Sony alpha A55

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Sony alpha A55

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yep there's an i-shoe as well, so that means system flashes will presumably work on it, hmm not sure about all those functions ISO etc being on the rear controller. It has a seperate AEL button so that's good, wonder how many of the functions remain on it. And yeah it does look like a DOFP button, interesting, so far. I agree KB the VF access/usability looks much much improved.
Greg
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

it's an evf? why does it seem to have a penta mirror housing?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It seems to have a prism because the front of prism houses the AF array, which receives an image from the pellicle mirror, slightly in front of where a focusing screen would be as the mirror is not at 45 degrees but aims the image forward a touch. In the rest of the space is the EVF, which is relatively large (most EVFs are tiny chips with big magnifiers). I think that Sony mean it will give the largest apparent size, after the A900/850. It will show 100% of the image - though there was a rumour it only showed 95% which seems unfounded - at 1.1X magnification. The 'view' will therefore look almost twice the linear size, and four times the area, of the A350 etc.

David
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

There's only one thing I don't understand about those cams. That is why people attribute them as 'pellicle mirror' design. They are not. The mirror is semitransparent for sure, but it absolutely needs not to be thin as 'pellicle' suggests.
After all, the mirror flaps as a normal SLR mirror while taking normal stills; and while taking videos staying down, the thickness is no problem due to lower resolution needed...

So that's just a thick strong semitransparent mirror, that's it.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

We will have to see. There are issues with the fragility of traditional mylar (ok, it is strong for its thickness) pellicle mirrors, and the rigidity of such a mirror in a moving frame. They may use semi-silvered glass but the real issue is not thickness, it's how well the glass can be coated to prevent a very sharp internal reflection which might be able to cause interference.

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I forgot these were supposed to be the pellicle mirror cameras (or rather translucent mirror cameras. I wonder though if it is a thick mirror how they are going to eliminate the double image that will result from light also hitting the rear panel on a thick mirror and looking through it any anything other than right angles.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Javelin wrote:I wonder though if it is a thick mirror how they are going to eliminate the double image that will result from light also hitting the rear panel on a thick mirror and looking through it any anything other than right angles.
Sorry for the pun, but have you ever heard of lens coatings and their purpose? ;)
dynax800si
Heirophant

Unread post by dynax800si »

This new cameras are really small, so I hope they have built in AF motor :?

Higher class camera with bigger body size of this type will be something very interesting.

I like the cameras, especially the display. So kudos to Sony from me! :D
αlphαforum.net
α-mount forum Bulgaria.
agorabasta
Viceroy

David Kilpatrick wrote:They may use semi-silvered glass but the real issue is not thickness, it's how well the glass can be coated to prevent a very sharp internal reflection which might be able to cause interference.
Actually, there's no need to wait for a33/55 to arrive to see if that's possible.

Take a good quality filter with modern coatings, place it over a piece of shiny metal having added a few tiny dark objects in between and take a macro shot of such a target from an oblique angle.

Chances are, you won't be getting any reflections registered if the filter coatings are good enough...
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

KevinBarrett wrote: EDIT: Nevermind, pictures! Look at the clearance of that EVF from the flip screen! Woohoo!
It's an EVF, they have to do those right so they can "justify" ending OVF.

Walt
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Oo goody, I get it, using battery power too run an EVF is much better than just using available light for free.
Greg
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Compared to an NEX, you're powering a much smaller screen, plus getting that viewfinder isolation experience (with the same battery?). different cameras for different folks--I think I like this latest generation of cameras very much--the a55 looks more tempting than the a580, for sure.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
dynax800si
Heirophant

Unread post by dynax800si »

I have the strange feeling that these models will be the best selling Sony cameras. :mrgreen:
αlphαforum.net
α-mount forum Bulgaria.
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

Greg Beetham wrote:Walt
He's everywhere he's everywhere, :lol: tracking down every potentially disparaging comment, however minor they may be....Walt, you better repent...I think I'm in the clear..for the moment.
There are certain people that follow me around constantly, like the one making that comment. They hunt for negative things to say about me. And if they can't find any they just make up lies about me.

Most certainly such cyberabusers do not represent me or what I'm thinking.

Why should I give in to such blatant attempts at censoring me? For that is exactly what it is.

Walt
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Why should I give in to such blatant attempts at censoring me? For that is exactly what it is.
Walt
I do not think that anyone is trying to censor Walt or anyone else. I much prefer rational discussion based on facts. There is no point in "bashing" Sony and a comment such as this one
It's an EVF, they have to do those right so they can "justify" ending OVF.
Walt
is not rational in my opinion in view of the fact that there may be two cameras with OVFs (A560 and 580) released at the same time. The EVF in the A33/55 serve one purpose in these cameras as designed and OVFs are more rational solutions in the more traditional A500 series updates. There is no evidence at present to suggest that Sony are preparing to drop OVF in DLSRs.
What I would say is that the possible introduction of DOF in all these new cameras is an indication that Sony are open to suggestions. It will be interesting to see if P mode has had A/S shift re-introduced in the A560/580 models.
I am unhappy that the Control Dial is still in the same forward position. It is akward on the A550, but I realise Sony had to move the on/off switch to make space for 3" viewer screen without increasing body size. I do not like the position of AEL. It is too close to the body edge and should have been switched to the +/- button position. The A350 position was more confortable. These are just my comments based on usage experience. Having said that I am impressed with the Sony 14Mp CMOS sensor in the A550 and really only have the same complaint as DK that the blue sky appears a little bit "grainy" at 100%. Let's wait and see how these new cameras perform in the real world. Having said all that I still agree with Walt that introducing "crippled" A mode in the FF cameras was a silly move by Sony. I do hopoe that when the firmware update finally sees the light this mode will be re-introduced.