Are Sony control dials made of rubber?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Are Sony control dials made of rubber?

Unread post by bakubo »

You know how when rubber gets old it dries out and cracks? Are the control dials on our Sony cameras made of rubber? I have seen what happens when rubber dials are cracked and it is not pretty so I am concerned about my A700 and A100. Cracked rubber dials are really pitiful. Will people laugh at all those cracked rubber dials? Once rubber dials are cracked can they be fixed or will they sadly be cracked forever?
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Are Sony control dials made of rubber?

Unread post by Dusty »

I don't think Sony/i] uses rubber dials. However, the fact that Rubber Dials seem to crack sooner or later is a given. Maybe it's the stress.

Dusty
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

On the A700 the dials are made of rubber. At least that's the feel when you touch them.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dave Russell
Acolyte

Unread post by Dave Russell »

You know how when rubber gets old it dries out and cracks? Are the control dials on our Sony cameras made of rubber? I have seen what happens when rubber dials are cracked and it is not pretty so I am concerned about my A700 and A100. Cracked rubber dials are really pitiful. Will people laugh at all those cracked rubber dials? Once rubber dials are cracked can they be fixed or will they sadly be cracked forever?
A not so clever attack Hendry, cheap shot mate :P
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dave Russell wrote:A not so clever attack Hendry, cheap shot mate :P
Well, well, well. You honor me. You, who out of the 47,260 other posts on this forum, have only found THREE (3) worth your time to respond to and one of them is mine. I must truly be blessed. A grand total of 47,260 posts and mysteriously you were drawn to mine. I do feel fortunate. I just can't get over it, only 3 posts under the Dave Russell id and this was one you felt important enough to make. Thank you.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

bakubo wrote:You know how when rubber gets old it dries out and cracks? Are the control dials on our Sony cameras made of rubber? I have seen what happens when rubber dials are cracked and it is not pretty so I am concerned about my A700 and A100. Cracked rubber dials are really pitiful. Will people laugh at all those cracked rubber dials? Once rubber dials are cracked can they be fixed or will they sadly be cracked forever?
Perish the thought Henry :lol:
Greg
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I think Daffy Duck's catch phrase best sums up my opinion of this topic.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I have "tested" my Alphas, by pressing in the dials with my nails. I agree with Dr Harout that both A700 wheels are made of rubber. However, the single dials on my A350, A550 and A580 all appear to be made of a solid material. I would guess it is a variety of plastic or similar. These latter ones are definitely firm and do not "give" like the A700 wheels. Sony must have realised after release of the A700, that rubber dials were perhaps not a good idea. Or maybe the Value Analysis experts had found out they could save a dime on fitting plastic dials instead. Value Analysis often holds sway.
Dave Russell
Acolyte

Unread post by Dave Russell »

bakubo wrote:
Dave Russell wrote:A not so clever attack Hendry, cheap shot mate :P
Well, well, well. You honor me. You, who out of the 47,260 other posts on this forum, have only found THREE (3) worth your time to respond to and one of them is mine. I must truly be blessed. A grand total of 47,260 posts and mysteriously you were drawn to mine. I do feel fortunate. I just can't get over it, only 3 posts under the Dave Russell id and this was one you felt important enough to make. Thank you.
No need for thank's Hendry :D See, you are important. I'm up to 4 posts now :lol:
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Gentlemen, please lower the tone and return to the subject. I came here from DPReview and expect decorum.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Well, you can expect to see this thread deleted otherwise as it's not contributing anything very useful.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Thanks to Dusty, Doc, and alphaomega for staying on topic.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Well, you can expect to see this thread deleted otherwise as it's not contributing anything very useful.
Sure, it's your forum, do as you please. Your moderation is very hit and miss though and hard to fathom how you determine what rates your action and what doesn't. With the name calling you have allowed recently it seems like you by inaction are encouraging it.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I can't read every post. Unless someone alerts me to what you describe, I can't always be sure to spot it. I think you know my views on name-calling, it has no place at all here, but I do not want to remove threads or turn them into inexplicable non sequiturs by culling selected posts later on.

David
Argonaut
Oligarch

Unread post by Argonaut »

For those of you suffering from Rubber Dial Derangement Syndrome (RDDS) allow me to comment that the dials are NOT natural rubber, aka Vulcanized Latex, but are instead a synthetic. Since there are more synthetics than you can shake a memory stick at, predicting their decomposed future is pure futility. You might just as well speculate on how long it will take for the plastic (ewww! - plastic) LCD cover to oxidize, discolor and fall off like a leprous finger.

But, there is a solution to your nightmares. David has already said he will sell his a700 - do it before RDDS ruins the resale value. Or, you could do what I did - leave the camera in your rental car. Problem Solved!
Sony a77ii, RX-100 I; RX10 iii; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; Tamron 17-50; Sony 70-400G; Lightroom 6.2; Photoshop CS5; PicturesToExe 8.0.