POLL: How much do you use the video function?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.

How much do you use the video function of the A55/A33 and NEX 5/3?

very often
13%
often
17%
occasionally
21%
rarely
4%
almost never
46%

Total votes: 24

Scooterman
Oligarch

Re: POLL: How much do you use the video function?

Unread post by Scooterman »

OneGuyKs wrote:I bet a lot of people who don't even A55/Nex, like Walt, have voted in this poll. The poll is screwed up and does not represent actual Nex users who will answer differently.
Barry voted and he does not even have a Sony capable of video?
I have A-580 but like many have tried it on video but will use my DSLR for mainly stills, but who knows I may want the video side to use some time, it is there in the camera and if I want it I have got it to use.
Richard
Dave Russell
Acolyte

Unread post by Dave Russell »

I have an old H1 and R1 so don't qualify to vote but will be stepping up to A77 or next Nex when these new models appear. I am waiting to see how good they are then I'll make my mind up. But any stepup model for me must have video and I would be using it (fairly often). But the camera is predominately for stills. I happen to like the idea of video and stills combined.

The H1 still sees use as a video cam for the grandaughters horse riding, very short clips no more than a min at a time. If these new models are very expensive I will probably go with the A55 as it will beat what I've got at the moment by quite a margin. I have plenty of time so there is no rush :)

Davy.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

mike2008 wrote:Everyone here is interested in still photography, you should ask on a video-orientated forum if you want to see if the video from the DSLT is well-liked or not.
It is strange to me why some here do not want anyone to know which choice forum members make. In fact, some here do not want the question even asked. That is very strange. Why? I wonder what other questions should not be asked? :) Oh, if only you could be the all-powerful censor! There are always a few who want to control everything and become so upset when anyone asks something that should not be asked. :)
mike2008 wrote:I think you should calm down a bit.
Quite calm. :D Hey, post some photos! We have several photo threads going right now or you can start your own. Feel free to post some videos too!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

OneGuyKs wrote:DPR is still photography only site and polls on that site are not true representative of users. Ask on divx web site how many people who own DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras use it for video, and the answer would be 99%.
No, DPR is a camera/gear website. The A55/A33 is a camera. There are some still photography sites, but DPR is most definitely not one of them. It is a gear site. This forum we have a lot more people who post photos (although mike2008 never seems to post his photos and I don't recall you ever posting yours either), but it is a Sony camera/gear forum.
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

bakubo wrote:
OneGuyKs wrote:DPR is still photography only site and polls on that site are not true representative of users. Ask on divx web site how many people who own DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras use it for video, and the answer would be 99%.
No, DPR is a camera/gear website. The A55/A33 is a camera. There are some still photography sites, but DPR is most definitely not one of them. It is a gear site. This forum we have a lot more people who post photos (although mike2008 never seems to post his photos and I don't recall you ever posting yours either), but it is a Sony camera/gear forum.
DPR is still gear site for still cameras. Do a poll on divx forum on how many use their DSLR for video, and the result would be 99%. Tell them that you are against video on DSLR, and they will laugh you out of there as an idiot.
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

Scooterman wrote:
OneGuyKs wrote:I bet a lot of people who don't even A55/Nex, like Walt, have voted in this poll. The poll is screwed up and does not represent actual Nex users who will answer differently.
Barry voted and he does not even have a Sony capable of video?
Richard
Exactly. People who don't even own Nex and A55 voted in the poll. We can safely dismiss this poll result as a desperation from same usual anti-sony anti-a55/nex trolls.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

bakubo wrote:I wonder what other questions should not be asked? :)
Well, the questions like "Isn't the grass predominately green?" and/or "Isn't the colour of the clear skies quite blue, most of the time, n'est pas?".

Hope you get the general idea... :lol:

At the same time, Henry, I'm mostly quite sympathetic towards the 'your' view at the 'issues'. I just don't take it all too serious. Whenever I need to really get closer to really 'serious', I may go buy a 645D plus some lenses...
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Henry, how about rephrasing the title: "How much do/would you use the video function"? (if your camera has/had the option)
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

OneGuyKs wrote:DPR is still gear site for still cameras. Do a poll on divx forum on how many use their DSLR for video, and the result would be 99%. Tell them that you are against video on DSLR, and they will laugh you out of there as an idiot.
So, you are saying the A55/A33 video is only for videophiles? If so, why bother putting it in a still photo camera? I think Sony put video into this integrated still/video camera so that it could easily and seamlessly be used for both. By the way, please go through this thread and find where I said I am "against video on DSLR" because I can't find it. You clearly have an agenda with preconceived notions and see everything through that prism. Open your mind a bit and you might be surprised what you discover! :D

Ahh, the ol' idiot insult gets thrown about. Figured you would get to something like that soon. Let's see, stupid, asshole, and many others have not been used yet, but I have seen them before. :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

OneGuyKs wrote:We can safely dismiss this poll result as a desperation from same usual anti-sony anti-a55/nex trolls.
Chill out, man. It is just a simple poll on a Sony camera forum. You and the other guy act like your actual life or your family's life depends on what gets asked on this forum.

Your agenda is clear though. You think you should be able to control what people say, ask, and even think and it is causing you severe mental anguish that it isn't working. Oh well, I am sure you will keep trying. :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

agorabasta wrote:At the same time, Henry, I'm mostly quite sympathetic towards the 'your' view at the 'issues'.
I am not sure that I have really said anything about what my view is about video. I asked what seems to be a neutral question and provided the full range of possible answers. I have read it several times and the question and answers seem to be unbiased to me.
agorabasta wrote: I just don't take it all too serious. Whenever I need to really get closer to really 'serious', I may go buy a 645D plus some lenses...
I am not all that familiar with that camera. Does it also have fast AF with video?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:Henry, how about rephrasing the title: "How much do/would you use the video function"? (if your camera has/had the option)
I'll have to check, but I don't think I can edit the poll question and/or responses after it has been created.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

bakubo wrote:I am not sure that I have really said anything about what my view is about video.
I'm not quite sure either. I'm not quite sure you left anybody here doubting of what your views really are...

And of that '645D', I only remember it's made by some obscure manufacturer whose name sounds much like 'panties'. Ask Barry, would you please?
I'm not serious enough, remember? :wink:
tom power 53
Heirophant

Unread post by tom power 53 »

bakubo wrote:
tom power 53 wrote:Maybe it is a good question in some ways. It is just that it questions the frequency of use - not importance of the feature to the person responding. To me the two (frequency and importance) would need to be weighed together to get any meaningful insight as to the video features value.
Nothing is perfect. I suggest you start a poll that asks the question the way you prefer. It is really simple to make a poll.
tom power 53 wrote: I guess I am assuming - maybe wrongly - that you are trying to see if this feature is worth having on the camera or not for most people.
No, I just wanted to see how much people are using the video function so I don't understand why I see, what I perceive to be, so much defensiveness. Why do several people seem to be offended that the question is asked?

I asked because Sony said they wouldn't do video until they could do it right and then came out with the A55/A33 when they were able to do it right. David has posted a video or two, I think, but I have seen very few others. Sony finally created their still/video integrated camera that is done right so, I think, it is natural to wonder how much people are using the video function. I think it was a mistake on my part to include the NEX 5/3 in my poll though.

Maybe the reason there have been so few videos shown is because no one has started a thread dedicated to them. Maybe I will start one so people will have a place to post them. Thanks for giving me the idea!

Okay I think I see what you are getting at now and yes some people getting defensive

I assumed wrongly you were trying to poll people to see if video should be included on a camera or not.

I can't answer to actual use since it is not on my camera.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

tom power 53 wrote:I assumed wrongly you were trying to poll people to see if video should be included on a camera or not.
I have never claimed to be Einstein, but if I had meant to ask people whether they thought video should be included in a camera then I am confident I could have constructed a question that asked that. :D Maybe something like this:

Do you think video should be included in a camera?

* yes
* no

Anyway, it has been interesting to see how a few people get so offended by a very simple question -- I am not including you in this. By the way, the motivation for the question is completely irrelevant, IMO. The question stands on its own. Even if someone thinks the motivation is something they might not agree with I still think that is irrelevant. Well, irrelevant unless the persons truly believe they should be censors to prevent any speech or thought that they don't like. I guess on this forum only David has that power and he is circumspect in using it. And that brings up a good point. The ones who do want to have that kind of control have the option of creating their own forums where they can exercise complete control on what is posted, what is allowed to remain, and what is immediately deleted.
Last edited by bakubo on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.