A77, am I the first to notice?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: A77, am I the first to notice?

Unread post by Birma »

I would not be surprised if the SSS switch has gone in to the menu system as per the A580. Perhaps for the mock up it is easier to show simple push buttons and the real camera may have actual switches etc.

I think I read somehwere that there will be a new 'kit' lens for this camera - perhaps a replacement for the 16-80 CZ or the 16-105?

If they are leaving out CF cards would it be sensible to use two slots similar to the Nex which I think can take SD or MSP cards?

I remember that there were criticisms of the A700 for not having a top plate LCD and they seem to be going to have one this time. I think I'd rather have bigger buttons :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

The transparent mockup looks like it could have a more elaborate screen hinge design.
Imagine the same hinge as a55/33's holding a base to which a Nex-type hinge is attached.

Though, frankly, all the current screen hinge designs are lacking in one way or another. I'd rather have a body with a set of different detachable/interchangeable screens, possibly with different types of hinge.

They could even sell those screens as add-on accessories... And they could even have a touch-screen variety among those :idea:
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I prefer not to have a top plate LCD. It's most commonly failed item in secondhand cameras and they have a limited life (though I have a calculator with an LCD - a Sharp Elsi Mate EL344 with metric conversions and solar power only - which has now been in use for over 30 years without problems. But I've seen many LCD failures on early Canon, Nikon and Minolta AF SLRs.

David
mike2008
Heirophant

Unread post by mike2008 »

While you're here David a quick question about the flash delay on the A55. Is it possible that the red-eye reduction function was active when you did this test on the A55, and that without it there is no lag?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

No, all such settings were disabled and manual flash power was used - with a shoe mounted flash. Also tested using a wireless trigger and a hot shoe adapted cable sync, which shows less delay. No face recognition, smile shutter, red eye or any other such setting active. Image review also turned off.

It's hard to sat why this delay exists as it did not appear to be present in earlier EVF cameras like the KM A2.

My guess, as I may have said before, is that the delay is caused by power management issues. A single rather small battery is having to power live view, a pretty power-hungry sensor, a very powerful fast processor and all mechanical functions. My guess is that flash timing is fixed to operate correctly with the built-in flash (which must be charged from the camera battery) and that dedicated flash units, despite having their own battery source, are being treated the same way. But plain X sync (wireless triggers, hot shoe adaptors) does not suffer the extra 1/6th of a second lag, compared to the A580 etc.

The A77 will presumably have a larger battery and possibly some power management improvements, or simply have this issue corrected for dedicated flash fitted to the shoe.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Maybe they aren't going to put settings overlay on the screen or VF and rely on the LCD. I wonder if there will be a readout line under the VF and not ON it?
Greg
ps. I'm not sure about your request for the strap mount points to be moved so the camera points down Birma, I keep thinking how that would be when using a battery grip, but probably no worse than at present I guess when using one with a heavy lens.

pps. David is there a way to prevent the camera from calculating how the image will look in the EVF when using flash, maybe the camera can do it easily with it's own flash but with all the different system flashes now there might be an extra delay.....maybe.
RubberDials
Heirophant

Unread post by RubberDials »

Birma wrote:I would not be surprised if the SSS switch has gone in to the menu system as per the A580. Perhaps for the mock up it is easier to show simple push buttons and the real camera may have actual switches etc.
A lot of people are calling this a mock up - it isn't a mock up, it the actual camera, with a clear plastic body instead of a mixed materials one. Nothing is going to change.

This is the camera.
RubberDials
Heirophant

David Kilpatrick wrote:I prefer not to have a top plate LCD. It's most commonly failed item in secondhand cameras and they have a limited life (though I have a calculator with an LCD - a Sharp Elsi Mate EL344 with metric conversions and solar power only - which has now been in use for over 30 years without problems. But I've seen many LCD failures on early Canon, Nikon and Minolta AF SLRs.

David
David, this camera will be in the bin long before the LCD fails. DSLR are closer to computers than film cameras and their life is correspondingly short. Manufacturers are only still making them out of metal to satisfy the hugely conservative hobbyist-photography market which still thinks it's using film cameras.
agorabasta
Viceroy

RubberDials wrote:Manufacturers are only still making them out of metal to satisfy the hugely conservative hobbyist-photography market which still thinks it's using film cameras.
That's a hugely superficial notion.

The metal bodies are there to ensure stability of dimensions, thus ensuring reliability.

BTW, the 'metal' mount of the a900/a700 still has the screws holding its outer flange going through the thin body metal into the plastic parts underneath. Screwing them into the body metal would be much weaker - that die-cast frame is too thin and fragile.
RubberDials
Heirophant

agorabasta wrote:
RubberDials wrote:Manufacturers are only still making them out of metal to satisfy the hugely conservative hobbyist-photography market which still thinks it's using film cameras.
That's a hugely superficial notion.
Well, many hobbyist photographers are hugely superficial guys.
agorabasta wrote:
RubberDials wrote:The metal bodies are there to ensure stability of dimensions, thus ensuring reliability.
Why don't all DSLR have metal bodies then? Surely they all need to retain their 'dimensions'.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Why don't all DSLR have metal bodies then? Surely they all need to retain their 'dimensions'.
That's because monies are supposed to buy you pro-grade quality and reliability at a certain price-point.

But you are always welcome to put some CZ 24-70 onto a tripod-mounted a55 and have this setup enduring the hot summer sun for an hour or so...
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

More buttons on the body quite a few more really we'll have to see what they do but that is better than the previous mock up.
I'm not really into top plate LCD's but I don't mind them either neutral for me on that one

I know it's a mock up but the inner flanges of the mount are plastic now (ok might change mock up etc etc) I've not had any problems myself with that on my other bodies 5d, A200 various film ones..but the film 7 I has an all metal one and I've found it's a bit tighter fitting seems more durable than on the 5d (easily my most used body) some lenses are not as tight fitting nothing to get too worked up about not noticing major problems on the 5d but I would expect that to be all metal for a body of this price.
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

bfitzgerald wrote:but I would expect that to be all metal for a body of this price.
It's a mock up. I have yet to see a clear metal...
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Lonnie I don't think you really know what I'm on about!

Take a look at the mount again notice something black behind the silver metal?
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Barry it might be a kind of sealing. Hoping for, of course.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr