buying new dslr, sony (a200k) help with decision please

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
pic_ideas

buying new dslr, sony (a200k) help with decision please

Unread post by pic_ideas »

i started with fuji s9600 slr ,look a like but feel its resticting me, also feel embarrased at group shoots when every one else has slr camara's, aint got much money so the sony 200 is very apealling as all reviews bar one, (which got slated by sony owners for not being a fair review). Now my problem i have seen on reviews, is that they say the sony lenses let this brilliant camara down, so which lenses should i get to replace them with, who makes the better sharper lenses for this camara which will improve the camara, now i know you will say carl ziese lenses but need a loan for them, so not just yet, so other than them what should i go for or are the sony ones actually ok, im a hobbiest doing mainly glamour and portrait, so who can help out which make and lenses will best suit my needs and the camara
andy

thanks to any one who can help
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: buying new dslr, sony (a200k) help with decision please

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Carl Zeiss lenses are brilliant, yes, but whoever said that Sony/Minolta lenses ruin pictures has probably said it on April 1st.
I had the kit lens 18-70, which compared to similar kit lenses of other manufacturers was way better. I have now another kit lens (if we might call it so) the 16-105 which performs quite well (we are talking about image quality). As for my SAL50M28 (the Sony 50/2.8 Macro) that is a superb lens. I had Micro Nikkor 60/2.8 AF (for Nikon, of course) and a Sigma 50/2.8 Macro DG EX (alpha mount) and compared to these the Sony is a lot better from Sigma and better from the Nikkor (IMHO) [to be objective, my opinion is based upon skin photography]. Most Sony lenses are said to be rebadged Minolta lenses with better coating, so no way to let any camera down. I might complain of the prices but not image quality. :roll:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
pic_ideas

Unread post by pic_ideas »

thanks mate, i have heard that the 16-105 lens is better than the one that comes with, thanks for imput
andy
Carlj
Heirophant

Unread post by Carlj »

The reviewers are probably pointing to the kit lens. And they have, many times, pointed towards the kit lens of canon and nikon (especially the canon!).

Kit lens is made to a price, obviously, but not awful by a long way. See below for kit lens and A200 image.

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

My point exactly. I made a lot of pictures while on holidays in Lebanon. Photos were decent. And all shot with SAL1870.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Glyn R
Initiate

Unread post by Glyn R »

I have a kit lens with my A350. I planned to get rid of it almost a soon as I got the camera. The lens is very much better than the reviews and forums would have you believe. It is fine at mid range, mid apertures and in the centre. Most of my images are like this so it is less of a problem than I thought. Other lenses like the 16-105 and 16-80 are visibly better though. I am told that the A350 highlights the deficencies in this lens because of the high resolution. Perhaps it is not an issue on 10mp. :D
The older I get the better I used to be.