Alpha 580 review is now up

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Re: Alpha 580 review is now up

Unread post by Mark K »

David:
I was trying to register but my first browser Chrome did not do well and I can only pay using my credit card..
gpr2020
Acolyte

Unread post by gpr2020 »

pakodominguez wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:Here we go again so just blame me for everything ;-)

I might be cheap but I'm not that stupid, there are plenty of cost effective ways to host image files. It's up to people if they take advantage of that.
are you myopic also?
this is not about "free storage". Some people, like DK, make his living from photography: pictures are not free.

Barry Fitzgerald is a synonym for the word cheap. He wants everything at no cost. DK's reviews are well known and well regarded, when Barry Fitzgerald reviews(or bashing) have no impact in the photographic world but only in the inner circle of camera brand bashers. I think that DK is asking a fee and he deserves it for the hard work that he has done. If Barry think that he shouldn't pay as he claims, then he can do his own review of the a580 and share it with the rest of the world.
Neonsquare
Heirophant

Unread post by Neonsquare »

David,
I just ordered a year of subscription**. Your reviews were some of the most enjoyable photo-tech reads for me this year. As I'm myself earning an income by writing (who would have thought that, thinking of my suboptimal English skills? My German is better tough ;) ), I really can sympathise with you on how the free lunch mentality can be demotivating at times.

A merry christmas to you all,
Jochen Schmidt

**) I got the normal subscription because I was uncertain about the shipping costs to Germany. I remember those being insanely high. Furthermore I've a Sony PRS 650, buying more and more things in "e"-Formats.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Thanks for that A580 review David.
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Jochen, I sent you an email because I did not know who the subscription was from - nor did the system. It seems that if you don't use the same email, and have a different user name, it's possible for the sub not to get associated with the account. I've updated it manually now, and the next job is to find out how to avoid the error.

Paypal.co.uk seemed to be doing things right, I switched to Paypal.com because of error messages - now it is no longer producing any errors, but it seems to be doing things wrong.

David
Neonsquare
Heirophant

Unread post by Neonsquare »

Yes, I used another email address from what is normally registered with my paypal account.

Jochen
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I am glad that other people are appreciating the value of Photoclubalpha.com and are providing the trifling amound of $10.00 a year in support of David's endeavours. Merry Xmas to all.
ianmiddy
Heirophant

Unread post by ianmiddy »

Well, my 580 has arrived [thanks, Park Cameras - really quick delivery considering weather and xmas!] - annoyingly, I've not got any spare batteries with me at the mo' [only NP400 for the 5D+18-250 that I'll be using over the hols], so the supplied one is on charge...

...but first impressions are good - will want to get a LCD protector [definite advantage of the SLTs], and not a great fan of the new UI, but guess I'll get used to it...

...but [sad to say!] I really love the Sweep Pano mode - very impressed with initial results as compared to the 'old-fashioned' way - can't help but think that on a tripod with a smooth action the results will be even better.

Cheers

IDM
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

gpr2020 wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:Here we go again so just blame me for everything ;-)

Barry Fitzgerald is a synonym for the word cheap. He wants everything at no cost. DK's reviews are well known and well regarded, when Barry Fitzgerald reviews(or bashing) have no impact in the photographic world but only in the inner circle of camera brand bashers. I think that DK is asking a fee and he deserves it for the hard work that he has done. If Barry think that he shouldn't pay as he claims, then he can do his own review of the a580 and share it with the rest of the world.

Aside from making comments that are personal and have no place on this or any other forum..you can think what you like but I'm sticking to my guns on this one. There is actually a reason I don't subscribe and I'd be glad to share that but we've wandered so far off topic now and in the spirit of this time of year it's probably best left to rest. I'll just repeat my view that constructive critique is nothing but good for camera makers and helps the end user in the long run. Some posters have an agenda as is seen on my 10mp v 6mp CCD post jumping in and attacking as per usual even if I try to do something fairly serious and non Sony critical. I'm well used to it by now but it makes for tiresome reading for forum visitors.

Merry Christmas :lol:
gpr2020
Acolyte

Unread post by gpr2020 »

bfitzgerald wrote:

Aside from making comments that are personal and have no place on this or any other forum..you can think what you like but I'm sticking to my guns on this one. There is actually a reason I don't subscribe and I'd be glad to share that but we've wandered so far off topic now and in the spirit of this time of year it's probably best left to rest. I'll just repeat my view that constructive critique is nothing but good for camera makers and helps the end user in the long run. Some posters have an agenda as is seen on my 10mp v 6mp CCD post jumping in and attacking as per usual even if I try to do something fairly serious and non Sony critical. I'm well used to it by now but it makes for tiresome reading for forum visitors.

[/quote][/quote]

You're not the moderator on this forum, so I'll say what I want. Lot's of people are fed up with your constant bashing at Sony and your cheap way. If DK did not have this forum your life would be more miserable as you would me missing a place to bash at Sony. I thought that you had grown up when you switched to Pentax but you did not. I saw that a couple of folks are already fed up with your crusades on the pentax forum. Have a merry christmas ! I hope the turkey did not cost you too much. And thanks to DK for providing us with reviews and such a website about Sony and the A-mount system. Merry X-MAS to all.
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Talking of moderation I think it's time somebody started doing some! You're simply carrying over your DPR hate campaign onto this forum. Nuff said really keep it up I'm enjoying this!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Kevin is usually quick to stop the personal attacks. Where is he?
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

bakubo wrote:Kevin is usually quick to stop the personal attacks. Where is he?
... playing with his 2 new lenses... :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Actually Barry in general has a point, I think there's quite a few, judging from posts at dpr, who are reluctant to spend large on the A-mount system right now with lenses and other accessories not to mention camera bodies. Not when Sony are putting out such mixed signals on the direction of the system itself, and their failure to allay concerns about a proper A700 replacement....an A77 alone just won't do the job in that section, if one ever appears that is, if they do just offer a '7' SLT only it had better be very very good, foulups like the system flash delay will not be acceptable in that segment.
Greg
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

gpr2020 wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:

You're not the moderator on this forum, so I'll say what I want. Lot's of people are fed up with your constant bashing at Sony and your cheap way. If DK did not have this forum your life would be more miserable as you would me missing a place to bash at Sony. I thought that you had grown up when you switched to Pentax but you did not. I saw that a couple of folks are already fed up with your crusades on the pentax forum. Have a merry christmas ! I hope the turkey did not cost you too much. And thanks to DK for providing us with reviews and such a website about Sony and the A-mount system. Merry X-MAS to all.

I for one am sick of posters coming over from DPRreview and trying to turn this forum into another clone of DPRreview, I'm only interested in poster opinions of cameras/photos and anything related to cameras and I don't care if I agree with them or not. You can learn new things for people who you don't agree with just has well from people you do agree with.
I have no interest in someone opinion of some one they don't even know. There is nothing gained/learned from insults. Posters who think that we all want to read their personal attacks on other posters is sadly mistaken. If you don't like someone, fine, that's your choice but I don't need to know about.

If someone wants to voice a different opinion fine, more views the better, but turning every topic into an attack on someone is a waste of every ones time. I would rather have a conversation with my 5 year old before reading posts that bait/attack posters on any forum.