is a decent method to display the images properly. there is a Canadian company that is near where I work that has a plastic film to go over certain kinds of displays. (even hand held game displays, PSP I think) that will show a regular 2d image as it was intended but a 3D image on the same screen has the effect of depth. rather than the things on the screen jumping out at you it looks more like the things that are supposed to be farther away in the image jump back away from you. I'm told they have a line up at the door of companies trying to buy their technology. I repaired a laminator for them once a couple years ago. and run into them at lunchtime sometimes at the local eateries.. they showed me the game boy thing they had which could peel the plastic on and off to see the effect clearly. The idea is that it would work on LCD TVs if sold as an addon or the film could be integrated into the LCD itself.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Anybody watch the live video feed of Sony's press release today? Try a drinking game: take a swig every time anyone says 3D. You'll be seeing in 6D by the time the video is over.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --