POLL: How much do you use the video function?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.

How much do you use the video function of the A55/A33 and NEX 5/3?

very often
13%
often
17%
occasionally
21%
rarely
4%
almost never
46%

Total votes: 24

stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Re: POLL: How much do you use the video function?

Unread post by stevecim »

tom power 53 wrote: I think that really is the crux of the matter. Because of low volume sale of a pure stills camera (how much better would the A850/900 be doing if they had video/liveview) it is just not economic to do that. If the new A77 A99 etc. are substantially better than there predecessors are they a failure just because they could be a little better for stills? MY opinion is no but I don't do the things that the SLT effects. Also for an astro or microscope photographer the mirror of the SLT's can safely and easily be removed in less than a minute so CDAF can be used with no mirror to effect the image and in many situations worked around. Not all but many.

Almost having your cake and eating it too albeit maybe a smaller slice instead of the whole cake.
Does the A33/A55 even have CDAF? it's not designed to shoot with out the mirror.
mike2008
Heirophant

Unread post by mike2008 »

Greg Beetham wrote:My argument is simply that if they can’t build a really good still camera without any compromises due to including video, at least build ONE model without it, AND build it PROPERLY. The only thing is, that would now be a niche camera, most likely, and the price would probably be extreme.
Greg
Your post reveals an inability to see the compromises inherent in a classic DSLR. It is not a perfect instrument for still photography, it's just what you're used to. There are several compromises inherent in the classic DSLR, which are absent from the DSLT. The most important difference is the movable mirror, which produces vibration, produces dust and can mobilise any dust in the mirror box, blocks the OVF when taking a shot, blocks the AF sensor when taking a shot and limits the fps achievable by the camera, while also adding to the production cost and the chance of mechanical failure. The image seen in the OVF is the reflected image produced by focussing the observed light onto a matte glass surface, which degrades the resolution from that which we see with the eye. The OVF image is not zoomable, and therefore critical focus is very hard to achieve.

These are all compromises you happily accept now. The SLT does not have these compromises, it has other, different ones. It's all a question of choosing which compromises are least likely to affect your shooting. The main impact of the SLT mirror on IQ is a modest amount increase in noise and occasional ghosting. With the new sensors the A55 is working better than the A700 did in terms of dxomark parameters. Is gaining a third of a stop of light really worth more than vibration-free photography? Do I need to take photogrammetric-quality pictures of stars with my DSLR camera? These are the types of question people should be asking, rather than claiming that because DSLT can take video it is compromised for still photography.

PS. It is frustrating to see that when people make reasonable comments about advantages of DSLT and point out that there is some wrong-headedness in the claim that DSLR are 'perfect' that the label 'fanboy' etc. are used. Let's try to keep an open mind, eh.

Oh and by the way, I use DSLR and CCD cameras for scentific research in gas imaging and other applications. I also use them for a hobby to record good moments and produce a little bit of art. I have many pictures printed, up to 1x2m, and share with friends and family who normally are kind enough to say they enjoy them. I think it is very rude to assume that anyone here is not interested in photography.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Well mike2008 they might eventually produce an EVF that's good enough, but at the moment I don't think it is as good as an optical VF, a good OVF that is, I'm not stopping you from using an EVF, go right ahead. My issues are not just the smearing and latency it's the power wastage, it might be of no concern where you are, but I sometimes can be in the outback for a couple of weeks where there are no wall sockets for hundreds of miles.
Do you need to take photogrammetric-quality pictures of stars? I guess not.
Vibration and dust? yes a mirror can produce vibration, but a properly damped one doesn't produce very much that impacts the IQ on a single shot with a fast shutter speed. It's more likely the shutter that produces dust, yes the mirror could stir the dust up, but you have never addressed the issue of the SLT having twice as many shutter actions as a DSLR, that is not only wearing out the shutter twice as fast but potentially producing twice as much dust, and why would the shutter be vibration free if it has to close right before the actual shot.
I never said the SLT was of no value at all, it does have a place, but so does a class camera like the A700 or D300 or A900 or D3. Like I said before with the advances in sensors they could actually make a still only camera that's even better than those, I would like one that has an OVF (at this time), has mirror lockup, tilt screen LV that can zoom show dof and also the focus point while I do stacks with system flash, can the SLT do that?
mike2008 it was an observation that we have never seen any photos from you, all we ever see is you jumping to the defence of Sony at every opportunity, warranted or not. If you were to actually join in in the forum more instead of the one track record of defending Sony I might see you in a different light.
Greg
TomB
Acolyte

Unread post by TomB »

Having good stills and good video together was the reason for buying the A55. I bought a small HD video camera which I used together with my A350 but it was tiring and uncomfortable to have them both on my neck. I use the video mainly for family and work (industrial automation). I bought a monopod and the quality of video shots improved dramatically (level, smooth zoom, …). Now I think of buying the microphone ECM-ALST1 - does anyone have an experience?
For me the A55 is almost perfect combination. I would wish quicker switch between stills and video shooting (especially switching after taking several stills takes too much time).
My friend is a TV news cameraman and he says the low light shots of A55 are better than of his pro camera (this of course doesn't mean the A55 is better for video than a pro video camera).
longvale
Acolyte

Unread post by longvale »

"TOM B Now I think of buying the microphone ECM-ALST1 - does anyone have an experience?"

I've used a generic shotgun microphone with my A33. Firstly I placed it on a tripod away from the camera because of the noise of the af motor in the SAM lens. This was quite successful OUTSIDE. If you are inside the noise from the lens autofocussing still gets picked up by the mic. I have also tried fixing the mic to the hotshoe but every which way I choose the AF motor noise is a perfect nuisance. My guess is you'll have the same problem with the ECM-ALST1.
mike2008
Heirophant

Unread post by mike2008 »

Greg Beetham wrote:mike2008 it was an observation that we have never seen any photos from you, all we ever see is you jumping to the defence of Sony at every opportunity, warranted or not. If you were to actually join in in the forum more instead of the one track record of defending Sony I might see you in a different light.
Greg
I don't defend sony I point out where some of the 'know-it-alls' here such as yourself start crapping on about how perfect dslrs are without thinking things through. It's like a little club where everyone agrees the world is going bad and it was so much better in the old days. Wake the hell up and start using your brains for a change. My interest in posting here has nothing to do with getting stranger's opinions of my photos. I do sometimes enjoy pointing out idiocy when I see it, but prmarily I post here because there are a few people who actually know what they're talking about. You're not one of them, I'm afraid.
Scooterman
Oligarch

Unread post by Scooterman »

mike2008 wrote:
Greg Beetham wrote:mike2008 it was an observation that we have never seen any photos from you, all we ever see is you jumping to the defence of Sony at every opportunity, warranted or not. If you were to actually join in in the forum more instead of the one track record of defending Sony I might see you in a different light.
Greg
I don't defend sony I point out where some of the 'know-it-alls' here such as yourself start crapping on about how perfect dslrs are without thinking things through. It's like a little club where everyone agrees the world is going bad and it was so much better in the old days. Wake the hell up and start using your brains for a change. My interest in posting here has nothing to do with getting stranger's opinions of my photos. I do sometimes enjoy pointing out idiocy when I see it, but prmarily I post here because there are a few people who actually know what they're talking about. You're not one of them, I'm afraid.
Nothing is perfect and some will think Sony may be doing thing they do not like, what ever we say Sony will “play” to the masses where the profit is.
I am one of those who are “on the fence” and as I have said before if it suits me I may part with some of my meagre pension.
If I don’t like the way that they are going I can always change my system to one I do like, just like Barry. :wink:
So let’s try and keep it friendly on this forum.
Ps; I am going to see the Sony stand at the UK’s NEC on Tuesday, and maybe see and handle the new A-77 or what ever it will be, also if I can the new 500mm lens, maybe I can tuck that under my coat and make a quick getaway. :mrgreen:
Richard
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Hmm methinks he doth protest too much; mike2008 if I never get anything right why do you take so much notice of what I have to say? Or do you only take notice of things selectively; things that are too difficult are ignored?
I have a solution, just put me on your ignore list.
It seems to me that, aspects of photography that you do not do yourself are entirely unnecessary for anyone to do, no one needs the facilities and features in a camera that enables those segments of photography to be done…according to you. Or is it that, if Sony didn’t put it in the camera, automatically no one needs that feature?
By all means continue the good fight on behalf of Sony to build handicapped still cameras with limited feature sets, and that can on occasion, re-invent reality with phantom artefacts worse than any other type of camera so far. And I don’t have to know what I’m talking about to say that, it happens to be a fact.
Greg

ps. Lots of luck with that Richard
Scooterman
Oligarch

Unread post by Scooterman »

ps. Lots of luck with that Richard
What is that Greg, nicking the 500mm lens? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

mike2008 wrote: I don't defend sony I point out where some of the 'know-it-alls' here such as yourself start crapping on about how perfect dslrs are without thinking things through. It's like a little club where everyone agrees the world is going bad and it was so much better in the old days. Wake the hell up and start using your brains for a change. My interest in posting here has nothing to do with getting stranger's opinions of my photos. I do sometimes enjoy pointing out idiocy when I see it, but prmarily I post here because there are a few people who actually know what they're talking about. You're not one of them, I'm afraid.
Mike, I think the level of personal insult in your post is way beyond robust discussion. It does nothing to further your argument. Any chance you could tone it down?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.