Help on new Purchase

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Gazzbag
Acolyte

Help on new Purchase

Unread post by Gazzbag »

I hope there are some peeps out there who can help me make a decision :| I bought a C*n*n 400D a couple of months ago and being a complete novice to not only DSLR, but to photography in general. ISO, AE, F Stops, Shutter Speed and all the rest of the jargon left me so confused, I did not get the best from the camera. I know the picture is more to do with the person behind the camera, but the one thing I did notice was how soft the pictures where, on auto, with the kit lens, so completely fed up, I gave it back to the shop :cry: . Now, I have been looking around at other cameras, as I really do want to learn and build my knowledge of DSLR use. To try and combat the softness of the picture, I thought that the SSS on the Sony a200 would offer me reasonable sharpness on auto, and allow me to play with the manual settings and learn as I go. I have been and looked at the a200 which falls into my financial bracket, and just need a little advise. Is the a2oo a good beginners camera and will I be happy to use the auto and the preset menus on the like of sport, landscape and portrait? Thank you all in advance :wink:

Does anyone else have a a200 with graphics on a flicker account so I could take a peek!!!
stroberaver
Initiate

Re: Help on new Purchase

Unread post by stroberaver »

To be frank, if all your images were soft with a 400D then no camera will help you - you need to learn/understand more about the principles of photography, and what contributes to image clarity and sharpness. If you're coming from the position of being unthusiastic but unknowledgeable about the technical aspects of lenses and imaging, as I once was, I'd suggest any typical "DLSR handbook" style publication to give you some kind of basic grounding as to what is actually happening when you change settings on the camera.

Often on general tech/IT/non-photography forums you see people asking which camera to get and people keep saying "buy a DSLR!", "buy a Nikon D40, they're cheap!", even if the guy asking has no clue about photography. I look at it in a driving analogy - people generally don't buy a high performance sports car before they learn to drive. You learn the principles first, then choose a car (i.e. camera) that suits you, what you use it for, that you can afford and that takes your fancy.

I've not touched an A200, but it uses the sensor from the A100, and the A100 is one of (possibly the) sharpest entry-level DSLRs.
Gazzbag
Acolyte

Unread post by Gazzbag »

Well, been and done it. Got me a Sony a200 and kit lens. I will let you know how I get on with it but the couple of shots so far look quite good. I am looking forward to sticking with this camera and learning how to improve my photography. :D :D
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Congratulations Gazzbag. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dr. Harout

Congratulations Gazzbag. :D
Would you please specify which kit lens? Is it the 18-70?

Flickr
stroberaver
Initiate

Unread post by stroberaver »

Well as far as DSLR's go, you made the right decision. ;)

Now don't just leave it in auto all the time - take some time to read up on the different settings and understand what they do, and don't be afraid to experiment! :D

@ Dr Harout - I may be wrong, but thought the A200 only comes with the 18-70, it doesn't have any other kit lens options.
Dr. Harout

ooops :oops: I forgot.

Flickr
Gazzbag
Acolyte

Unread post by Gazzbag »

Well I have been playing with the a200 and I have to say I really like it. The big difference is the built in steadyshot. Very little softness and I have already started to grow with the camera. As I get my confidence back, then I will also begin to get to grips with the other setting, and experiment a little. Anyway, I am glad I got the Sony and would recommend it to anyone else. :wink: