POLL: How much do you use the video function?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.

How much do you use the video function of the A55/A33 and NEX 5/3?

very often
13%
often
17%
occasionally
21%
rarely
4%
almost never
46%

Total votes: 24

bakubo
Tower of Babel

POLL: How much do you use the video function?

Unread post by bakubo »

In another thread agorabasta is discussing the SLT/NEX compromises to still image quality in order for them to have video. I got to wondering how much people are using the video function of their cameras. How much do you use the video function compared to the still photo function?

Feel free to post your thoughts and feel free to post links to your videos.
Last edited by bakubo on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: POLL: How much do you use the video function?

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I wish I could participate. Though we do have an A55 at home, my answer would be "as much as photo", a few shots and a few videos (not more than 5-6).
So, I have no answer. I guess my son can vote.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:Though we do have an A55 at home, my answer would be "as much as photo", a few shots and a few videos (not more than 5-6).
You bring up a good point and maybe my poll question answers could have been a bit different, but maybe they will work okay. Probably the easiest way to answer the question is just to count up the number of still photos and the number of video clips you have taken. If you have 1000 still photos and 1000 video clips then you use the still and video functions equally.
Dr. Harout wrote: So, I have no answer. I guess my son can vote.
I hope he will vote then.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Guess what, I bought my a580 photo camera for shooting photo's! Real shocker, isn't it?! :lol:

If there was a current Sony camera which didn't have a video option but the image quality of the a580, I probably would have bought that camera.

I voted "almost never" because "never ever" wasn't an option.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I voted "almost never" because although I have both the A580 and NEX-5 I have to admit I am still to press that red button on either. Did not buy because of video but A580 because of IQ and 16Mp and NEX-5 because of DSLR quality in a neat little package.
Scooterman
Oligarch

Unread post by Scooterman »

If I had the A-55 or NEX it would be, checked to see if was ok, then most probably never again as I have with my A-580 far to busy taking stills, that is if our weather starts to improve. :?
Richard
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

With a new baby on the way and no video camera, video was a big reason I got the NEX5.
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

bakubo wrote:In another thread agorabasta is discussing the SLT/NEX compromises to still image quality in order for them to have video. I got to wondering how much people are using the video function of their cameras. How much do you use the video function compared to the still photo function?

Feel free to post your thoughts and feel free to post links to your videos.
You left out the choice of never which is probably a common one.

Walt
mike2008
Heirophant

Unread post by mike2008 »

Oh good, yet another thread with ex-minoltians complaining how video killed the stills photographer, while happily ignoring all the benefits that dslt brings to stills. Just what we needed. Congrats...
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Well I can't vote....hmmm maybe if I bought a new camera I could then not use the video gim err feature...Actually I wonder of those who do use the video feature, how many are happy with their results?
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

mike2008 wrote:Oh good, yet another thread with ex-minoltians complaining how video killed the stills photographer, while happily ignoring all the benefits that dslt brings to stills. Just what we needed. Congrats...
It was a very simple question that you choose to yet again add your negativity to. Why turn this into one of your way too common negative threads?

As a real change why not post some of your photos in one of the many photo threads, relax, and enjoy?
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I voted rarely as I don't use it often but have done a few times it's a nice bonus feature for me not something that is hugely important.
The only people who think video kills stills photography are wedding video shooters but they know that's not true it's just a "wish" ;-)

Photography didn't kill painting and painting didn't kill sketch artists either there are creative choices for artistic mediums that survive because they are all unique. Video is a unique area too in it's own right. But I still think it's not high up the must have or for very serious use for most stills shooters.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

While I plan on buying a 580 when funds permit, I doubt I'll hit the video button very often. Once in a while, when I think something special deserves a motion instead of still picture, sure. I believe I used it once on my old Canon P&S.

Didn't vote since I don't yet qualify.

Dusty
twm47099
Oligarch

Unread post by twm47099 »

I can't vote because I don't have the cameras mentioned. But I have a bridge camera with video capability and I actually used video 3 times at one sitting - to make sure it worked. I've had it since 2006 and have never used video since.

Video is not even on my list of features that I use to compare new camera purchases. Maybe when we all have Harry Potter picture frames I would find a use for it (but I doubt it). With most amateur videos (e.g. U-Tube), I find myself skipping as much as I can to get to the point of the video. It is a good education on why film directors make a bit more $$ than most of us and on the hubris of the population.

Now if my kids were little, I might be more interested. I had 2 VHS video cameras (the big ones) and before that a Super 8 camera. I have looked at those videos once or twice after I made them (and only in private or with my wife, so as not to inflict them on unsuspecting friends or family.)

tom
Argonaut
Oligarch

Unread post by Argonaut »

Can't answer the poll because my a55 just arrived and I haven't taken *any* photos yet. OTOH, maybe that means I'm equally interested in stills and video. More seriously, saying, "If you have 1000 still photos and 1000 video clips then you use the still and video functions equally," is, IMHO, incorrect. If one is telling a story, then a minute of video is equivalent to more than one still.

Moving on. The bottom line is, making a good video is damn difficult. I've tried, with video-dedicated equipment. Putting a story together in video is a lot harder than doing it with stills - for starters, you can't crop a video. Think about it. What about color correcting a video - serious time in Photoshop there. And then there's the *necessity* of a sound track with video. That's a skill set most of us don't have, not to mention proper mics for live recording. I could go on ....

So, I own a couple of P&S's with optional video, and use it so rarely as not to matter. The a55 offers better quality, and interchangeable lenses. My slide show software (PTE) will allow HD video in its next version (7.0) and I may be tempted to insert some video into my slide shows. But, I know how difficult shooting good video is and I suspect I won't do it very often. Video is not the reason I bought an a55.
Sony a77ii, RX-100 I; RX10 iii; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; Tamron 17-50; Sony 70-400G; Lightroom 6.2; Photoshop CS5; PicturesToExe 8.0.