SLT a55

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: SLT a55

Unread post by agorabasta »

Nothing to explain, same happens with the Nex. If there were no IR attenuation, the brightness of that 'purple' source would appear much higher.
Armen Gharib
Oligarch

Unread post by Armen Gharib »

In case of Nex the sensor is located directly behind the lens and the IR blocking coating can also be not ideal in purpose.
What about the brightness.. if it sense the IR then it sense and there is some reason that it sense and sony probably uses that part of spectrum to achieve better images. I tried with my a-550 and no sign of any lighting in the life view mode.. Again IR detection can be either in favor or against to obtain better images. It is related to many many technological and other parameters I think..
Anyway we will make some experiments to clarify this phenomena more clearly:)
Regards
Armen
A550, Minolta 50/2.8Mc, Minolta 70-210/4, SAM 18-55, SAL75-300, Minolta 50/2.7, Samyang 14/2.8
http://ag.photoblogs.am/index.php?x=browse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
agorabasta
Viceroy

You should push the IR control button that makes it emit a long 'permanent' signal, as it is with the arrow buttons on the Sony IR remote. Most other controller buttons being pressed just cause it to emit a short burst of IR light.
All cameras are more or less sensitive to IR. That's normal. The falloff at low-freq simply cannot be as steep as it is at the UV part of spectrum.
Armen Gharib
Oligarch

Unread post by Armen Gharib »

Yes, really the ordinary controllers usually emit discrete but as you told pressing the button longer will demonstrate the result.
I took of hot mirrors for many times and measured the transmittance and I should say that they transmit only a few percents of IR but still I couldn't detect any lighting from IR LED's for no of my cameras I had. Only in case of long exposures these effects rise.
Anyway putting an IR filter on a-55 and observing the exposure value will tell a few things and clarify many things.
A550, Minolta 50/2.8Mc, Minolta 70-210/4, SAM 18-55, SAL75-300, Minolta 50/2.7, Samyang 14/2.8
http://ag.photoblogs.am/index.php?x=browse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

OK. I'll do that test. I'll take a shot both with a700 & a55, same lens + same IR filter.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
agorabasta
Viceroy

Like I said, there's not much to explore here. My A700 shows exactly the same reaction as my Nex, if used with the same lens.
Most of difference really is with the lenses/filters. The cameras, especially coming from the same manufacturer, are about the same to IR.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

POPPhotography

Unread post by pakodominguez »

OK, we are in trouble again: Popular Photography just named the A55 camera of the year 2010, it is like "everybody at the office like it, specially the rare non photog here"
When they did the same with the A100 I think it was more a public thanks to Sony for taking over Minolta and "save the A-mount". Now Sony really brought something that generate enthusiasm in the industry. Lets see how the public answer to the call...
:-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
redsim74
Oligarch

Re: POPPhotography

Unread post by redsim74 »

pakodominguez wrote:Lets see how the public answer to the call...
:-)
Equal amounts of glorification and derision, no doubt. :D
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tom power 53
Heirophant

Re: SLT a55 - Pop Photo Camera of the year

Unread post by tom power 53 »

Interesting how people are warming up to this camera. It really is a break through for the average DSLR user that would like to occasionally take video also.

Only the "technicians" don't love this camera. Multiple big positives versus a few minor negatives for the average user.

What is the saying "can't please all the people all the time". Applies perfectly to the A55. Perfect example of this is the AlphaMountWorld site which could not recommend the A33 to any buyer. Ha Ha - talk about not being able to see the forest because of the trees.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: SLT a55 - Pop Photo Camera of the year

tom power 53 wrote:Only the "technicians" don't love this camera. Multiple big positives versus a few minor negatives for the average user.
I'm not interested on the SLT cameras because a) I need a OVF for work and only A7xx or A900/A850 fulfill that need, or b) I want a really small high IQ camera that I can have with me all the time, and the NEX fulfill that need.

But I think the SLT is a smart solution and if I were ready for upgrade my Dimage A2 or Sony R717-like camera. And I think it is a smart choice for travel photography (still and motion)
tom power 53 wrote: What is the saying "can't please all the people all the time". Applies perfectly to the A55. Perfect example of this is the AlphaMountWorld site which could not recommend the A33 to any buyer. Ha Ha - talk about not being able to see the forest because of the trees.
Carl's website? well, I think he realize long time ago that he will never have the free camera. He also realized too late that Sony (Minolta either, BTW) doesn't really listen to the "outsiders" and he took it personally... Whatever.
Pako
------------
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I'm not sure it's "technicians" who are not crazy about the A55 it doesn't really rock my boat a lot either (I'm by no means saying it's poor just not for me) Pop photo...well they have a bit of a patchy history with reviews and looking at their front page and article on the A55 they seemed to my eyes at least doing a semi advert for the camera. They've done this before with past cameras too so it's by no means a Sony love affair only.

They said the same thing about the G1 I believe and that also got camera of the year. I think they're into "new tech" so if you hit that you're on a roll, if not then kiss goodbye to the badge from that crowd.

I can't speak for Carl but I will say this..he was much more upbeat and positive about Sony even at a time when I was pretty much writing them off. There is no agenda with Carl other than he likes good products, well thought out handling and design. I'm not even slightly surprised he didn't dig the NEX models or the A550 and SLT A33 either. A580 he seems to like more than I expected..so there isn't anything iffy going on there, and we've disagreed on things in the past too.

I believe it was DK who first hinted at Sony being "polite" but something along the lines of "they don't really take it in" Can't remember the exact phrase used. I've never had any contact with anyone in that company so it's not for me to say.
I have with Ricoh as they provided a loaner unit for review and I made some points directly to the company on that. I felt they were both interested and took points made into consideration and specifically mentioned that such feedback was "essential for future products"
tom power 53
Heirophant

Unread post by tom power 53 »

Well Barry not sure what point you are trying to make. Yes Pop Photo likes new technology - as why would they not? Isn't that how things move forward?

The idea is that the camera of the year is for all DSLR users not just advanced amateurs that are used to doing things a certain way. Clearly there is little difference for the average user among all the traditional high end cameras - to name one of them camera of the year would just be a fight about minor differences in high ISO, JPEG output. FPS etc.

A55 presents new features and capabilities not that these necessarily fit well for people set in their way of doing things - I mean how many flower macros can you take until you tire of the minor differences from a 7D, K5, A700 or D300?

Carl just flat out missed the boat on this one. He is now slowly winding back to the Sony camp via the A580 which is also a superior camera in many ways. He knows he goofed up on the no A33 recommendation for anyone but was just not happy with Sony at the time and let that get in the way of his review. Oh well he is not the first person to go down that road and won't be the last.

Oh by the way if Sony "took in" many of the AA suggestions they would have never made the 2010 camera of the year - it is all wrong to many of these AA's (until they end up buying one or it's successor).
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I think the point regarding pop photo is like many publications (printed or on-line) you have to take it as a bit of fun and not that seriously. I certainly would not suggest anyone made a buying choice reading a pop photo review and that applies to other mags as well really very few good review ones out there.

Sony are clearly trying to find a direction and a jump start on rivals by creating their own new SLT type cameras offering something for a different type of buyer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that approach, but it does indicate to me they have not been as successful in the DSLR strategy as they might have hoped. But it extends beyond that even into compacts with the company unable to even attempt to offer a product that appeals to enthusiasts (G12, S95, LX-3/5 etc etc) They to my mind are not interested in that type of buyer and it makes sense to stay away from the DSLR market too if that's the plan.

As for the not so positive reviews on AMW (A550, A33 etc) I think anyone who does a review (and it does take quite a lot of time and effort) has to give their honest view good and bad. No point glossing over bits or pulling punches. I think he presented his pros and cons in a logical manner and they seem valid to me. Just because you review the A33 does not mean it's great and you love it..you can't really do a review unless you have an opinion or else you end up with a Camera labs/Steve's digicams type article almost everything is great so what's the point!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Has anyone read the review? It's wrong in many details. For example, it states that the A55 can not autofocus during 10 fps shooting and that this is only available for JPEGs. In fact, it can autofocus during 10fps shooting simply by setting continuous AF (it locks on the first frame only if you select AF-S, AF-A is greyed out) and it can shoot RAW or even RAW+JPEG at 10 fps.

They fail to notice that the Translucent mirror is designed as a user replaceable part, when commenting that pellicle mirrors in the past tended to darken (they tarnished). The SLT mirror can be replaced in seconds and appears to be made as a part intended for easy replacement. Pellicle mirrors in Canon cameras were a factory refit job.

David